How many watts

Old April 13th 07, 12:18 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

Default How many watts

Err, nope. Those watts are used to spin the fan blades. (Duh! Electric
motor.) A tiny amount is lost as heat in the form of bearing friction.

On 2007-04-12, First of One wrote:

Well, if you are going to count that, then include the few watts used to
drive the cooling fan. :-)

Those watts turn into heat as well.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! What a
at COINCIDENCE! I'm an

Old April 13th 07, 02:45 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon

Default OP : How many watts

'Mr. Porter' wrote:
| Thank you all for the answers and the link especially.
|
| I water cool my video cards, soon, when the price drops I'll be water
| cooling a couple of 8800GTX's
|
| knowing 145, gives me a number I can get my system to dissipate. x2 + 65
| for 345 watts
_____

Glad we could help.

I have a web page that hasn't been updated since before the Pentium 4, but
it does include numbers useful for calculating cooling system capacity (I'm
not even sure it CAN be updated - my ISP seems to no longer support this
feature.)

See http://home.mindspring.com/~pweldon/ .

Phil Weldon

Old April 13th 07, 05:31 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Grant Edwards

On 2007-04-12, First of One wrote:

Err, nope. Those watts are used to spin the fan blades.

And that all of that kinetic energy ends up as heat.

(Duh! Electric motor.) A tiny amount is lost as heat in the
form of bearing friction.

Everything that's not stored as potential energy ends up as
heat. That's simple thermodynamics. There's resistive loss in
the motor, heat loss in the bearings, and shoving the air
around heats it up.

100.00% of the energy consumed by a fan turns into heat.

You're not allowed to destroy energy. You can convert it into
mass, but that takes something like a particle collider -- not
a fan on a video card.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Yow! Are we in the
at perfect mood?
Old April 14th 07, 02:32 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

Remember the fan isn't just there to stir up the air, it actually propels
the air through a heat sink and out the back of the PC. The heat sink causes
a pressure drop due to aerodynamic drag. Volumetric flow rate x pressure
drop = power.

Sure, the air eventually slows down, but then the heat is generated outside
of the PC. The few milliwatts transfered to the monitor via the video cable
eventually turn into heat as well. Hence the need to define your control
volume. :-)

Old April 14th 07, 03:22 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Grant Edwards

On 2007-04-14, First of One wrote:

Remember the fan isn't just there to stir up the air, it
actually propels the air through a heat sink and out the back
of the PC.

For some cards that's true. For others, it just stirs up the
air.

The heat sink causes a pressure drop due to aerodynamic drag.
Volumetric flow rate x pressure drop = power.

Sure, the air eventually slows down, but then the heat is
generated outside of the PC.

It wold be interesting to know how much of he power dissipated
by the fan actually ends up as kinetic energy in the air.
Unfortunately my fluid dynamics skills are pretty weak.

Old April 18th 07, 04:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
GMAN[_2_]

In article lBpTh.5985$SK3.5628@trnddc03, "Mr. Porter" wrote:
Thank you all for the answers and the link especially.

I water cool my video cards, soon, when the price drops I'll be water
cooling a couple of 8800GTX's

knowing 145, gives me a number I can get my system to dissipate. x2 + 65
for 345 watts

There is a power supply calculator here

http://www.journeysystems.com/?powercalc

Old April 18th 07, 07:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

GMAN wrote:
There is a power supply calculator here

http://www.journeysystems.com/?powercalc

That calculator does not incorporate GeForce 7 series cards, among other
omissions.

Try this power calculator, use the free lite version, the pro version
has a fee(!).

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

WOW!! 700 Watts PSU No_ONE_Here Overclocking 15 December 31st 04 11:14 AM
WOW!! 700 Watts PSU No_ONE_Here Overclocking AMD Processors 10 December 27th 04 08:52 PM
PSU watts reading Frank General 27 May 15th 04 06:40 AM
PSU watts reading Frank General Hardware 8 May 11th 04 12:34 AM
What about watts with SATA? J.Clarke Storage (alternative) 4 December 4th 03 02:05 AM