The future of PCs

Old July 3rd 05, 10:37 AM
Tim

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2005.07.03.09.14.16.67317@TAKEOUTverizon. net...

As for each apps support, you've got to be kidding.

No, I really wasn't.

Old July 3rd 05, 03:09 PM
Yousuf Khan

Tim wrote:
64 bit architecture, multiple cores, it's all wonderful stuff. But as
everyone probably knows, without a mainstream 64bit OS with solid drivers,
without 64bit apps optimized for multithreading, it's all a bit premature. I
know that this technology has its advantages now but when will it be fully
utilized? Does anyone care to predict how long until software/OS developers
make the complete transition? Will Longhorn be 64bit by default or will
there be a special 64bit version? (the way XP Pro is just getting now) All
thoughts appreciated.

I don't see what this obsession with making use of the "full 64-bits" is
all about. Do people complain they are not utilizing the full features
of a 100-storey building, if they are done below the 100th storey?

When the 32-bit x86 era started, a lot of its biggest advantages had
nothing to do with 32-bit software, they were features to improve the
life of older 16-bit apps. For example they introduced the Virtual-8086
mode, which basically allowed you to multitask 16-bit DOS apps using a
32-bit hypervisor layer sitting over top of it. Similarly that's the
most likely initial usage scenario that we'll see with 64-bit OSes -- as
a better 32-bit platform. For example, 32-bit programs which are limited
to 2GB to 3GB of memory right now (due to the memory footprint of the
configured OS), will now see the full 4GB to themselves. And multiple
32-bit programs will see a full 4GB to themselves.

Yousuf Khan
Old July 3rd 05, 05:43 PM
Wes Newell

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 05:37:34 -0400, Tim wrote:

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2005.07.03.09.14.16.67317@TAKEOUTverizon. net...

As for each apps support, you've got to be kidding.

No, I really wasn't.

With probably close to 50,000 linux programs you expect someone to list
the ones with multi core CPU support. Start dreaming, you'll get a better
answer.:-) Same for Win.

Old July 3rd 05, 07:35 PM

so what Linux 64 bit programs do you use and why?

Old July 3rd 05, 11:34 PM
Tim

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2005.07.03.16.45.15.722233@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 05:37:34 -0400, Tim wrote:

With probably close to 50,000 linux programs you expect someone to list
the ones with multi core CPU support. Start dreaming, you'll get a better
answer.:-) Same for Win.

My question pertained to the programs YOU use, chief. I said "YOUR APPS".
With your reading comprehension I would be dreaming to expect you to
understand the question.

Old July 3rd 05, 11:43 PM
Tim

"Yousuf Khan" wrote in message

I don't see what this obsession with making use of the "full 64-bits" is
all about. Do people complain they are not utilizing the full features of
a 100-storey building, if they are done below the 100th storey?

Obsession? It's a simple question about transition time.

When the 32-bit x86 era started, a lot of its biggest advantages had
nothing to do with 32-bit software, they were features to improve the life
of older 16-bit apps. For example they introduced the Virtual-8086 mode,
which basically allowed you to multitask 16-bit DOS apps using a 32-bit
hypervisor layer sitting over top of it. Similarly that's the most likely
initial usage scenario that we'll see with 64-bit OSes -- as a better
32-bit platform. For example, 32-bit programs which are limited to 2GB to
3GB of memory right now (due to the memory footprint of the configured
OS), will now see the full 4GB to themselves. And multiple 32-bit programs
will see a full 4GB to themselves.

Again, I don't need convincing. I already acknowledged that this new
technology has advantages now.

Old July 4th 05, 12:14 AM
Ed Light

Boy, ask a question, take a bunch of delayed stress.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old July 4th 05, 12:47 AM
Tim

"Ed Light" wrote in message

Boy, ask a question, take a bunch of delayed stress.

You'd think I attacked a religion

Old July 4th 05, 12:53 AM
Tim

"Jerry McBride" wrote in message
Tim wrote:

There's more to life than windows. Fact is, 64bit Linux is here and now.

Point taken. What's the availability of commercial 3D games for Linux? How
does it compare to Windows game availability?

Old July 4th 05, 01:11 AM
Jerry McBride

Tim wrote:

64 bit architecture, multiple cores, it's all wonderful stuff. But as
everyone probably knows, without a mainstream 64bit OS with solid drivers,
without 64bit apps optimized for multithreading, it's all a bit premature.

There's more to life than windows. Fact is, 64bit linux is here and now.

I know that this technology has its advantages now but when will it be
fully utilized?

Right now, just go grab a copy of 64bit linux. I prefer Gentoo, but then I
really like going deep into linux.

Does anyone care to predict how long until software/OS
developers make the complete transition?

Which developers? Windows ones? Never...

Will Longhorn be 64bit by default or will there be a special 64bit
version? (the way XP Pro is just getting now)

Longhorn? It's still in limbo. Microsoft has ripped out so much of the main
features to keep it "on schedule", that it won't be anything real different
than what's being used now.

All thoughts appreciated.

You got them...

--