Black parts on screens after switching my Debian stable's Kernelsv2.6.32 to v3.2.0.

Old January 14th 13, 05:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.os.linux.hardware
Ant[_3_]

Default Black parts on screens after switching my Debian stable's Kernelsv2.6.32 to v3.2.0.

Hi!

I get a black screen (no Earth!) in Google Earth. Also, I see black form
boxes in Debian's login manager after using its Gnome v2.30.2/KDE v4.4.5
and logging out. Compiz-Fusion (fusion-icon &) seems to work fine. I
tried without it and still have the same symptoms.

I have to restart X to fix the login's black form boxes as a workaround.
http://pastie.org/5610800 for my Xorg.0.log when starting X, running
GE, and logging off Gnome. I am using the latest stable versions and the
backports through apt-get commands.

Thank you in advance.
--
"The men of experiment are like the ant; they only collect and use. But
the bee...gathers its materials from the flowers of the garden and of
Old January 14th 13, 04:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.os.linux.hardware
Aragorn[_2_]

On Monday 14 January 2013 05:03, Ant conveyed the following to
comp.os.linux.hardware...

Hi!

I get a black screen (no Earth!) in Google Earth. Also, I see black
form boxes in Debian's login manager after using its Gnome v2.30.2/KDE
v4.4.5 and logging out. Compiz-Fusion (fusion-icon &) seems to work
fine. I tried without it and still have the same symptoms.

I have to restart X to fix the login's black form boxes as a
workaround.
http://pastie.org/5610800 for my Xorg.0.log when starting X,
:running GE, and logging off Gnome. I am using the latest stable
versions and the backports through apt-get commands.

Thank you in advance.

1) Are you running the proprietary video drivers or are you using the
FLOSS drivers - i.e. nouveau, radeon, intel?

2) If you are using the proprietary drivers - i.e. nvidia, fglrx - have
you updated them too?

--
= Aragorn =
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
Old January 14th 13, 07:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.os.linux.hardware
Paul

Aragorn wrote:
[...]

It's in his pastie.org copy of Xorg.0.log.

"X.Org X Server 1.10.4

NVIDIA GLX Module 295.59 Wed Jun 6 21:40:44 PDT 2012
"

That suggests to me, a package downloaded from Nvidia (tainted).

I'd probably compare an older .log, from when it was working,
and see what extensions are no longer loading.

"Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension" ...

Or alternately, launch an app from the command line, that
shares the symptoms, and snag the stderr output emitted
when it happens. If a portion of the Xserver has a problem,
it should be logged somewhere. And if you can get a regular
app to suffer a "black square", maybe there will be something
on stderr, to hint as to what isn't working.

Paul
Old January 15th 13, 03:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Ant[_3_]

On 1/14/2013 7:23 AM PT, Aragorn typed:

I get a black screen (no Earth!) in Google Earth. Also, I see black
form boxes in Debian's login manager after using its Gnome v2.30.2/KDE
v4.4.5 and logging out. Compiz-Fusion (fusion-icon &) seems to work
fine. I tried without it and still have the same symptoms.

I have to restart X to fix the login's black form boxes as a
workaround.
http://pastie.org/5610800 for my Xorg.0.log when starting X,
:running GE, and logging off Gnome. I am using the latest stable
versions and the backports through apt-get commands.

Thank you in advance.

1) Are you running the proprietary video drivers or are you using the
FLOSS drivers - i.e. nouveau, radeon, intel?

Proprietary NVIDIA video drivers according to:
$ dpkg -l | grep ^ii |grep nvidia
ii glx-alternative-nvidia 0.2.0~bpo60+1
allows the selection of NVIDIA as GLX provider
ii libgl1-nvidia-alternatives 295.59-1~bpo60+2
transition libGL.so* diversions to glx-alternative-nvidia
ii libgl1-nvidia-alternatives-ia32 295.59-1~bpo60+2
simplifies replacing MESA libGL with GPU vendor libraries
(32-bit)
ii libgl1-nvidia-glx 295.59-1~bpo60+2
NVIDIA binary OpenGL libraries
ii libgl1-nvidia-glx-ia32 295.59-1~bpo60+2
NVIDIA binary OpenGL 32-bit libraries
ii libglx-nvidia-alternatives 295.59-1~bpo60+2
transition libgl.so diversions to glx-alternative-nvidia
ii nvidia-alternative 295.59-1~bpo60+2
allows the selection of NVIDIA as GLX provider
ii nvidia-glx 295.59-1~bpo60+2
NVIDIA metapackage
ii nvidia-glx-ia32 295.59-1~bpo60+2
NVIDIA 32-bit libraries (transitional package)
ii nvidia-installer-cleanup 20111111+1~bpo60+1
Cleanup after driver installation with the nvidia-installer
ii nvidia-kernel-common 20111111+1~bpo60+1
NVIDIA binary kernel module support files
ii nvidia-kernel-dkms 295.59-1~bpo60+2
NVIDIA binary kernel module DKMS source
ii nvidia-kernel-source 295.59-1~bpo60+2
NVIDIA binary kernel module source
ii nvidia-settings 295.49-1~bpo60+1
Tool for configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver
ii nvidia-support 20111111+1~bpo60+1
NVIDIA binary graphics driver support files
ii nvidia-vdpau-driver 295.59-1~bpo60+2
NVIDIA vdpau driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-nvidia 295.59-1~bpo60+2
NVIDIA binary Xorg driver

2) If you are using the proprietary drivers - i.e. nvidia, fglrx - have
you updated them too?

They are updated according to Debian stable, with its backports, unless
I missed something? :/
--
"The ambitious one makes friends with the elephant, then tramples upon
the ant." --Indian
Old January 15th 13, 03:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.os.linux.hardware
Ant[_3_]

On 1/13/2013 8:03 PM PT, Ant typed:

I get a black screen (no Earth!) in Google Earth. Also, I see black form
boxes in Debian's login manager after using its Gnome v2.30.2/KDE v4.4.5
and logging out. Compiz-Fusion (fusion-icon &) seems to work fine. I
tried without it and still have the same symptoms.

I have to restart X to fix the login's black form boxes as a workaround.
http://pastie.org/5610800 for my Xorg.0.log when starting X, running
GE, and logging off Gnome. I am using the latest stable versions and the
backports through apt-get commands.

I fixed Google Earth. It seems to requires nvidia-vdpau-driver-ia32
package. Why? I don't know. [gets slimed]

I guess I could live with gdm's black form boxes login issue since I can
restart X to see them again. Annoying. I should had not upgraded. :P
--
...."Like me with the anthill in my backyard. I spent days watching the
ants, trying to figure out which ones were good, and which ones were
bad, but they all just looked like ants, so I started smiting all of
them." "Well that's not --" "I was smiting them with the garden hose,
and with lighter fluid, and with the lawnmower, and to be perfectly
honest, I think I went a little crazy with the shovel. Those ants could
have been praying to me all day, I wouldn't have heard them." "There was
nothing they could do about it." "But, I don't think --" "Really, it's
the same with us. There's nothing we can do about anything either, so
why worry about it? Hey, this is making me feel better." "Well, that's
good, but --" "I guess all we can do is live our lives with as much
kindness and decency as possible, and try not to dwell on God standing
over us with a giant shovel."...--Dewey and Teacher in Day Care episode
from Malcolm in the Middle
| |o o| |