Latest XP update -- questions

Old August 13th 04, 06:03 PM
MB

Default Latest XP update -- questions

1) I use ZoneAlarm and I intend to keep it as everything I've read indicates
it is better than the new firewall contained in the update. If I keep ZA,
should I also keep active the new firewall or should I disable that to avoid
any conflicts.

2) I'm confused about using the automatic update. Currently, I am usually
notified that a critical update exists and then I go and install it at my
leisure (usually within a few hours). If I do the automatic updates, is it
likely to interrupt important computer things that I might be doing (like
playing poker-g) and immediately d/l a new update or do I have the option
to say go ahead or say do it later?

Mel

Old August 13th 04, 06:23 PM
Bob

According to the documentation you should only have one firewall running.

Old August 13th 04, 07:51 PM
Jupiter Jones

Mel;
Some report no problems with multiple firewalls but Microsoft and
others suggest only one firewall.

Automatic Update occurs in the background and is not an issue for
most.
There are several options, choose the one that works best for you.
Right click My Computer
Click Properties
Click Automatic Update tab.
Set as desired.

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

Old August 13th 04, 08:52 PM
Tom

"MB" wrote in message
1) I use ZoneAlarm and I intend to keep it as everything I've read
indicates
it is better than the new firewall contained in the update. If I keep ZA,
should I also keep active the new firewall or should I disable that to
avoid
any conflicts.

The new Windows Security Center that comes with SP2 will take care of it for
you. After installing SP2, it will scan your computer for any firewall
software, including ZA, McAfee, Norton, etc., and only turn on the Windows
firewall if it doesn't find another. It will also tell you if it finds
multiple firewalls, and warn you that only one should be turned on.

2) I'm confused about using the automatic update. Currently, I am usually
notified that a critical update exists and then I go and install it at my
leisure (usually within a few hours). If I do the automatic updates, is it
likely to interrupt important computer things that I might be doing (like
playing poker-g) and immediately d/l a new update or do I have the
option
to say go ahead or say do it later?

After installing SP2 you are presented with a dialog that asks you to turn
on Automatic Update, or just notify you when an update is available so you
can decide whether or not to install it. The "Automatic" option is designed
for the novice, which is probably the majority. I prefer to read reviews of
each update before installing, that way I can decide if I really need it, or
if it might cause problems with my hardware. You have to decide based on
past experience.

Mel

Old August 13th 04, 08:57 PM
Ogden Johnson III

"MB" wrote:

1) I use ZoneAlarm and I intend to keep it as everything I've read indicates
it is better than the new firewall contained in the update. If I keep ZA,
should I also keep active the new firewall or should I disable that to avoid
any conflicts.

Run one firewall only. Also, ZA and others will monitor outgoing
/from/ your computer, the XP firewall doesn't.

2) I'm confused about using the automatic update. Currently, I am usually
notified that a critical update exists and then I go and install it at my
leisure (usually within a few hours). If I do the automatic updates, is it
likely to interrupt important computer things that I might be doing (like
playing poker-g) and immediately d/l a new update or do I have the option
to say go ahead or say do it later?

The XP, and previous IIRC, Auto-update is configurable. I have
mine set to a) notify me when critical updates are available,
rather than automagically d/ling and installing them, and b) once
downloaded, again wait for me to tell XP when I want the
installation of the critical updates to be done. For me, when XP
checks and finds critical updates are available, it merely
announces that fact with a balloon from an icon it puts in the
system tray. I can tell it "don't bother me now, check back in
whatever", and the icon will just sit in the system tray as a
reminder. When I tell it to go ahead and download, it again will
ask, upon completion of the download, if I want to install now or
wait. If the latter, again an icon remains in the system tray
until I click on it and say "OK, install now".

The auto update only addresses "critical" updates; you still need
to use the IE6 Tools | Update Windows feature or other method to
find out about non-critical updates and driver updates.
--
OJ III
Old August 13th 04, 10:25 PM
Sparky

MB wrote:

1) I use ZoneAlarm and I intend to keep it as everything I've read indicates
it is better than the new firewall contained in the update. If I keep ZA,
should I also keep active the new firewall or should I disable that to avoid
any conflicts.

Stick with ZA

2) I'm confused about using the automatic update. Currently, I am usually
notified that a critical update exists and then I go and install it at my
leisure (usually within a few hours). If I do the automatic updates, is it
likely to interrupt important computer things that I might be doing (like
playing poker-g) and immediately d/l a new update or do I have the option
to say go ahead or say do it later?

I do not authorize anyone to update my computer without my say so each
time, nor do I authorize anyone to charge my checking account on an
ongoing basis (I authorize every EFT payment every month - not too
burdensome, IMHO).
Old August 14th 04, 05:18 AM
Ted

"Jan" wrote in message news:MPG.1b87303ab84d1f10989699@shawnews...

You can use both firewalls - no problems with either my pc or my
sisters.

Uhm, you have both ICF and ZA enabled? Why?
Old August 14th 04, 04:07 PM
Joe Morris

"Tom" writes:

"MB" wrote in message
1) I use ZoneAlarm and I intend to keep it as everything I've read
indicates
it is better than the new firewall contained in the update. If I keep ZA,
should I also keep active the new firewall or should I disable that to
avoid
any conflicts.

The new Windows Security Center that comes with SP2 will take care of it for
you. After installing SP2, it will scan your computer for any firewall
software, including ZA, McAfee, Norton, etc., and only turn on the Windows
firewall if it doesn't find another. It will also tell you if it finds
multiple firewalls, and warn you that only one should be turned on.

Not quite...the problem is that the third-party AV or firewall has to
be designed to use a specific MS-defined interface to essentially
register its presence. In my shop, for example, Zone Integrity 4.5.070
is not recognized by Security Center, and neither is Symantic Antivirus 8.
We're in the process of moving to Zone Flex (a centrally-managed firewall
product) which will correctly register itself, and SAV9, which also
makes its presence known to the Security Center.

I have no experience with retail versions of either Norton AV or Zone
so I can't comment on how well they interact with the Security Center.

Joe Morris