CPU fan problems

Old September 25th 05, 05:18 AM
At my comp

Default CPU fan problems

My PC has been pretty quiet and cool since I got it about four months
ago, but now my AMD CPU fan is loud around twenty minutes after I boot
the machine and my case is much warmer! By now, the fan's blades are
coated with a very thin layer of dust.
-Is it possible that it's just poorly made and failing early, or is it
unusually sensitive to dust and need compressed air?
-If a new fan is required, what is the cheapest replacement fan (for
Socket 939 AMD64 3000+) that is as quiet or a little better than the
CPU’s stock fan? I would like recommendations based on products/prices
from a reputable store like newegg or mwave.
Old September 25th 05, 07:15 AM
Ed Light

For sure, try blowing it out first.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

Old September 25th 05, 07:20 AM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 21:18:46 -0700, At my comp wrote:

My PC has been pretty quiet and cool since I got it about four months
ago, but now my AMD CPU fan is loud around twenty minutes after I boot
the machine and my case is much warmer! By now, the fan's blades are
coated with a very thin layer of dust.

That thin layer of dust is just like wearing a sweater here in Texas in
July. So what do you think?

-Is it possible that it's just poorly made and failing early, or is it
unusually sensitive to dust and need compressed air? If a new fan is
required, what is the cheapest replacement fan (for Socket 939 AMD64
3000+) that is as quiet or a little better than the CPU's stock fan?
I would like recommendations based on products/prices from a reputable
store like newegg or mwave.

If you want a quiet machine, get a fan adapter for the cooler and use an
80x25mm 2500rpm fan.

Old September 25th 05, 03:09 PM
Peter van der Goes

"At my comp" wrote in message
My PC has been pretty quiet and cool since I got it about four months ago,
but now my AMD CPU fan is loud around twenty minutes after I boot the
machine and my case is much warmer! By now, the fan's blades are coated
with a very thin layer of dust.
-Is it possible that it's just poorly made and failing early, or is it
unusually sensitive to dust and need compressed air?
-If a new fan is required, what is the cheapest replacement fan (for
Socket 939 AMD64 3000+) that is as quiet or a little better than the CPU’s
stock fan? I would like recommendations based on products/prices from a
reputable store like newegg or mwave.

First, if you can see dust on the fan blades, there's probably more dust
between the fins of the heat sink itself. Blow/clean both before buying a
replacement. Do *not* try a vacuum cleaner! Vacuum cleaners generate static
electricity that can kill electronic components.
If cleaning doesn't do the trick, Wes' suggestion will maintain good
cooling, reduce noise and allow you to use easy-to-find/replace 80mm fans.

Old September 26th 05, 01:06 AM
At my comp

Thanks to the replies, but I discovered why the CPU fan was so loud.
Yesterday, I discovered that the CPU fan was reported as the only fan
running—at 6000RPM! Usually, my PC is so quiet that I can hardly tell
that it’s on. I opened the case (while the system was running) and
tapped the exhaust fan gently, and it immediately activated. The CPU fan
slowed to normal speed seconds later, and the whole system has been cool
and quiet again ever since.

I will definitely spray some air to try to clean any invisible layers of
dust. I have an Antec Sonata, which has been the best case I’ve owned,
but the huge exhaust fan grill and Antec logos (bulleted holes) on both
sides are probably to blame for most of the dust. I just remembered that
this model has its own washable filter that should be washed monthly, so
that will probably look like a linty dryer filter by now… Someone told
me that thin nylons can filter dust from coming into the system, so I
will seal the grills after everything is clean.

Is it practical to lubricate computer fans? What type of grease is
appropriate?

Peter van der Goes wrote:
"At my comp" wrote in message

[...]

Have you had problems with iiyama VM Pro 454 or 451 monitors? Irish Rover Homebuilt PC's 8 January 8th 05 12:29 AM
Sapphire Radeon 9800SE + Shuttle machine = Problems Jiri Kuukasjärvi General 2 September 12th 04 11:17 AM
Omega Drivers Striker Ati Videocards 14 June 10th 04 02:40 PM
Major Computer Problems Toronto Garage Door Company General 20 November 13th 03 10:41 PM
FX problems. Drivers or hardware? NickNick Nvidia Videocards 6 September 15th 03 12:01 AM