Phenom 64-bit virtualization capabilities

Old February 18th 09, 08:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Jan Wielemaker

Default Phenom 64-bit virtualization capabilities

Hi,

I'm trying to run WindowsXP-64 under 64-bit Linux on a machine with
this processor (according to /proc/cpuinfo):

AMD Phenom(tm) 9600B Quad-Core Processor

Sofar, vmware 5.5.9 and VirtualBox 2.1.4 both refuse, claiming they
cannot virtualize 64-bit on this processor. XEN refuses because it
says it can only do para-virtualization on this platform.

Most things I can find says that the Phenoms support AMD-V, so this
should be possible. Is there anyone here with a definite answer? I.e.
can the processor do it, but the software doesn't (yet) detect this
properly or is the software right and is it simply impossible to run
64-bit native guest OSes on this processor?

Thanks --- Jan
Old March 2nd 09, 11:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Richard P[_4_]

Jan Wielemaker wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to run WindowsXP-64 under 64-bit Linux on a machine with
this processor (according to /proc/cpuinfo):

AMD Phenom(tm) 9600B Quad-Core Processor

Sofar, vmware 5.5.9 and VirtualBox 2.1.4 both refuse, claiming they
cannot virtualize 64-bit on this processor. XEN refuses because it
says it can only do para-virtualization on this platform.

Most things I can find says that the Phenoms support AMD-V, so this
should be possible. Is there anyone here with a definite answer? I.e.
can the processor do it, but the software doesn't (yet) detect this
properly or is the software right and is it simply impossible to run
64-bit native guest OSes on this processor?

Thanks --- Jan

In vmware on windows I have no problems running 64bit guest os's. I
havent tried it in linux yet tho
Old March 3rd 09, 08:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Jan Wielemaker

On 2009-03-02, Richard P wrote:
Jan Wielemaker wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to run WindowsXP-64 under 64-bit Linux on a machine with
this processor (according to /proc/cpuinfo):

AMD Phenom(tm) 9600B Quad-Core Processor

Sofar, vmware 5.5.9 and VirtualBox 2.1.4 both refuse, claiming they
cannot virtualize 64-bit on this processor. XEN refuses because it
says it can only do para-virtualization on this platform.

Most things I can find says that the Phenoms support AMD-V, so this
should be possible. Is there anyone here with a definite answer? I.e.
can the processor do it, but the software doesn't (yet) detect this
properly or is the software right and is it simply impossible to run
64-bit native guest OSes on this processor?

Thanks --- Jan

In vmware on windows I have no problems running 64bit guest os's. I
havent tried it in linux yet tho

Yip. It is not the processor, neither the OS. VMware WS 6.x and server
2.0 can run 64-bit guests under Linux. My assumption is that the
detection is outdated in VMware WS 5.5 and appearently also in VirtualBox
2.1.4

Cheers --- Jan