5800 Ultra Re-Use for kid but without noisy fan

Old January 21st 04, 03:52 PM
b00gjuice

Default 5800 Ultra Re-Use for kid but without noisy fan

Hi all,

I want to re-use my old 5800 Ultra in my kids computer but
without the noisy fan. I plan on underclocking the card to reduce
the heat. I want to be able to take off the noisy fan and underclock
the card. Does anyone know if this is possible?

I read about the Zalman ZM80C-HP + ZM-OP1 and I was
wondering if anyone has used this combo with a 5800 or 5800 Ultra?

I am thinking that I should be able to remove the noisy fan and clock the
card for 3D at say 300/300 and let the existing heatpipe thing keep it
cool, just like in 2D when the fan is off. Does anyone know if the
FX 5800 Ultra knows if the fan is removed and will not work
correctly?

Thanks

Old January 21st 04, 08:45 PM
Nick (no dashes)

b00gjuice wrote:
Hi all,

I want to re-use my old 5800 Ultra in my kids computer but
without the noisy fan. I plan on underclocking the card to reduce
the heat. I want to be able to take off the noisy fan and underclock
the card. Does anyone know if this is possible?

I read about the Zalman ZM80C-HP + ZM-OP1 and I was
wondering if anyone has used this combo with a 5800 or 5800 Ultra?

I am thinking that I should be able to remove the noisy fan and clock the
card for 3D at say 300/300 and let the existing heatpipe thing keep it
cool, just like in 2D when the fan is off. Does anyone know if the
FX 5800 Ultra knows if the fan is removed and will not work
correctly?

Thanks

boogjuice, if you scrolled back just a few days you would see a thread
nearly specifically on this - or search google.

ANswer is YES, it will work, I put it onto a 5900. Zalmans web site
states compatability with 5800 cards.

Old January 21st 04, 09:32 PM
b00gjuice

Thanks,