RAM suggestions for this new AMD rig . . .

Old September 20th 05, 06:50 AM
Chinooks_FURY

Default RAM suggestions for this new AMD rig . . .

My first build:

This rig is for gaming. Want the most stable 2 GB's (2x1GB sticks) of RAM
out there for the non-OC'er. Don't know the first thing about OC'ing, just
want great RAM stock out of the box - money no object. Thanks in advance.

Build Specs:

Lian-Li PC-75B
PC Power & Cooling 510 SLI-PFC ATX12V 510W
DFI LANParty SLI-DR
AMD Athlon 64 4000+
XFX PVT70FUNDE Geforce 7800GTX
Plextor PX-716AL/SW - primary
Plextor PX-740A/SW-BL - secondary
Western Digital Raptor 74GB
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
Windows XP Pro SP2

Old September 20th 05, 08:03 AM
TonyC

"Chinooks_FURY" wrote in message
My first build:

This rig is for gaming. Want the most stable 2 GB's (2x1GB sticks) of RAM
out there for the non-OC'er. Don't know the first thing about OC'ing,
just
want great RAM stock out of the box - money no object. Thanks in advance.

Build Specs:

Lian-Li PC-75B
PC Power & Cooling 510 SLI-PFC ATX12V 510W
DFI LANParty SLI-DR
AMD Athlon 64 4000+
XFX PVT70FUNDE Geforce 7800GTX
Plextor PX-716AL/SW - primary
Plextor PX-740A/SW-BL - secondary
Western Digital Raptor 74GB
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
Windows XP Pro SP2

Crucial Ballistix or OCZ.

Old September 20th 05, 09:14 AM
NoNoBadDog!

"Chinooks_FURY" wrote in message
My first build:

This rig is for gaming. Want the most stable 2 GB's (2x1GB sticks) of RAM
out there for the non-OC'er. Don't know the first thing about OC'ing,
just
want great RAM stock out of the box - money no object. Thanks in advance.

Build Specs:

Lian-Li PC-75B
PC Power & Cooling 510 SLI-PFC ATX12V 510W
DFI LANParty SLI-DR
AMD Athlon 64 4000+
XFX PVT70FUNDE Geforce 7800GTX
Plextor PX-716AL/SW - primary
Plextor PX-740A/SW-BL - secondary
Western Digital Raptor 74GB
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
Windows XP Pro SP2

Corsair is the absolute best RAM out there.
I am running 2 1GB sticks PC3200 2-2-2-5 (AMD 4000+)
It is the best RAM I have ever used...

Bobby

Old September 20th 05, 04:56 PM
Chinooks_FURY

Which series of Corsair? Thanks for post.

Old September 20th 05, 06:16 PM
TonyC

Corsair is the absolute best RAM out there.
I am running 2 1GB sticks PC3200 2-2-2-5 (AMD 4000+)
It is the best RAM I have ever used...

Bobby

Corsair gets slated over at http://www.dfi-street.com/

Choice is yours, but I wouldn't part with a penny until I've asked the
experts and read plenty at DFI Street.

Tony.

Old September 20th 05, 08:17 PM
NoNoBadDog!

"TonyC" wrote in message
Corsair is the absolute best RAM out there.
I am running 2 1GB sticks PC3200 2-2-2-5 (AMD 4000+)
It is the best RAM I have ever used...

Bobby

Corsair gets slated over at http://www.dfi-street.com/

Choice is yours, but I wouldn't part with a penny until I've asked the
experts and read plenty at DFI Street.

Tony.

By one person...Sheesh.

Corsair is top drawer memory.

Using standard benchmarks, it beat OCZ on my system.

It is stable, fast, and very OC'able.

To others reading this post...dfi-street is a forum where people post their
opinions. the opinions posted there are not meant to be taken as gospel
truth. One individual had an issue with Corsair (probably because he had the
core voltage set too low).

Bobby

Old September 20th 05, 09:41 PM
TonyC

By one person...Sheesh.

Corsair is top drawer memory.

Using standard benchmarks, it beat OCZ on my system.

It is stable, fast, and very OC'able.

To others reading this post...dfi-street is a forum where people post
their opinions. the opinions posted there are not meant to be taken as
gospel truth. One individual had an issue with Corsair (probably because
he had the core voltage set too low).

Bobby

Doesn't that apply to any opinion posted anywhere on the net? You have a
point though. It's still a good place for him to visit, as he owns a DFI
board.

Old September 20th 05, 09:58 PM
Ed Light

I'm shy of Corsair. Got two Value Selects and they had different chipsets
and wouldn't run in dual channel. So I would advise to get a dual channel
kit.

I'm running four 512 Kingmax (2 dual-channel kits) and they run in
dual-channel at pc3200, if set manually. Passed a night of memtest86.

I see on newegg that people are happy with the Corsair Value Select 2 gig
dual channel kit.
If you're not overclocking, that would be a great choice.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

Old September 20th 05, 10:36 PM
Brian

Chinooks_FURY wrote:
My first build:

This rig is for gaming. Want the most stable 2 GB's (2x1GB sticks) of RAM
out there for the non-OC'er. Don't know the first thing about OC'ing, just
want great RAM stock out of the box - money no object. Thanks in advance.

Non-oc'er makes it pretty easy, doesn't it? Buy from the most reputable
dealer with the easiest return policy. Buy local if everything else is
equal.

I bought a 2GB OCZ kit from newegg. One stick was DOA. I was out
shipping both ways. I was out time too of course.

I bought Crucial direct the second time. It was a toss up between
Crucial and running down to Fry's (they'll take anything back at this
particular store). Finally decided on Crucial because of a solid four
or five year history with them. No problems.

Old September 20th 05, 11:22 PM
NoNoBadDog!

"Ed Light" wrote in message
I'm shy of Corsair. Got two Value Selects and they had different chipsets
and wouldn't run in dual channel. So I would advise to get a dual channel
kit.

I'm running four 512 Kingmax (2 dual-channel kits) and they run in
dual-channel at pc3200, if set manually. Passed a night of memtest86.

I see on newegg that people are happy with the Corsair Value Select 2 gig
dual channel kit.
If you're not overclocking, that would be a great choice.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

When you buy unmatched pairs, you run the risk of getting mismatched sticks.
This is true of *ANY* RAM vendor, not just Corsair. If you are going to be
running Dual Channel, you *must* specify matched pairs.

Bobby