1 Gig Ram is Enough !?

Old November 5th 05, 02:16 AM

Default 1 Gig Ram is Enough !?

AMD X2 4200 dual core
Asus A8N SLI Premium
2 x Geforce 7800 GTX

This is a gaming system.. it currently has two sticks of 512 meg
corsair 400mzh at 2-2-2-5 in slots 1 and 3.... The system seems to
kick arse... but I'm curious if I am missing anything....

What (if any) benefits would I see by going to 4 x 512 meg sticks?

Old November 5th 05, 03:16 AM
Ed Light

It depends on whether your game would use it.
You could run task manager during a game and then alt-tab out and see how
much free memory you have left. If lots, then you don't need more.

On the other hand it's nice to have a mammoth disk cache for reentering
levels quickly.

Trainz didn't really start to be comfortable until I put in 2 gigs. But it
is a freak, because people can create their own worlds and they put in as
much detail as they like and then you need a Cray to run it. The worlds can
be fine art.

If you plan on using Vista 64 bit, I saw one list of what it would like and
it said 2 gigs. So if you're getting a matched set for dual channel it would
be a good idea to get it all at once so it's truly matched. Manufacturers
can change their memory a little under the same part numbers.

These days you could get 2 1-gig sticks for about what 4 512 sticks would
cost.

As you've noticed if you've checked in tast manager, XP starting up with an
antivirus and sound card uses about a quarter-gig. For some reason, it pages
some stuff to disk even when it's starting up in 2 gigs.

But you may not need 2 gigs.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

Old November 5th 05, 06:24 AM
Alex broden

1 Gig is greate for me. Might get 2 When i get my X2 3800+. Want to
use it for HD video encodeing as well as games and such :0