The future of PCs

Old July 10th 05, 04:28 AM
Tim

"Bill" wrote in message

The software will always catch up to the hardware. People will insist
that it does.

I agree that software will catch up in some form but no one can predict
which technologies will be embraced. From a historical standpoint I assume
that some CPU innovations never got adopted by most software developers,
correct? In regards to my first post do you think all of the mentioned
advancements will become the future standard? Just asking for your opinion
not a definitive answer.

Old July 10th 05, 04:29 AM
Tim

"Bill" wrote in message

See. You might get more info if you tried comp.*.apps.* or other
software groups that pertain to more to your queries.

Perhaps, but no one is going to know for a fact what lies ahead anyway. As I
said, I'm just soliciting opinions and everyone has one, as far as I know,
including those in a hardware-related group. (I assume everyone in here runs
software).

Old July 10th 05, 07:49 AM
Bill

In article . net,
says...

"Bill" wrote in message

The software will always catch up to the hardware. People will insist
that it does.

I agree that software will catch up in some form but no one can predict
which technologies will be embraced. From a historical standpoint I assume
that some CPU innovations never got adopted by most software developers,
correct?

Wouldn't know, I'm not a software guy.

In regards to my first post do you think all of the mentioned
advancements will become the future standard? Just asking for your opinion
not a definitive answer.

Your original post:

"64 bit architecture, multiple cores, it's all wonderful stuff. But as
everyone probably knows, without a mainstream 64bit OS with solid
drivers, without 64bit apps optimized for multithreading, it's all a
bit premature."

Srikes me that there's already a mainstream 64 bit OS called Unix.
Now if your speaking about mainstream Windows...
Well something's got to come first. Chicken or egg.

"I know that this technology has its advantages now but when will it
be fully utilized?"

Define "fully utilized". Hint: pour choice of words.

"Does anyone care to predict how long until software/OS developers
make the complete transition?"

Define "complete transition". See above. You are aware that there are
programmers still coding for MS/PC-DOS apps?

"Will Longhorn be 64bit by default or will there be a special 64bit
version? (the way XP Pro is just getting now)"

Only Billy G knows for sure.

"All thoughts appreciated."

I still think you would get better answers in a software group or
forum that is more related to what your asking. If you want more
specific answers you need to ask more specific questions.

Such as:

Does anyone care to predict how long until mainstream developers for
Windows apps port those apps to work in native mode on 64 bit/multicore
processors?

Bill
Old July 10th 05, 08:29 AM
Tim

"Bill" wrote in message
In article . net,

Now if your speaking about mainstream Windows...
Well something's got to come first. Chicken or egg.

Fair enough

"I know that this technology has its advantages now but when will it
be fully utilized?"

Define "fully utilized". Hint: pour choice of words.

I agree that software will catch up in some form but no one can predict
which technologies will be embraced. From a historical standpoint I
assume
that some CPU innovations never got adopted by most software developers,
correct?

Wouldn't know, I'm not a software guy.

If you use software you're a "software guy". If you have no interest in the
history of it, or where it's headed, that's another matter.

"64 bit architecture, multiple cores, it's all wonderful stuff. But as
everyone probably knows, without a mainstream 64bit OS with solid
drivers, without 64bit apps optimized for multithreading, it's all a
bit premature."

Srikes me that there's already a mainstream 64 bit OS called Unix.

Define "mainstream" Hint: pour choice of words.

"Will Longhorn be 64bit by default or will there be a special 64bit
version? (the way XP Pro is just getting now)"

Only Billy G knows for sure.

Well, that's some semblance of an answer.

I still think you would get better answers in a software group or
forum that is more related to what your asking. If you want more
specific answers you need to ask more specific questions.

There are no "better" answers, I'm not looking for "answers". Once again,
I'm only seeking opinions, about the future of the technology in general.
It's logical to assume that people who take an interest in the latest CPU
hardware would take an interest in its future implementation.

I still think you would get better answers in a software group or
forum that is more related to what your asking. If you want more
specific answers you need to ask more specific questions.

Such as:

Does anyone care to predict how long until mainstream developers for
Windows apps port those apps to work in native mode on 64 bit/multicore
processors?

Obviously you get the gist of it (since I mentioned Longhorn anyway) but
still fail to answer. Care to guess?

Old July 10th 05, 09:15 AM
Bill

In article . net,
says...

"Bill" wrote in message

snip

Wouldn't know, I'm not a software guy.

If you use software you're a "software guy". If you have no interest in the
history of it, or where it's headed, that's another matter.

Nope, not a software guy. Knowing how to drive a car and read a road
map doesn't make me an auto mechanic.

"64 bit architecture, multiple cores, it's all wonderful stuff. But as
everyone probably knows, without a mainstream 64bit OS with solid
drivers, without 64bit apps optimized for multithreading, it's all a
bit premature."

Srikes me that there's already a mainstream 64 bit OS called Unix.

Define "mainstream" Hint: pour choice of words.

See, you're learning.

[...]

Thought you just said you're not looking for answers, and my opinion
is irrelavant to when future implementation of anything occurs. It will
happen when it happens, or it won't.

Bill