X2 3800 vs A64 4000+

Old September 26th 05, 03:13 PM
dino

Default X2 3800 vs A64 4000+

A64 X2-3800 or A64-4000+
was looking at either CPU because of the similar pricing..was going to put
it on an Asus A8V deluxe or an MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (if I can find one). I
do quite abit of gaming, plus a fair bit of audio and video ripping.I will
be using my existing parts
Enermax 465FM PSU
Corsair TwinXpc3200C2PT-1024
ATI X800XL
1-LG DVD-RW/1-DVD ROM
2-120 Max SATA
1-30 Max IDE
SB Audigy 2ZS MP3
any constructive input would be appreciated

Old September 26th 05, 04:25 PM
Cuzman

dino wrote:

" was looking at either CPU because of the similar pricing..was going
to put it on an Asus A8V deluxe or an MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (if I can
find one). I do quite abit of gaming, plus a fair bit of audio and video
ripping. "

Most people don't really notice the performance advantage of a 4000+
over an X2 3800+ in current games and other single-threaded
applications. They do, however, certainly notice the performance
advantages that an X2 3800+ has over a 4000+ with multi-threaded
applications.

The best advice I can give is to read the reviews and decide for yourself:

http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q3...0/index.x?pg=1
http://www.legitreviews.com/article.php?aid=226
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/200508011/
http://www.techwarelabs.com/reviews/...rs/amd3800_x2/
http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=1758
http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardwar...le.php/3524426
http://amdzone.com/modules.php?op=mo...tid=164&page=1
Old September 26th 05, 05:53 PM
dino

so from what I have read..if I want to spend $500CDN to average performance
of a AMD A643200 then I should buy and X2 3800. I may as well spend the
money on a 4000 and have the gains I am looking for. Thank you for the
links, I think they saved me from having been disappointed.

Old September 26th 05, 06:07 PM
Brian

dino wrote:
A64 X2-3800 or A64-4000+
was looking at either CPU because of the similar pricing..was going to put
it on an Asus A8V deluxe or an MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (if I can find one). I
do quite abit of gaming, plus a fair bit of audio and video ripping.I will
be using my existing parts

I'd stick with the single core processor unless you have a very
specific application in mind for dual core processing. You'll
want some benchmarks saying why dual core is better.

Ripping and encoding walks the fine line of cpu vs io bound
processing. I don't think there's much to gain from dual core
for those apps.

Dual core adds a nice fluid feel to the GUI tho. Windows tends
to repaint even when the system is under stress. It's a worthwhile
feature if you want to use the computer while doing some intense
stuff in the background. Linux doesn't benefit as much from this.
Or at least, RedHat Fedora Core 4 x64 didn't IMHO.

Enermax 465FM PSU
Corsair TwinXpc3200C2PT-1024
ATI X800XL
1-LG DVD-RW/1-DVD ROM
2-120 Max SATA

Dunno what this means. Is this 240GB raid 0?

The striped raid performance on my recent system build was nearly
zero percent improvement. I'd go for one 500GB drive vs two 250GB
drives if I had it to do over again. Less wear, noise, crash
vulnerability.

Old September 26th 05, 06:14 PM
Gojira

I can't seem to find any reviews of the 4400+,which I considering.Like to
see how it compares in gaming next to the 4000+.I read the 3800X2 is only
comparable to a 3200+ in games,I 'd like a bit better performance than that.

Old September 26th 05, 06:51 PM
dino

yes they are in RAID 0...but when I redo the system..am just gonna run them
as individual SATA drives. As U said..the performance isn't there.

Old September 26th 05, 10:54 PM
Chinooks_FURY

Go for the 4000+ and team it with that ASUS A8V Delux. Get yourself a
ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED ($70) for the CPU and overclock the 4000+ to 2.8Ghz and
you have yourself a FX-57!

Honestly, "dual core-dom" is 24 months out, so might as well enjoy the best
of single core power for that time. The 4000+ is such a good buy for $384.

You won't be disappointed.

Old September 26th 05, 11:03 PM
Chinooks_FURY

Oops - - - I mean $368!!!