20 to 24 pin adapter for mobo

Old September 23rd 05, 02:53 PM
Dennis Gordon

Default 20 to 24 pin adapter for mobo

Hi everyone...

I'm considering purchasing an EP-9NPA+Ultra to run an X2 build. I have an
Enermax EG651P-VE 550W PSU that has a 20 pin ATX connector. I've ordered a
20-24 pin adapter. Are there any issues with this board and a 20 pin ATX
power line? I know that some boards, like the DFI series, require a true 24
pin PSU. This will be a business machine. No fancy video cards or anything,
just a bunch of SCSI drives. The Enermax is a beaut of a PSU and I'd like to
use it. Thanks...

Old September 23rd 05, 07:15 PM
Wes Newell

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 13:53:07 +0000, Dennis Gordon wrote:

I'm considering purchasing an EP-9NPA+Ultra to run an X2 build. I have an
Enermax EG651P-VE 550W PSU that has a 20 pin ATX connector. I've ordered a
20-24 pin adapter. Are there any issues with this board and a 20 pin ATX
power line? I know that some boards, like the DFI series, require a true 24
pin PSU. This will be a business machine. No fancy video cards or anything,
just a bunch of SCSI drives. The Enermax is a beaut of a PSU and I'd like to
use it. Thanks...

Shouldn't be a problem. And there also shouldn't be a problem with a DFI
board either. Curious why you think there would be. The 24pin adapter
provides the exact same 24pin connections as a "true" 24pin PSU does. The
only time it wouldn't work is if the PSU didn't provide enough power to
begin with. In that case the connector wouldn't matter.

Old September 23rd 05, 07:34 PM
Dennis Gordon

Thanks for the assurance. There seems to be some divergence of opinion, but
I think this supply is up to it.

As for DFI... I was thinking of this thread (and others over at HardForum:

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.ph...14&postcount=5

I've seen several posts that maintained that the new DFI boards need "true"
24 pin connectors. Don't know if it's true or hearsay...

newsan.2005.09.23.18.21.04.906851@TAKEOUTverizon .net...

Old September 24th 05, 08:49 AM
Wes Newell

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 18:34:17 +0000, Dennis Gordon wrote:

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
[...]

It's BS. However, it may be true that if you call tech support and tell
them you are using anything less than a 24pin 480W minimum PSU, they won't
support you (even though the manual states 400W minimum). Now if you read
the whole thread you will note that there are many people using 20pin
PSU's with adapters. As with many tech support departments these days,
they are idiots to begin with. And that was a real easy conclusion to come
to after reading the thread. As long as the 20pin PSU you have is capable
of the load required on each rail (and it is if it's not defective), it
will work. I don't care if it's 20 pin, 24 pin, $200, or $20. Anyone tells
you different is just a moron. You should not have any problem using your
current 550W PSU.

Old September 24th 05, 02:03 PM
Dennis Gordon

That's kinda what I suspected, but I sometimes get swayed by hysterical
advice. Thanks for taking a peek