Overheating Issue

Old February 23rd 09, 08:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
DaveN

Default Overheating Issue

I have a box I built for handling long 3D renders and I am having major
overheating issues.

The box is identical to my primary machine in every aspect because I
need my renders to look exactly like they do when I create the proofs on
my computer.

Fans, CPU, motherboard, video card, memory, etc.. all exactly the same.
Even the same case.

When Speedfan says the CPU temp is 75c, I can touch the heatsink without
burning my finger... In fact, it doesn't feel hot at all.

I've come to the conclusion that the CPU heat sensor must be defective
on this system. But I don't know if the sensor is on the motherboard or
on the CPU.

I have a Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H rev 1.0 motherboard with the latest BIOS
update (F8) and a Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane CPU.

I don't have any spares to swap out and test, unfortunately.

Any ideas?
Old February 23rd 09, 09:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Wes Newell[_2_]

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 14:27:22 -0600, DaveN wrote:

When Speedfan says the CPU temp is 75c, I can touch the heatsink without
burning my finger... In fact, it doesn't feel hot at all.

I've come to the conclusion that the CPU heat sensor must be defective
on this system. But I don't know if the sensor is on the motherboard or
on the CPU.

I have a Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H rev 1.0 motherboard with the latest BIOS
update (F8) and a Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane CPU.

I don't have any spares to swap out and test, unfortunately.

Any ideas?

1) Speed fan not configured properly giving wrong temps.

2) Contact bad between cooler and cpu.

3) Inadequate case cooling. It's all relative.

Old February 24th 09, 04:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
pokey man

"DaveN" wrote in message
. ..
In article , lid
says...
On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 14:27:22 -0600, DaveN wrote:

When Speedfan says the CPU temp is 75c, I can touch the heatsink

without
burning my finger... In fact, it doesn't feel hot at all.

I've come to the conclusion that the CPU heat sensor must be defective
on this system. But I don't know if the sensor is on the motherboard

or
on the CPU.

I have a Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H rev 1.0 motherboard with the latest

BIOS
update (F8) and a Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane CPU.

I don't have any spares to swap out and test, unfortunately.

Any ideas?

1) Speed fan not configured properly giving wrong temps.

EasyTune5Pro reports the same temps as Speedfan.

2) Contact bad between cooler and cpu.

A friend suggest this and I removed the heatsink, cleaned up the arctic
silver and re-did it with no improvement.

3) Inadequate case cooling. It's all relative.

I'm using the same fans and configuration as my main machine. Speedfan
reports the same RPM range as my main computer for all 3 case fans. The
two computers sit next to each other and the case temp is the same for
both.

Is it not possible that a CPU heat sensor could be bad? If it is
possible, do you know if the sensor is on the MB or the CPU?

I believe it is on chip nowadays

Pokeyman

Old February 24th 09, 05:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Robert McMillan

Um, why don't you just swap the CPU's between the two boxes and see if the
problem follows the CPU or stays on the current machine?

. ..

Old February 24th 09, 08:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Wes Newell[_2_]

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 15:20:49 -0600, DaveN wrote:

Is it not possible that a CPU heat sensor could be bad? If it is
possible, do you know if the sensor is on the MB or the CPU?

Yes, it's possible. What temps do the bios report? If the cooler is not
hot to the touch, and you're sure the cooler is making good contact, then
I wouldn't worry too much about it. But, I'd double check the cooler
mounting. It's not hard to have it cocked where it's not really making
good contact.

Old February 24th 09, 10:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Rodney Pont[_3_]

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 08:49:07 +0000 (UTC), Wes Newell wrote:

Is it not possible that a CPU heat sensor could be bad? If it is
possible, do you know if the sensor is on the MB or the CPU?

Yes, it's possible. What temps do the bios report? If the cooler is not
hot to the touch, and you're sure the cooler is making good contact, then
I wouldn't worry too much about it. But, I'd double check the cooler
mounting. It's not hard to have it cocked where it's not really making
good contact.

I'd also compare the two coolers to the touch. If the one showing the
higher cpu temp feels cooler than the other one it's almost certainly a
poor contact between the cooler and the cpu but if they both feel about
the same then it's likely to be the sensor in the cpu.

Have you tried Everest Ultimate at
http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en, it shows a temperature for
each core and the overall temperature of the cpu on my AMD 64 X2 4000+.
It is available as a 30 day trial.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont