Thuban compatibility with AM2+ Motherboards

Old May 13th 10, 11:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Miles Bader[_2_]

Default Thuban compatibility with AM2+ Motherboards

AGross writes:
As a rule of thumb, users with AM2+/SB600 should limit themselves to
X4 Phenom II CPUs or switch to a AM3 motherboard or AM2+ with SB700 or
better.

Is it likely that SB700 AM2+ MBs will support X6 cpus if the
manufacturer doesn't explicitly say so?

I looked at the web page for my MB and it didn't list any X6 cpus

http://www.gigabyte.co.jp/Support/Mo...r=#anchor_o s

-Miles

--
The key to happiness
is having dreams. [from a fortune cookie]
Old May 13th 10, 11:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
AGross

Don't know about SB700, but AM2+/SB7[1|5]0 works ok, though on some is
'unknown processor' and some post quirks, but after that is 100%
stable.

Is it likely that SB700 AM2+ MBs will support X6 cpus if the
manufacturer doesn't explicitly say so?

I looked at the web page for my MB and it didn't list any X6 cpus

http://www.gigabyte.co.jp/Support/Mo...t_Model.aspx?P...

-Miles

Old May 14th 10, 04:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Miles Bader[_2_]

AGross writes:
Is it likely that SB700 AM2+ MBs will support X6 cpus if the
manufacturer doesn't explicitly say so?

I looked at the web page for my MB and it didn't list any X6 cpus

Don't know about SB700, but AM2+/SB7[1|5]0 works ok, though on some is
'unknown processor' and some post quirks, but after that is 100%
stable.

Hmm, I looked at the website again today, and now it shows support!
[Only for the 1035T and 1055T, but that's OK, since they're only 95W,
and I'd like to avoid the hottest chips.]

So I guess SB700 systems don't have any fundamental probs.

-Miles

--
Mayonnaise, n. One of the sauces that serve the French in place of a state
religion.
Old May 14th 10, 07:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
AGross

On May 14, 6:20*am, Miles Bader wrote:
AGross writes:
Is it likely that SB700 AM2+ MBs will support X6 cpus if the
manufacturer doesn't explicitly say so?

I looked at the web page for my MB and it didn't list any X6 cpus

Don't know about SB700, but AM2+/SB7[1|5]0 works ok, though on some is
'unknown processor' and some post quirks, but after that is 100%
stable.

Hmm, I looked at the website again today, and now it shows support!
[Only for the 1035T and 1055T, but that's OK, since they're only 95W,
and I'd like to avoid the hottest chips.]

So I guess SB700 systems don't have any fundamental probs.

-Miles

--
Mayonnaise, n. One of the sauces that serve the French in place of a state
religion.

That is more a question of cooling. I had an 125W X2 6000+ (the first
3Ghz X2) on an mATX motherboard (Gigabyte) which officially doesn't
support 125W CPUs. I worked fine in a case ventilated by 3 120mm fans
and a Zalman copper-something cooler. As long as the cooler can absorb
the heat generated and the case is ventilated, there is no danger, at
least not with Gigabyte , ASUS, MSI etc. Maybe very cheap mobos have
poor voltage regulators that might give in.

Good Thuban Availabilty AGross AMD x86-64 Processors 0 April 28th 10 08:50 AM
ram compatibility? sohn Gateway Computers 4 April 21st 08 06:36 AM
Silverstone TJ-06 case and nForce 4 Socket 939 motherboards compatibility leadfoot Overclocking AMD Processors 5 September 8th 05 03:32 AM
CPU Compatibility Bill Intel 4 July 1st 05 07:49 AM
any compatibility problems with radeon and amd / tyan motherboards ? rabid Ati Videocards 1 November 14th 03 02:17 PM