The future of PCs

Old July 4th 05, 01:12 AM
Jerry McBride

Tim wrote:

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2005.07.03.04.53.52.53860@TAKEOUTverizon. net...
On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 02:55:24 +0000, Tim wrote:

Well let me think. I first installed a 64bit OS about 18 months ago.
Since
then there's been 3 new releases of the Linux distro I use. So in the
linux world the time frame has already come some time back.

So I assume then that all of your apps are 64 bit as well? Any optimized
for multi-core processing?

Yes.

--

************************************************** ****************************
Registered Linux User Number 185956
Old July 4th 05, 02:25 AM
Wes Newell

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 18:34:48 -0400, Tim wrote:

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2005.07.03.16.45.15.722233@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 05:37:34 -0400, Tim wrote:

With probably close to 50,000 linux programs you expect someone to list
the ones with multi core CPU support. Start dreaming, you'll get a better
answer.:-) Same for Win.

My question pertained to the programs YOU use, chief. I said "YOUR APPS".
With your reading comprehension I would be dreaming to expect you to
understand the question.

Well, my reading comprehension must be better than yours because I already
told you that I didn't have a multi core cpu or a muti cpu board. That
being the case, why don't you try and guess how many programs I run
multicore.

Old July 4th 05, 02:46 AM
Wes Newell

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 19:53:02 -0400, Tim wrote:

"Jerry McBride" wrote in message

There's more to life than windows. Fact is, 64bit Linux is here and now.

Point taken. What's the availability of commercial 3D games for Linux? How
does it compare to Windows game availability?

With Windows98, I think it came with about 4 or 5 simple games like
freecell, etc. No 3d games that I recall. You had to buy them seperately.
With linux my distro came with these as a minimum. Some are 3d, some
aren't and don't even ask. I'm not much of a game player.

menu "Games" /usr/share/icons/mini/amusement_section.png {
menu "Arcade" /usr/share/icons/mini/arcade_section.png {
prog "AirStrike" /usr/share/icons/mini/airstrike.png /usr/games/airstrike
prog "ArmageTron" /usr/share/icons/mini/armagetron.png /usr/games/armagetron
prog "Chromium" /usr/share/icons/mini/chromium.png /usr/games/chromium
prog "Circus Linux!" /usr/share/icons/mini/circuslinux.png /usr/games/circuslinux
prog "Crack Attack! - Create Server" /usr/share/icons/mini/crack-attack.png /usr/games/crack-attack-create-server
prog "Crack Attack! - Join Server" /usr/share/icons/mini/crack-attack.png /usr/games/crack-attack-join-server
prog "Crack Attack! - Solo" /usr/share/icons/mini/crack-attack.png /usr/games/crack-attack-solo
prog "Digger" /usr/share/icons/mini/digger.png /usr/games/digger /A
prog "Frozen-Bubble" /usr/share/icons/mini/frozen-bubble.png /usr/games/frozen-bubble
prog "GNOME Robots" /usr/share/icons/mini/gnome-gnobots.png /usr/bin/gnobots2
prog "GNOME Stones" /usr/share/icons/mini/gnome-stones.png /usr/bin/gnome-stones
prog "Gnibbles" /usr/share/icons/mini/gnome-nibbles.png /usr/bin/gnibbles
prog "Gnometris" /usr/share/icons/mini/gnome-gtetris.png /usr/bin/gnometris
prog "KAsteroids" /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/16x16/apps/kasteroids.png kasteroids
prog "KBounce" /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/16x16/apps/kbounce.png kbounce
prog "KFoulEggs" /usr/share/icons/mini/arcade_section.png kfouleggs
prog "KGoldrunner" /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/kgoldrunner.png kgoldrunner
prog "KSirtet" /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/16x16/apps/ksirtet.png ksirtet
prog "KSmileTris" /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/16x16/apps/ksmiletris.png ksmiletris
prog "KSnakeRace" /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/16x16/apps/ksnake.png ksnake
prog "KSpaceDuel" /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/16x16/apps/kspaceduel.png kspaceduel
prog "KTron" /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/16x16/apps/ktron.png ktron
prog "Klickety" /usr/share/icons/mini/klickety.png klickety
prog "Kolf" /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/16x16/apps/kolf.png kolf
prog "LBreakout 2" /usr/share/icons/mini/lbreakout2.png /usr/games/lbreakout2
prog "Maelstrom" /usr/share/icons/mini/Maelstrom.png /usr/games/Maelstrom
}
menu "Boards" /usr/share/icons/mini/boards_section.png {
prog "Atlantik" /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/16x16/apps/atlantik.png atlantik
prog "Gataxx" /usr/share/icons/mini/gataxx.png /usr/bin/gataxx
prog "Glines" /usr/share/icons/mini/glines.png /usr/bin/glines
prog "Gnect" /usr/share/icons/mini/gnect-icon.png /usr/bin/gnect
prog "Iagno" /usr/share/icons/mini/iagno.png /usr/bin/iagno
prog "KBackgammon" /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/16x16/apps/kbackgammon.png kbackgammon
prog "KBattleship" /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/16x16/apps/kbattleship.png kbattleship
prog "KBlackBox" /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/16x16/apps/kblackbox.png kblackbox
prog "KMahjongg" /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/16x16/apps/kmahjongg.png kmahjongg
prog "KReversi" /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/16x16/apps/kreversi.png kreversi
prog "KWin4" /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/16x16/apps/kwin4.png kwin4
prog "Kenolaba" /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/16x16/apps/kenolaba.png kenolaba
prog "Shisen-Sho" /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/16x16/apps/kshisen.png kshisen
}
menu "Cards" /usr/share/icons/mini/cards_section.png {
prog "AisleRiot" /usr/share/icons/mini/gnome-aisleriot.png /usr/bin/sol
prog "Blackjack" /usr/share/icons/mini/gnome-blackjack.png /usr/bin/blackjack
prog "KPoker" /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/16x16/apps/kpoker.png kpoker
prog "Lieutnant Skat" /usr/share/icons/locolor/16x16/apps/lskat.png lskat
prog "Patience" /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/16x16/apps/kpat.png kpat
prog "Potato Guy" - ktuberling
prog "PySOL" /usr/share/icons/mini/cards_section.png /usr/games/pysol
}
menu "Other" /usr/share/icons/mini/other_amusement.png {
prog "GTali" /usr/share/icons/mini/gnome-gtali.png /usr/bin/gtali
prog "Same GNOME" /usr/share/icons/mini/gnome-gsame.png /usr/bin/same-gnome
}
menu "Puzzles" /usr/share/icons/mini/puzzle_section.png {
prog "GNOME Mahjongg" /usr/share/icons/mini/gnome-mahjongg.png /usr/bin/mahjongg
prog "GNOME Mines" /usr/share/icons/mini/gnome-gnomine.png /usr/bin/gnomine
prog "GNOME Tetravex" /usr/share/icons/mini/gnome-gnotravex.png /usr/bin/gnotravex
prog "Gnotski" /usr/share/icons/mini/gnotski-icon.png /usr/bin/gnotski
}
menu "Sports" /usr/share/icons/mini/sport_section.png {
prog "Cannon Smash" /usr/share/icons/mini/csmash.png /usr/bin/csmash
prog "Tuxracer" /usr/share/icons/mini/tuxracer.png soundwrapper /usr/games/tuxracer
}
menu "Strategy" /usr/share/icons/mini/strategy_section.png {
prog "KAtomic" - katomic
prog "KJumpingCube" /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/16x16/apps/kjumpingcube.png kjumpingcube
prog "KMines" /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/16x16/apps/kmines.png kmines
prog "KSokoban" /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/16x16/apps/ksokoban.png ksokoban
prog "Kolor Lines" /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/16x16/apps/klines.png klines
prog "Konquest" /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/16x16/apps/konquest.png konquest
prog "SameGame" /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/16x16/apps/ksame.png ksame
}

And many others are available. You can even run some windows games in
Linux and they actually run faster. But that's for someone that does it to
tell you about. Something about having a windows and game version already
installed.

Now, is there some other way you want to try and put Linux down as that
seems to be your objective rather than actually get reasonable answers.

Old July 4th 05, 03:40 AM
Tim

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2005.07.04.01.27.46.720917@TAKEOUTverizon .net...

My question pertained to the programs YOU use, chief. I said "YOUR
APPS".
With your reading comprehension I would be dreaming to expect you to
understand the question.

Well, my reading comprehension must be better than yours because I already
told you that I didn't have a multi core cpu or a muti cpu board.

Let's review yet again -. you confused "your apps" to mean every Linux app
in the world. So I'm addressing your "you've got to be kidding" comment.
Please try to follow a thread. Since I didn't know at the time I asked, if
you did, or did not have multicore, your response is not only clueless but
ignorant too.

BTW, what's with the hostility? Is Linux a religion to you? If you're some
sort of Linux high priest please bear in mind that I only consider it an
operating system. I don't worship any of them, and I never criticized any of
them, so your attitude is puzzling to say the least.

If I accidentally crossposted to "alt.fanatic.linux," I apologize I thought
it was "alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64" Are they one and the same?

That being the case, why don't you try and guess how many programs I run
multicore.

That being the case why don't you just say "I don't know" next time and save
us both a lot of time.

Old July 4th 05, 03:44 AM
Tim

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2005.07.04.01.48.55.931969@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 19:53:02 -0400, Tim wrote:

"Jerry McBride" wrote in message

And many others are available. You can even run some windows games in
Linux and they actually run faster. But that's for someone that does it to
tell you about. Something about having a windows and game version already
installed.

Thanks

Now, is there some other way you want to try and put Linux down as that
seems to be your objective rather than actually get reasonable answers.

Please try to point out, ONCE where I put Linux down. I came here to ask
questions, I have no agenda and I'm not implying anything. Unlike yourself,
when I don't know about something I ask about it, not preemptively criticize
it. My questions are to be taken as face value. But while we're on the
subject, we're talking about OSs here, not family, religion, or politics.
Who cares if someone bashes them? I'm not offended by your XP comments, I
only suggest that you try something before criticizing it.

It's been said that the only thing Microsoft could build, that doesn't suck,
is a vacuum cleaner - and I find that joke hilarious. See? I just bashed
Microsoft. So relax, step away from the keyboard and get outside once in a
while.

Old July 4th 05, 04:40 AM
Ed Light

Tim -- maybe just let them dry up.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old July 4th 05, 06:18 AM
joe doe

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 21:31:55 -0400, "Tim"
wrote:

64 bit architecture, multiple cores, it's all wonderful stuff. But as
everyone probably knows, without a mainstream 64bit OS with solid drivers,
without 64bit apps optimized for multithreading, it's all a bit premature. I
know that this technology has its advantages now but when will it be fully
utilized? Does anyone care to predict how long until software/OS developers
make the complete transition? Will Longhorn be 64bit by default or will
there be a special 64bit version? (the way XP Pro is just getting now) All
thoughts appreciated.

LOL. Microsoft has to put in all the hooks for Intel's new Big
Brother technology dual core processors. When they're done with that,
they'll let you know.

http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4915

You think this stuff is easy ?

Old July 4th 05, 08:11 AM
Dave

No, you asked some really dumb questions. If Wes does not have more than
one core on hi com system, why would he be concerned with aps being
multi-threaded?

Here is a suggestion, think of some types of software you like to run, go to
a linux group/usenet area and questions there.

As a very rough rule, server stuff may be mutlti-threaded as may heavy duty
graphics rendering progs.

Until you know what you want to do with your system, it is really pointless
you asking what app is multi core enabled as you will get a whole lot of
useless information.

Dave

"Tim" wrote in message

"Ed Light" wrote in message

Boy, ask a question, take a bunch of delayed stress.

You'd think I attacked a religion

Old July 4th 05, 08:44 AM
Dave

Ed,

Leave in a bit of the post that you are replying to so your replies make
sense.

Your last reply was very cryptic.

Cryptic - How about this? :-) (NOT a personal attack on you, just
something silly)

Head man who is not the mistress who puts food in traps. (1 word)

alternate question

Person (can be a member of a team) who argues in front of a crowd. (1 word)

I think it should be solvable in less than 10 mins.

Dave