1987 - for sale, latest greatest Computer

Old November 17th 05, 09:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Default 1987 - for sale, latest greatest Computer

Intel 80286 DX CPU
20MB Seagate HD
3.5" floppy drive
2MB SIMM RAM
Windows 2.0
I/O 2 serial, 1 parallel port
VESA Bus

Sale price advertised in Computer Shopper $ ????

Remember how much fun we had?

Old November 25th 05, 06:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

"RDN" wrote in message
Intel 80286 DX CPU
20MB Seagate HD
3.5" floppy drive
2MB SIMM RAM
Windows 2.0
I/O 2 serial, 1 parallel port
VESA Bus

Sale price advertised in Computer Shopper $ ????

Remember how much fun we had?

I did not think there was a 286 DX? And VLB came in on 468 mobos?

I have a (UK) Computer Shopper laying about somewhere from 1992 or 1993 -
The largest HDD you could get was a 80 meg (yes MEG) one for £300. When I
bought my 486 DX40 (AMD made one, Intel did not) around that time for £130,
the latest thing was the 486 DX-100 coming in at over £700!

Yikes!

Bob

Old November 26th 05, 12:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

I remember an ad for a 286 computer system which said it was for "Power
Users"
Bahahaha. How ridiculous is that now.

My first computer was an Franklin Ace 1200, which was an Apple II+
compatible. I loved it at first, but after the beginning I was sorely
aware of its limitations and always wishing for more capabilities. Coin
op arcade machines had much better games, and the big supercomputers
had 3D graphics that blew away the Apple II's and IBM PC's. Yes I had
some fun, but it was limited fun. To a large extent computers sucked
back then. I have much more fun with my latest computer system with an
AMD cpu. Now I'm more pleased with what the computer can do and not
wishing as much for more capabilities.

Old November 27th 05, 10:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

"RDN" wrote in message
Intel 80286 DX CPU
20MB Seagate HD
3.5" floppy drive
2MB SIMM RAM
Windows 2.0
I/O 2 serial, 1 parallel port
VESA Bus

Sale price advertised in Computer Shopper $ ????

Remember how much fun we had?

The first one I worked on was an 8088 IMB dual floppy in 1982....I think.
The first one I bought was a Compaq 286 suitcase computer running at a
whopping 6mhz in 1985. It cost me $7,200 and weight about 40+ lbs. You
could call it the first laptop. It even had a 10mb HD.

I still remember going into Egghead Software in Portland (now Newegg) to buy
software, and they had me set it up just to see it boot up. I'll never
forget, one of the salesman said "what do you need all that power for?".
Good times.......

Old January 4th 06, 03:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

HI, got you all beat probably, 1978 Heathkit H8 with Z80 cpu upgrade, . 2M
disk drives, 3 hard sector 5 1/4 floppies, $10000. Also Heathkit H89 with
Magnolia 2M floppies, 64M memory, $25000. I kicked myself I gave away my
1972 Altair computer for free....

doug
www.lynncomp.com

Old January 15th 06, 01:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Thats a Cadillac!
My first computer in 1980 or so was an Atari 800 with 16k ram!(later
expanded to 64k!) It had a tape drive and also loaded programs like basic
from cartridges. I had a rinky dink 1200 baud modem. I dont remember exactly
but am pretty sure we paid around 800 bucks for it. Later I got an actual
floppy drive! Highest resolution was something like 640x480 B&W or 320x240
256 color. Ther was a funky 160x480 16 shade 1 color mode with rectangular
pixels.
Great fun though. Star Raiders! The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy game
which would lock itself up and call you a dummy if you didnt finish it fast
enough! BBSes!
"Larry Hodges" wrote in message
. ..