Is this true about ASUS?

Old July 22nd 04, 07:49 PM
Ben Pope

Hellmark wrote:
Post Replies Here Please's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged
through his body we

Works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. I wish one rule could handle
all situations. For extremely long posts that are not reduced in size
bottom posting is a pain, especially when using the search engine at
google for groups.

Well, thats why most people who bottom post trim.

The whole point about this debate is not who top posts and who bottom posts,
and who trims and who doesn't (and which is best)

It's about presentation. If you post, you intend to be heard. If you
intend to be heard you should make the effort to present your argument well,
or not bother.

Trimming and bottom posting (or posting inline) is the best way to present
the information in almost all cases. If you are going to post at the top,
then the information below is detached from the reply and pretty much
useless (so you might as well trim it all). It's the idiots who put their
one-line reply (which is often pointless or hard to see) right before 30+
lines of included text (without so much as even hitting return after it to
separate it from the rest) that annoy me.

People who top post rarely trim anything ever, and you just end up with a
whole mess of characters in the message that are meaningless as they have no
context. It's not the top-posting per se that's the problem, it's laziness
of presentation, and there is a high correlation between the two. That's
not to say that people who bottom post are all exquisite posters either,
that would be far from the truth. But trimming (to make the included text
relevant) and replying to the relevant parts in relevant places is at least
a start to getting your point across well.

Ben

Old July 23rd 04, 12:36 AM
Ed Light

"Ben Pope" wrote
If you are going to post at the top,
then the information below is detached from the reply and pretty much
useless

It's there for those who are unsure what the previous post was.
If they don't get it, they can look below. If they do, they don't have to
bother going through it again to get to the reply.
I do think the stuff below deserves a trimming.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old July 23rd 04, 12:43 AM
Ben Pope

Ed Light wrote:
"Ben Pope" wrote
If you are going to post at the top,
then the information below is detached from the reply and pretty much
useless

It's there for those who are unsure what the previous post was.

It's there 'cos the poster can't be arsed to trim properly (or at all), in
most cases.

If they don't get it, they can look below. If they do, they don't have to
bother going through it again to get to the reply.
I do think the stuff below deserves a trimming.

Indeed.

Ben

Old July 23rd 04, 04:51 AM
Nelson M. G. Santiago

In , on 07/23/04
at 01:22 PM, GW De Lacey georgew (@) dnet.aunz.com Unbracket @ to
reply said:

Exactly! If everyone takes a just a small amount of care, a newsgroup
becomes a pleasure rather than a chore.
I fear though that concepts such as presentation and consideration for
others are a bit beyond the grasp some.

Sorry if this might (in)flame some but: isn't this a hardware NG?

Nelson

Nelson M. G. Santiago

Today is Fri Jul 23, 2004.

As of 0:51am this OS/2 Warp 4 system has been up for 0 days, 0 hours, and
29 minutes. It's running 31 processes with 132 threads.

Old July 23rd 04, 05:54 AM
Hellmark

Nelson M. G. Santiago's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged
through his body we
Sorry if this might (in)flame some but: isn't this a hardware NG?

Can't have on topic talk 100% of the time, it eventually erodes the
community away because there is only so much one can say about any given
subject.
Old July 23rd 04, 10:09 AM
Nelson M. G. Santiago

In t, on 07/23/04
at 04:54 AM, Hellmark said:

Can't have on topic talk 100% of the time, it eventually erodes the
community away because there is only so much one can say about any given
subject.

I do agree. But (and there's always a but) just some short statistics:
I got 62 posts from July 20th on (inclusive) before I wrote. From these,
18 were on topic, and 46 were about top/bottom posting, even with a small
start of a flame war. Though this subject started interesting and followed
in with a discussion about OSes, we were swaying away off topic, and
would, maybe, be discussing the sex of angels in a short time. I could
have killed the topic, but I don't like to do so. Just my 2 cents.

Nelson

Nelson M. G. Santiago

Today is Fri Jul 23, 2004.

As of 6:09am this OS/2 Warp 4 system has been up for 0 days, 5 hours, and
47 minutes. It's running 31 processes with 132 threads.