XP Authentication after June 30?

Old April 14th 08, 04:10 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
a concerned member of the usenet community

Default XP Authentication after June 30?

So if MS is going to stop selling XP after June 30... will it also stop
requiring authentication calls and such?

Old April 14th 08, 07:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
johns

Watch for someone else .. like the Feds ... to take it
over and support it. Dropping XP is like dropping cars
in favor of jet planes. Jets are faster. Cars are here to
stay. It would not surprise me one bit to see a
competing version of XP come out of China or Europe.

johns
Old April 14th 08, 12:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jon Danniken

"johns" wrote:
Watch for someone else .. like the Feds ... to take it
over and support it. Dropping XP is like dropping cars
in favor of jet planes. Jets are faster. Cars are here to
stay.

Yeah, that's what we tried to say with Win2k.

Jon

Old April 14th 08, 05:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
johns

Yeah, that's what we tried to say with Win2k.

You can trot right over to IBM and buy their version
of Win2K. They support it for the Feds who never
went with XP. Good bet that IBM will now pick up
XP and rework it for the Feds.

If Microsoft drops XP, it will be like creating a
company that can take their market away from
them. I would think they learned when IBM got
the Federal PC contract and a load of business.

Of course, HP has that contract right now. But
they are running IBM software ... Win2K. What
a hoot.

johns
Old April 14th 08, 07:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Lee M.

"johns" wrote in message
Yeah, that's what we tried to say with Win2k.

You can trot right over to IBM and buy their version
of Win2K. They support it for the Feds who never
went with XP. Good bet that IBM will now pick up
XP and rework it for the Feds.

If Microsoft drops XP, it will be like creating a
company that can take their market away from
them. I would think they learned when IBM got
the Federal PC contract and a load of business.

Of course, HP has that contract right now. But
they are running IBM software ... Win2K. What
a hoot.

johns

I worked for a German company in the US which had almost 200,000 employees
and did $25B in sales. They are still running Win2k on the corporate
network.

Old April 14th 08, 11:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DaveW[_5_]

Don't you wish...

"Billy loves me this I know,
For the MS tells me so."

--
--DaveW

Old April 15th 08, 03:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jon Danniken

"nobody " wrote:
Jon Danniken wrote:
"johns" wrote:
Watch for someone else .. like the Feds ... to take it
over and support it. Dropping XP is like dropping cars
in favor of jet planes. Jets are faster. Cars are here to
stay.

Yeah, that's what we tried to say with Win2k.

.....and 98SE

While 98SE was usable, it still had problems with stability and longevity of
installation.. Win2k was a rock solid performer, the only issue being it's
planned obsolescence at the hands of it's creator.

I still curse having to use WinXP on my box, and still consider going back.

Jon

Old April 15th 08, 09:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Guest[_6_]

"Lee M." wrote in message . ..

"johns" wrote in message
Yeah, that's what we tried to say with Win2k.

You can trot right over to IBM and buy their version
of Win2K. They support it for the Feds who never
went with XP. Good bet that IBM will now pick up
XP and rework it for the Feds.

If Microsoft drops XP, it will be like creating a
company that can take their market away from
them. I would think they learned when IBM got
the Federal PC contract and a load of business.

Of course, HP has that contract right now. But
they are running IBM software ... Win2K. What
a hoot.

johns

I worked for a German company in the US which had almost 200,000 employees
and did $25B in sales. They are still running Win2k on the corporate
network.

So are thousands of other corporations, who never had any reason
to "upgrade" to any MS product after Win2K and retrain their tech
support teams. Again.

Now that Vista is going over like a lead balloon, it'll be interesting
to see what MS does. In the meantime it's a riot watching MS
pretend Win2K no longer even exists.

Old April 16th 08, 02:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
class_a

johns wrote:
Watch for someone else .. like the Feds ... to take it
over and support it. Dropping XP is like dropping cars
in favor of jet planes. Jets are faster. Cars are here to
stay.

Not a great comparison. Vista is certainly not a jet if XP runs at car
speeds. Vista is more like a bicycle