How hot can a phenom get and still function?

Old June 29th 09, 05:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Zootal[_3_]

Default How hot can a phenom get and still function?

I have a Phenom 9950 quad core, 2600MHz. I'm looking at the temp monitor and
it says 128C, or 262F. I kinda don't think that is correct - the fan is
running, heat sink appears to be properly attached and feels like it
normally does - warm, not too hot.

I once had a power supply wire stop the fan, and cpu temp slowly climbed up
to 180F. I freed the fan so it could spin, and it dropped to it's normal
running temp of about 110F. So, is it even possible for a cpu to reach 262F
and still function?

Old June 29th 09, 06:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Miles Bader[_2_]

"Zootal" writes:
I have a Phenom 9950 quad core, 2600MHz. I'm looking at the temp monitor and
it says 128C, or 262F. I kinda don't think that is correct - the fan is
running, heat sink appears to be properly attached and feels like it
normally does - warm, not too hot.

The Phenom I has a documented bug in the on-chip temperature sensor.
AFAIK all relevant motherboards include standalone temperature-sensing
chips, which are used to control the fan etc.

-Miles

--
Virtues, n. pl. Certain abstentions.
Old June 30th 09, 05:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Zootal[_3_]

"Miles Bader" wrote in message
"Zootal" writes:
I have a Phenom 9950 quad core, 2600MHz. I'm looking at the temp monitor
and
it says 128C, or 262F. I kinda don't think that is correct - the fan is
running, heat sink appears to be properly attached and feels like it
normally does - warm, not too hot.

The Phenom I has a documented bug in the on-chip temperature sensor.
AFAIK all relevant motherboards include standalone temperature-sensing
chips, which are used to control the fan etc.

-Miles

--

Didn't know that - but that would explain what I've seen two seperate
phenoms do. I had another one that would suddenly jump up to 160F or so (my