RAM suggestions for this new AMD rig . . .

Old September 20th 05, 11:47 PM
General Schvantzkoph

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 01:50:36 -0400, Chinooks_FURY wrote:

My first build:

This rig is for gaming. Want the most stable 2 GB's (2x1GB sticks) of RAM
out there for the non-OC'er. Don't know the first thing about OC'ing, just
want great RAM stock out of the box - money no object. Thanks in advance.

Build Specs:

Lian-Li PC-75B
PC Power & Cooling 510 SLI-PFC ATX12V 510W
DFI LANParty SLI-DR
AMD Athlon 64 4000+
XFX PVT70FUNDE Geforce 7800GTX
Plextor PX-716AL/SW - primary
Plextor PX-740A/SW-BL - secondary
Western Digital Raptor 74GB
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
Windows XP Pro SP

Your best bet is Crucial.
Old September 21st 05, 12:04 AM
Beoweolf

"Ed Light" wrote in message
I'm shy of Corsair. Got two Value Selects and they had different chipsets
and wouldn't run in dual channel. So I would advise to get a dual channel
kit.

I'm running four 512 Kingmax (2 dual-channel kits) and they run in
dual-channel at pc3200, if set manually. Passed a night of memtest86.

I see on newegg that people are happy with the Corsair Value Select 2 gig
dual channel kit.
If you're not overclocking, that would be a great choice.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

I have learned that purchasing high end memory is a lot like running dual
processors...it best to buy them together so you can insure
both come from the same batch. Trying to match them later is a big hassle.
Sometimes you can trade in a single
and get a matched pair...at your local vendor, not so sure about shipping
out and waiting for evaluation before getting
components back. Should watch out for different format too. Quality over
quantity.

Old September 21st 05, 01:03 AM
None

Chinooks_FURY wrote:
My first build:

This rig is for gaming. Want the most stable 2 GB's (2x1GB sticks) of RAM
out there for the non-OC'er. Don't know the first thing about OC'ing, just
want great RAM stock out of the box - money no object. Thanks in advance.

Build Specs:

Lian-Li PC-75B
PC Power & Cooling 510 SLI-PFC ATX12V 510W
DFI LANParty SLI-DR
AMD Athlon 64 4000+

Wesley Fink at AnandTech.com used OCZ PC3200 Platinum Rev. 2 for testing
of this very board:

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2337&p=6

It will probably work for you too.

Good luck.
Old September 21st 05, 04:17 AM
Chinooks_FURY

Great post - - - thanks!

Old September 22nd 05, 01:22 AM
LBJGH

OCZ PC3200 Platinum Rev. 2 is my suggestion... better than my previous
Corsair TwinX pc4000pro

Old September 23rd 05, 12:52 AM
pragi

OCZ matche pair value kit is very cheap at the moment and my system has
been rock steady on them had corsaire too both gd mi prefrence is the
ocz not much betwen them
granted dont have a dfi board i have a asus

so one of them too if it where me

Old September 23rd 05, 11:38 PM

Being a fairly large computer shop, I would have to say that I probably
need draftproofing, as one of the employees don't half fart and its
beginning to smell.