Energy Star problems

Old May 8th 08, 09:10 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Baz[_2_]

Default Energy Star problems

I have an 8600GTS connected to a Samsung SM223BW via DVI and am having
problems whereby Energy Star power saving seems not to activate
reliably.

If I set a screen saver to activate then the screen will quite often
work but the monitor will occassionally not go in Energy saving mode.

I have noticed that playing music in SonicStage will always stop
EnergyStar from activiting but I have noticed this problem whilst only
having Outlook Express sat on the task bar.

Ideas anyone?
Old May 8th 08, 09:13 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Baz[_2_]

On May 8, 9:10*am, Baz wrote:
I have an 8600GTS connected to a Samsung SM223BW via DVI and am having
problems whereby Energy Star power saving seems not to activate
reliably.

If I set a screen saver to activate then the screen will quite often
work but the monitor will occassionally not go in Energy saving mode.

I have noticed that playing music in SonicStage will always stop
EnergyStar from activiting but I have noticed this problem whilst only
having Outlook Express sat on the task bar.

Ideas anyone?

I should also add that this is on a Windows XP Pro machine
Old May 8th 08, 05:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Baz wrote:
On May 8, 9:10 am, Baz wrote:
I have an 8600GTS connected to a Samsung SM223BW via DVI and am having
problems whereby Energy Star power saving seems not to activate
reliably.

If I set a screen saver to activate then the screen will quite often
work but the monitor will occassionally not go in Energy saving mode.

I have noticed that playing music in SonicStage will always stop
EnergyStar from activiting but I have noticed this problem whilst only
having Outlook Express sat on the task bar.

Ideas anyone?

I should also add that this is on a Windows XP Pro machine

Set your screen saver to "blank" with a delay of 1 minute. Apply.

Wait 60 seconds.

Does the screen shut off?

"Energy Star" achieved.

Old May 9th 08, 09:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Baz[_2_]

That doesn't achieve the same thing as the backlight of the monitor is
still powered up. When it is in energy saving the power light flashes
and the backlight is off.

Old May 9th 08, 04:22 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Baz wrote:
That doesn't achieve the same thing as the backlight of the monitor is
still powered up. When it is in energy saving the power light flashes
and the backlight is off.

Your PC determines the sleep mode, not your monitor. Blinking blue
lights on Samsung monitors is stand-by. No different from off other than
the blinky light. It takes the exact amount of time to get an image from
off or stand-by.

Put your PC in sleep/hibernate. Then you will enjoy the blinky blue light.
Old May 9th 08, 05:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Baz[_2_]

On May 9, 4:22*pm, "Mr.E Solved!" wrote:
Baz wrote:
That doesn't achieve the same thing as the backlight of the monitor is
still powered up. When it is in energy saving the power light flashes
and the backlight is off.

Your PC determines the sleep mode, not your monitor. Blinking blue
lights on Samsung monitors is stand-by. No different from off other than
the blinky light. It takes the exact amount of time to get an image from
off or stand-by.

Put your PC in sleep/hibernate. Then you will enjoy the blinky blue light.

You still seem to misunderstand what I a trying to achieve.

On the windows display settings you have the option to turn off the
monitor after a set period of time. If I set this to 3 minutes and do
not touch the keyboard for 3 minutes then the monitor goes into
standby (blinky light mode), PC is still running. Moving the mouse
will power up the monitor immediately.

The problem I am having is that I have had many occurences where I
leave the keyboard untouched for many hours and the monitor has not
shutdown. This is annoying as I come back to find my lovely backdrop
burning its way into my LCD screen (and wasting precious electricity).

Yes I can set the screen saver to blank but this does not shut down
the monitor.

I never experienced these problems with my old PC and suspect that it
is either a windows settings or driver issue.

Baz
Old May 9th 08, 05:15 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Baz wrote:
[...]

The problem isn't your monitor settings, but your PC settings. The OS,
working in conjunction with your motherboard resources (including BIOS)
determines the working state of your devices.

That your PC exhibits intermittent failure to enter stand-by mode is
only slightly influenced by your monitor choice, drivers or settings.

Much more likely is that a device driver, or application/applet is
resetting the "should I go to sleep yet?" timer under circumstances
which remain unknown to you.

You need to prune devices and services and thoroughly inspect settings
in both firmware and software (application and OS) to fix the issue.

If you feel up to it, there is a complicated but 100% effective
workaround until you can spend the man-hours in probing the underlying
fault: press the display off button when you are not in front of your
PC. LCD start up time is minimal to the point of insignificance and off
is the most economical stand-by state, or so I've heard on the internet.
Old May 9th 08, 05:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Folk

Baz wrote:
[...]

As E Solved said, it's a PC issue. I have the same problem with the
software that accompanied my Logitech webcam. If I launch the webcam
software, then my monitor will never go to sleep until the next
reboot. Your problem is finding out what causes it. Mine was fairly
easy because it worked fine for months and only started failing to
power down after installing the webcam software. Good luck on your
search.