Avoid ECS

Old September 2nd 03, 10:10 PM
Phrederik

Default Avoid ECS

Just a bit of warning for anyone contemplating purchasing anything made by
ECS...

They will not honour their warranties.

My mainboard has failed within the warranty period. ECS refused to issue an
RMA number since I didn't purchase it directly from them. My supplier is out
of business.

At this point my one year warranty from ECS is not valid because the store I
purchased from has closed it's doors.

Trying to get assistance online is fruitless. I'm in Canada, so Taiwan tells
me to deal with the US office. The US office says they don't do Canada.

....also, try looking up warranty information on the ESC website. You won't
find any.

There is a reason ECS boards are so cheap... it's because they're so CHEAP!

Old September 3rd 03, 06:56 AM
kony

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 21:10:13 GMT, "Phrederik"
wrote:

Just a bit of warning for anyone contemplating purchasing anything made by
ECS...

They will not honour their warranties.

My mainboard has failed within the warranty period. ECS refused to issue an
RMA number since I didn't purchase it directly from them. My supplier is out
of business.

At this point my one year warranty from ECS is not valid because the store I
purchased from has closed it's doors.

Trying to get assistance online is fruitless. I'm in Canada, so Taiwan tells
me to deal with the US office. The US office says they don't do Canada.

...also, try looking up warranty information on the ESC website. You won't
find any.

There is a reason ECS boards are so cheap... it's because they're so CHEAP!

Well, it's pretty much inevitable that a board costing so much less
has to have SOME kind of drawbacks, right? It's not that I think you
should be denied the warranty, but maybe they just make it REAL hard
to get warranty service or support, to minimize the expense.

Did you determine why it failed?

Dave
Old September 3rd 03, 05:15 PM
Phrederik

"FuzionMan" wrote in message
.. .
What's wrong with it? I've had my k7s5a for almost 2 years w/o any
problems. Is it the choppy sound? Are some of your expansion being

denied
an IRQ?

Spontaneous reboots and bluescreens. It's a K7VTA3 v3.1.

I've replaced everything except the chassis and it does the same thing. I've
replaced it with an MSI KT6 Delta board and it works fine with all the
hardware I had before.

Old September 3rd 03, 05:17 PM
Firebird81

ECS has one of the worst reputations in the industry.

Old September 3rd 03, 05:18 PM
Phrederik

wrote:

[...]

I don't know WHY it started failing. It's worked fine for almost a year.
It's a K7VTA3 v.31 board.

I was getting spontaneous reboots and bluescreens. I've replaced everything
except the chassis and it does the same thing. I've since replaced the ECS
board with an MSI KT6 Delta board and it works fine with all the hardware I
had before.

I know these are low priced boards, and they do work well for the price -
when the work. If they are going to advertise a 1 year warranty I would
expect to get one. They are not worth the price if they don't honour their
warranty. I shan't be dealing with ECS again.

P.s. It's funny that Asus bought out their notebook manufacturing plant - I
expect the same kind of treatment from Asus as I got from ECS. Their quality
is about the same as well.

Old September 3rd 03, 06:33 PM
kony

On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 16:18:54 GMT, "Phrederik"
wrote:

P.s. It's funny that Asus bought out their notebook manufacturing plant - I
expect the same kind of treatment from Asus as I got from ECS. Their quality
is about the same as well.

I'd have to disagree with that, MSI may be better than ECS but is also
poor compared to Asus. Asus quality is usually near the best in the
industry, only bested by workstation, server, and *some* Intel boards.

Dave

Old September 3rd 03, 06:41 PM
Phrederik

wrote:

P.s. It's funny that Asus bought out their notebook manufacturing plant -

expect the same kind of treatment from Asus as I got from ECS. Their

quality
is about the same as well.

I'd have to disagree with that, MSI may be better than ECS but is also
poor compared to Asus. Asus quality is usually near the best in the
industry, only bested by workstation, server, and *some* Intel boards.

That's what I keep hearing, yet I've RMA'd more ASUS boards than ALL the
other manufacturers I've used put together. Same goes for my friends.
They've ALL had problems with their ASUS boards.

Old September 3rd 03, 07:26 PM
Firebird81

I've had good luck with FIC stability-wise, as well as Gigabyte and MSI. I
never used an Asus board, but always heard they were the best. I know ECS
cna be a mixed bag, tho. The K7s5a had a real problem in early revisions.

Old September 3rd 03, 08:31 PM
Pedro

Just because the retilers bust and the board is broken doesnt mean your
stuck with it, if i'm right (you'll need to check) the equipment is
unfit for its intended use, there for you and are legally entitled to
either a full refund or a replacement.
The upshot is the more you moan, but dont get nastly, be polite, the
more likely you are to get some sort of response along the lines of what
your looking for!
Speak to someone who knows the legalities of it all, i may have just
said something that only a UK think.