HP scanjet 5p intallation problem on Windows 98

Old August 23rd 04, 06:20 AM
Ed S.

Default HP scanjet 5p intallation problem on Windows 98

I've recently reinstalled all of the software (OS included) on a Windows
98 system. However, I'm having problems getting HP Scanjet 5p drivers
to install correctly. I'm using the HP supplied SCSI card to connect my
scanner to the PC. The SCSI driver seems to install fine. The scanner
drivers do not appear to install correctly. After installation, the
control panel/system/device manager indicates an HPC5110A is present
under "Other Devices". However, it also indicates that the driver was
not actually installed. I think there should be a scanner device
installed that the C5110A should be installed under but it isn't there.

The driver disk being used is HP ScanJet Scanner PrecisionScan Software.
It is the same software that was previously installed on the computer
and was working fine. My installation process is as follows:

1. Install Scanner Software
2. Power-down PC and install SCSI card
3. Connect scanner, power-up scanner
4. Power-up PC
5. PC recognizes SCSI card and installs driver, PC boots ok.
6. Try scanner - doesn't work

Any help would be much appreciated. It's an old scanner but the
hardware still worked fine.

Regards,
Ed S.
Old August 23rd 04, 04:16 PM
CSM1

"Ed S." wrote in message
news
[...]

The older HP scanners will often show in Windows 98 Device Manager under
"Other Devices". Will not show unless the scanner is connected, turned on
and working.

ASPI is needed to communicate with a SCSI device.

Windows 98 is supposed to have ASPI already installed. But in case ASPI is
not on your computer, Install ASPI from Adaptec. Direct link to download.
Right click and Save Target As.
http://download.adaptec.com/software...aspi_471a2.exe

Link to page explaining ASPI installation.Windows ASPI drivers version
v4.71.2

http://adaptec.com/worldwide/support...aspi_471a2.exe

If you do not have a TWAIN compliant Photo Editor, download and install
free Irfanview and plugins.
http://www.irfanview.com/

I suggest using the following procedure.

1. Remove any previous HP scanner software installation. Scsi card and
scanner software.
2. Power-down PC and install SCSI card.
3. Power on computer
4. Install Scsi card driver.
5. Reboot.
6. Let PC install Scsi card driver. Reboot computer.
7. Install the twain or scanner software.
8. Reboot computer.
9. Power-off computer.
10. Connect scanner and power up the scanner on a separate from computer
power plug. Power on the computer. Computer should run hardware wizard and
install Twain. Reboot Computer.
11. Open Photo editor, try to import from scanner via TWAIN interface.

I have suggested that you reboot the computer at every step, not a good idea
to skip the reboots. The OS only loads the new drivers at restart. Changes
are not noticed until restart.

After everything is working, make sure STIMON.EXE is started and running at
startup.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Old August 26th 04, 10:00 PM
Ed S.

CSM1 wrote:
"Ed S." wrote in message
news
[...]

Thank you for your help. I now have everything working!