CPU for HTPC

Old September 25th 05, 04:44 PM
Wes Newell

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 13:28:16 +0200, Anders Bang wrote:

However, since my original post I have been advised that the AMD Venice
core actually uses only about the same amount of watts as the Turion 25W
(http://www.lostcircuits.com/cpu/amd_venice/). Now, does the Turion have
some extra power saving features or should I just go with the Venice-core
(which would probably also be offering a better upgrade path for the
future)?

The Turion doesn't have a heat spreader. The reason for this is that it
(or any cpu) can cooled more efficiently without one. This may present a
problem with some standard coolers. Personally, for what you are building,
I wouldn't worry about an upgrade path as it should not need upgrading for
the work it will be doing. But if you are concerned with that, go for a
socket 939 MB and the slowest 939 newest core you can find. With the
proper HS and fan, you can cool it with so little noise you won't be able
to hear it outside the case.

Old September 25th 05, 04:48 PM
Yousuf Khan

Anders Bang wrote:
Hi,

Would an AMD Turion 64 be a good CPU solution for a HTPC, which obviously
has to run cool and quiet, but which also has to run on a fair level of
power consumption given that I plan to use is as a file-server for 24/7/365?

HTPC or HPTC? HPTC meaning High-Performance Technical Computing?

Yousuf Khan
Old September 25th 05, 04:55 PM
Yousuf Khan

Anders Bang wrote:
Now, let me try and drag this discussion back onto the track. The important
part here is to try and find a CPU with a heat dissipation and power usage
as low as possible but powerful enough to be the center of a HTPC that is
going to be on 24 / 7 / 365. Now, the Turion being a CPU designed for mobile
computing sounded like a CPU that will fulfill these needs...? The reason
that I am so concerned about the power concumption / heat dissipation is
that the HTPC will obviously be idle a most of the time and therefore it
would be nice for it to use a whole lot of power while idle. Also, a low
heat dissipation would reduce the need for noisy fans in the case.

All of the AMD processors have a power saving mode, called PowerNow! in
laptops and Cool'N'Quiet in desktops. All of these processors will run
at pretty much the same power consumption rate at idle. The difference
between Turion and the others is that it's highest power consumption
won't exceed 35W (ML series) or 25W (MT series). But at idle they may
all be running at something like 8W.

There are Turion-based laptops being sold as Media Centre PCs nowadays.

Yousuf Khan