Pretty good explanation of x86-64 by HP

Old December 17th 04, 03:34 AM
keith

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 00:47:40 +0000, Larry Elmore wrote:

Yousuf Khan wrote:
George Macdonald wrote:

Well jsavard is using an *old* version of Free Agent but even the 1.93
I'm
using doesn't have a right click and "Save Link Target As.." I dunno
what
the big deal is on either side here - copy/paste of a URL is always
coming
up as a nuisance for file downloads, especially with the Adobe reader 6.0
being so damned slow to get started - the plugin has to load its err,
plugins to get started and then you also have to have it configured to
turn
off "fast web view" to get the whole document without paging through the
bugger... all a royal PITA.

I've switched over to Thunderbird now for all mail and news (except
binary news). Agent is still the one to use for binary news. Outlook
Express is still the one to use to gather dust. :-)

I thought it gathered flies...

Flies? ...perhaps bugs or viri!

--
Keith

Old December 17th 04, 03:46 AM
keith

Yousuf Khan wrote:

George Macdonald wrote:

[...]

Well, I was thinking "draws flies" in the way dog **** does, but I
didn't word that well. :-(

You did well enuff. I wuz trying to bring your virtual-visual back to
computereese. ;-)

--
Keith

Old December 17th 04, 04:50 AM
Bill Davidsen

Yousuf Khan wrote:
George Macdonald wrote:

Well jsavard is using an *old* version of Free Agent but even the 1.93
I'm
using doesn't have a right click and "Save Link Target As.." I dunno
what
the big deal is on either side here - copy/paste of a URL is always
coming
up as a nuisance for file downloads, especially with the Adobe reader 6.0
being so damned slow to get started - the plugin has to load its err,
plugins to get started and then you also have to have it configured to
turn
off "fast web view" to get the whole document without paging through the
bugger... all a royal PITA.

I've switched over to Thunderbird now for all mail and news (except
binary news). Agent is still the one to use for binary news. Outlook
Express is still the one to use to gather dust. :-)

Pan. Not all that great for text, doesn't seem to want to forward
articles as mail, but for multipart binaries it is the nuts.

--
bill davidsen )
Project Leader, USENET news
Old December 17th 04, 07:41 AM
Israel T

Bill Davidsen writes:

Pan. Not all that great for text, doesn't seem to want to forward
articles as mail, but for multipart binaries it is the nuts.

Gnus.
Its functionality is a superset of the union of all other newsreaders :-)
Old December 18th 04, 12:59 AM
George Macdonald

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 20:16:41 GMT, lid (John
Savard) wrote:

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 16:22:22 -0500, George Macdonald
wrote, in part:

Well jsavard is using an *old* version of Free Agent but even the 1.93 I'm
using doesn't have a right click and "Save Link Target As.." I dunno what
the big deal is on either side here - copy/paste of a URL is always coming
up as a nuisance for file downloads, especially with the Adobe reader 6.0
being so damned slow to get started

... I use 4.0 in my old version of Netscape, but I have 5.0 and 6.0
installed on my machine as well for things that don't display, or don't
display well, in 4.0.

I had to give up with 5.0 (5.1?) - it was driving me crazy with lock-ups in
Win98 on Exit - others had the same problem and I was never able to get to
the bottom of it... though I suspected a conflict between a plugin and IE
5.5SP2 and maybe Mozilla 1.4. I'd been resisting going to 6.0 since it is
a pig, buggy -- though 6.0.2 has helped there -- and I hate the new search.

But the small awkwardness of displaying the PDF in a browser, instead of
just downloading it was the lesser of the two issues I raised. Providing
instead, where possible, a page with a link to a PDF document allows
also navigating to *the rest of the site* it came from, which may
contain interesting related items.

OK I see what you mean. The first point is less important to me now since
I just built a new system but it was extremely irritating with my old PIII
450. Before anybody jumps on this, this is also a side effect of the many
Web sites which omit or specify the wrong Mime type for files and prevent
Mozilla from taking the proper Helper App action; apparently IE doesn't
care about such things.

Rgds, George Macdonald

Old December 18th 04, 05:33 AM
keith

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 03:50:10 +0000, Bill Davidsen wrote:

Yousuf Khan wrote:
George Macdonald wrote:

[...]

I guess I simply don't understand PAN, then. I find it rather good for
reading text groups, less so for posting (speel chequer?), and horrible
for ninary groups. Gravity has a wonderful Binary reading tool, that PAN
can only dream about.

--
Keith
Old December 18th 04, 10:42 AM
Craig Bergren

Yousuf Khan wrote:

Pan. Not all that great for text, doesn't seem to want to forward
articles as mail, but for multipart binaries it is the nuts.

You have to set up a profile that allows you to mail, it's not the same as
posting. Mail has different rules than Usenet. You may have to identify
yourself with a real email address for example.

I guess I simply don't understand PAN, then. I find it rather good for
reading text groups, less so for posting (speel chequer?), and horrible
for ninary groups. Gravity has a wonderful Binary reading tool, that PAN
can only dream about.

Perhaps I could be of some help. When you see red words, they are
misspelled. If you see a red word, click on the right mouse button for
suggestions from the dictionary. It took me a long time to find this
feature because the spelling suggestions only come up when you right
click and only when the mouse is over a red word and there is no "batch"
spell checker on the menu bar.

Old December 18th 04, 04:57 PM
keith

Yousuf Khan wrote:

[...]

Hmmm, perhaps I'm missing something in the setup then. There are no redd
worrds herre. KNode works for me the way you suggest above, but its
off-line reading is non-existant making on-line reading tedious, at best.
It's also *slow* as dirt, even on this Opteron 146.

--
Keith

Old December 22nd 04, 05:18 AM
Bill Davidsen

Yousuf Khan wrote:

George Macdonald wrote:

[...]

You can go to a group, one with many binary posts, like "adult digital
images" or many multipart binaries, like alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.blues,
and select what you want to download, click "save attachment" and have
it download and save hundreds of posts, assembling the multipart ones,
saving all of it in various directories, using as many threads (sockets)
as you are allowed to use, and then go to bed.

I just added another 200GB drive to my home system...

Another nice one is nget, will grab missing parts from another server.