Phenom 8750 and cooling requirements

Old March 31st 09, 07:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
kenk

Default Phenom 8750 and cooling requirements

I am going to be building my first AMD-based computer. I have settled
on the 8750--it will be used mainly in a business environment without
gaming, so it will not be very "stressed".

What kind of cooling apparatus is needed for this cpu? Is there a
cooler provided by AMD? Is it sufficient? Quiet? Reliable? If not, and
if I choose a 1 lb of copper-finned monster, will I need any additional
bolt-on parts to support a large cooler to the mb?

Thanks
Ken K
Old March 31st 09, 11:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Miles Bader[_2_]

kenk writes:
I am going to be building my first AMD-based computer. I have settled
on the 8750--it will be used mainly in a business environment without
gaming, so it will not be very "stressed".

What kind of cooling apparatus is needed for this cpu? Is there a
cooler provided by AMD? Is it sufficient? Quiet? Reliable? If not, and
if I choose a 1 lb of copper-finned monster, will I need any additional
bolt-on parts to support a large cooler to the mb?

AMD provides quite decent stock coolers with the phenom line.

If you're not doing overclocking or whatever, I don't know why you'd
need anything else.

[Or even if you _are_ doing overclocking maybe:
http://hothardware.com/Articles/AMD-...cessor/?page=2
]

-Miles

--
History, n. An account mostly false, of events mostly unimportant, which are
brought about by rulers mostly knaves, and soldiers mostly fools.
Old April 1st 09, 08:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
pokey man

"kenk" wrote in message
I am going to be building my first AMD-based computer. I have settled
on the 8750--it will be used mainly in a business environment without
gaming, so it will not be very "stressed".

What kind of cooling apparatus is needed for this cpu? Is there a
cooler provided by AMD? Is it sufficient? Quiet? Reliable? If not, and
if I choose a 1 lb of copper-finned monster, will I need any additional
bolt-on parts to support a large cooler to the mb?

Thanks
Ken K

as miles said the stock is good enough, but in order to get the cooler you
have to buy a boxed cpu tray cpus atre just the cpu and i believe the part
number will say boxed like
HD8750WCGHBOX where a tray might say HD8750WCJ3BGH. and you get just cpu

HTH

Pokeyman

Old April 1st 09, 06:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
kenk

pokey man wrote:
"kenk" wrote in message
I am going to be building my first AMD-based computer. I have settled
on the 8750--it will be used mainly in a business environment without
gaming, so it will not be very "stressed".

What kind of cooling apparatus is needed for this cpu? Is there a
cooler provided by AMD? Is it sufficient? Quiet? Reliable? If not, and
if I choose a 1 lb of copper-finned monster, will I need any additional
bolt-on parts to support a large cooler to the mb?

Thanks
Ken K

as miles said the stock is good enough, but in order to get the cooler you
have to buy a boxed cpu tray cpus atre just the cpu and i believe the part
number will say boxed like
HD8750WCGHBOX where a tray might say HD8750WCJ3BGH. and you get just cpu

HTH

Pokeyman

Thanks. I will stay with the stock cooler. I don't want to spend money
if it is not needed. Many thanks, Ken
Old April 2nd 09, 06:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Darren Garrison

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 11:39:24 -0700, kenk wrote:

I am going to be building my first AMD-based computer. I have settled
on the 8750

Do yourself a favor-- pay the 6 bucks more and get this:

Old April 2nd 09, 03:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
pokey man

"Darren Garrison" wrote in message
On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 11:39:24 -0700, kenk wrote:

I am going to be building my first AMD-based computer. I have settled
on the 8750

Do yourself a favor-- pay the 6 bucks more and get this:

Nice if you got a socket 3 mobo, but not necessary in a socket 2 mobo...it
will work, but it is a waste unless he plans on a socket 3 mobo in the near
future the six bucks could be the shipping charge or part of it.

Pokeyman

Old April 2nd 09, 05:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Darren Garrison

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 10:43:26 -0400, "pokey man"
wrote:

"Darren Garrison" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 11:39:24 -0700, kenk wrote:

I am going to be building my first AMD-based computer. I have settled
on the 8750

Do yourself a favor-- pay the 6 bucks more and get this:

Nice if you got a socket 3 mobo, but not necessary in a socket 2 mobo...it
will work, but it is a waste unless he plans on a socket 3 mobo in the near
future the six bucks could be the shipping charge or part of it.

Since he is building his first AMD system, I would assume that he doesn't have a
motherboard yet. It would be dumb to buy an AM2 only motherboard. The 710
works in AM2+ motherboards, not just AM2 ones. The 710 runs at a mildly faster
clock rate than the 8750, and has 6 MB of L3 as opposed to 2 MB. Going with the
710 is a no-brainer.