Sempron 64 2500+ really 64-bit ?

Old September 11th 05, 06:36 PM

Default Sempron 64 2500+ really 64-bit ?

This thing is driving me nuts. I've heard a lot about entry-level
(low PR) S754 Semprons that were recently introduced into the market,
labeled "Sempron 64". I know about 32-bit Socket A and Socket 754
Semprons, but these newer CPUs starting from 2500+ are touted as
64-bit.

Finding authoritative confirmation that they are indeed full 64-bit
CPUs is more difficult than I thought. It's impracticable to
investigate all the links turned up by Google by searching for
"Sempron 64".

I have not been able to find any information at the AMD site about
64-bit Semprons. The first time I searched for "Sempron 64", it
returned "Search forbidden" in giant black letters.

There's no doubt that AMD now makes 64-bit Semprons in S754 and
Tom's Hardware lists them (including the 2500+ whose specs are given
as 90nm, SSE3, etc.), but then goes on to say :
"Sempron 64 users (3400+ only) can install Windows XP x64 edition".
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/2005...empron-02.html

The part that confuses me here is the qualifying "3400+ ONLY"
statement, and the lack of info at AMD.

I posted a similar message at alt.comp.hardware which received 0
replies. As I said, it's driving me nuts. Can anyone clarify ?

Old September 11th 05, 07:23 PM
Wes Newell

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 10:36:48 -0700, pjdd wrote:

I posted a similar message at alt.comp.hardware which received 0
replies. As I said, it's driving me nuts. Can anyone clarify ?

AFAIK, all Socket 754 Sempron being produced now are 64 bit enabled. The
first one out was the 3400+, and was the only 64 bit Sempron for a short
period. You'll need to be careful when buying Semprons for some time to
make sure you get a 64 bit version if that's what you want.

Old September 12th 05, 12:51 AM
Chuck

[...]

Quoting http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...841934,00.asp:

"64-bit support: Some Semprons got it, some don't. The Sempron 3400+,
reviewed here, does indeed feature 64-bit support. Lesser models,
including all the Socket A versions, only support 32-bit OSes. "

Hope this helps.

Chuck

Old September 14th 05, 01:45 PM
Roy Coorne

Chuck schrieb:
wrote:

[...]

You may also wish to consult the summarizing Sempron table at Tom's,
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050801/amd_sempron-03.html

Roy
Old September 14th 05, 07:05 PM

Roy Coorne wrote:

Chuck schrieb:
wrote:

Finding authoritative confirmation that they are indeed full 64-bit
CPUs is more difficult than I thought.

There's no doubt that AMD now makes 64-bit Semprons in S754 and
Tom's Hardware lists them (including the 2500+ whose specs are given
as 90nm, SSE3, etc.), but then goes on to say :
"Sempron 64 users (3400+ only) can install Windows XP x64 edition".
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/2005...empron-02.html

The part that confuses me here is the qualifying "3400+ ONLY"
statement, and the lack of info at AMD.

I posted a similar message at alt.comp.hardware which received 0
replies. As I said, it's driving me nuts. Can anyone clarify ?

You may also wish to consult the summarizing Sempron table at Tom's,
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050801/amd_sempron-03.html

That's the same article I referred to in my first post. I read through
most of the pages, but unless I missed something, it does not make
clear if the lower Semprons are 64-bit. In fact, it seems to indicate
on page 02 that only the 3400+ is 64-bit.

Old September 14th 05, 09:52 PM
Bill

In article .com,
says...

snip

That's the same article I referred to in my first post. I read through
most of the pages, but unless I missed something, it does not make
clear if the lower Semprons are 64-bit. In fact, it seems to indicate
on page 02 that only the 3400+ is 64-bit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...nufactory=1028
&PropertyCodeValue=507%3A17289&PropertyCodeValue=0 &PropertyCodeValue=0
&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyC odeValue=0
&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyC odeValue=0
&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0
&description=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=343& Submit=Property

Product Description Price

AMD SDA2500BXBOX Processors
View Pic

* AMD Sempron 64 2500+ Palermo 800MHz FSB Socket 754 Processor
Model SDA2500BXBOX - Retail
(limit 5 per customer)

64 bit Support: Yes
Cooling Device: Heatsink and Fan
Hyper-Transport Support: Yes
L1 Cache: 64KB+64KB
L2 Cache: 256KB
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, 3DNOW! Professional
Operating Frequency: 1.4GHz
Process Type: 90 nm
Series: Sempron 64
Voltage: 1.4V
* Model #: SDA2500BXBOX
* Item #: N82E16819104251
* In Stock
* Free Three Day Shipping
* Move item to Wish ListMove To Wish List

* $59.00

Add item to Cart

AMD SDA2800BXBOX Processors
View Pic

* AMD Sempron 64 2800+ Palermo 800MHz FSB Socket 754 Processor
Model SDA2800BXBOX - Retail

64 bit Support: Yes
Cooling Device: Heatsink and Fan
Hyper-Transport Support: Yes
L1 Cache: 64KB+64KB
L2 Cache: 256KB
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, 3DNOW! Professional
Operating Frequency: 1.6GHz
Process Type: 90 nm
Series: Sempron 64
Voltage: 1.4V
* Model #: SDA2800BXBOX
* Item #: N82E16819104245
* In Stock
* Free Three Day Shipping
* Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5[13 reviews]
* Move item to Wish ListMove To Wish List

* $76.00

Add item to Cart

AMD SDA3000BXBOX Processors
View Pic

* AMD Sempron 64 3000+ Palermo 800MHz FSB Socket 754 Processor
Model SDA3000BXBOX - Retail
(limit 10 per customer)

64 bit Support: Yes
Cooling Device: Heatsink and Fan
Hyper-Transport Support: Yes
L1 Cache: 64KB+64KB
L2 Cache: 128KB
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, 3DNOW! Professional
Operating Frequency: 1.8GHz
Process Type: 90 nm
Series: Sempron 64
Voltage: 1.4V
* Model #: SDA3000BXBOX
* Item #: N82E16819104241
* In Stock
* Free Three Day Shipping
* Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5[7 reviews]
* Move item to Wish ListMove To Wish List

* $89.00

Add item to Cart

AMD SDA3100BXBOX Processors
View Pic

* AMD Sempron 64 3100+ Palermo 800MHz FSB Socket 754 Processor
Model SDA3100BXBOX - Retail

64 bit Support: Yes
Cooling Device: Heatsink and Fan
Hyper-Transport Support: Yes
L1 Cache: 64KB+64KB
L2 Cache: 256KB
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, 3DNOW! Professional
Operating Frequency: 1.8GHz
Process Type: 90 nm
Series: Sempron 64
Voltage: 1.4V
* Model #: SDA3100BXBOX
* Item #: N82E16819104237
* In Stock
* Free Three Day Shipping
* Move item to Wish ListMove To Wish List

* $107.00

Add item to Cart

AMD SDA3300BXBOX Processors
View Pic

* AMD Sempron 64 3300+ Palermo 800MHz FSB Socket 754 Processor
Model SDA3300BXBOX - Retail

64 bit Support: Yes
Cooling Device: Heatsink and Fan
Hyper-Transport Support: Yes
L1 Cache: 64KB+64KB
L2 Cache: 256KB
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, 3DNOW! Professional
Operating Frequency: 2.0GHz
Process Type: 90 nm
Series: Sempron 64
Voltage: 1.4V
* Model #: SDA3300BXBOX
* Item #: N82E16819104233
* In Stock
* Free Three Day Shipping
* Move item to Wish ListMove To Wish List

* $130.01

Add item to Cart

AMD SDA3400BXBOX Processors
View Pic

* AMD Sempron 64 3400+ Palermo 800MHz FSB Socket 754 Processor
Model SDA3400BXBOX - Retail
(limit 10 per customer)

64 bit Support: Yes
Cooling Device: Heatsink and Fan
Hyper-Transport Support: Yes
L1 Cache: 64KB+64KB
L2 Cache: 256KB
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, 3DNOW! Professional
Operating Frequency: 2.0GHz
Process Type: 90 nm
Series: Sempron 64
Voltage: 1.4V
* Model #: SDA3400BXBOX
* Item #: N82E16819104231
* In Stock
* Free Three Day Shipping
*
* Move item to Wish ListMove To Wish List

That what you're looking for?

Bill