ssd solid state drive ram

Old November 16th 06, 05:08 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
HarryHydro

Default ssd solid state drive ram

Hi Folks:
I'm on a quest for something new - for something old. I'm not even
sure it exists. Here at work, we use laptops in the field to do SCADA
work, collecting RTU data, etc. Many times out in the middle of
nowhere (no AC power) away from out vehicles. I've just pulled a dead
hard-drive out of an otherwise fine laptop. These things get beaten, I
guess with all the vibration, foul-humid weather, and being dropped.
We've used the USB drives on new computers which work great, but they
stick out and always break off. It would be great if we could have a
small RAM drive that would plug where the hard drive plugs. It looks
like samsung mentions something, but I haven't seen it. We don't need a
big drive. Actually, our 'bread-and-butter' applications are DOS
based. Has this been done? Are they expen$ive?
Thanks!
Harry

Old November 16th 06, 06:23 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Paul Rubin

"HarryHydro" writes:
We've used the USB drives on new computers which work great, but they
stick out and always break off. It would be great if we could have a
small RAM drive that would plug where the hard drive plugs.

Also the Super Talent drives he

http://meritline.com/micro-hard-driv...ash-drive.html
Old November 16th 06, 07:22 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

HarryHydro wrote

I'm on a quest for something new - for something old. I'm not even
sure it exists. Here at work, we use laptops in the field to do SCADA
work, collecting RTU data, etc. Many times out in the middle of
nowhere (no AC power) away from out vehicles. I've just pulled a dead
hard-drive out of an otherwise fine laptop. These things get beaten,
I guess with all the vibration, foul-humid weather, and being dropped.

That can happen with any laptop, even ones that never leave a desk.

We've used the USB drives on new computers which
work great, but they stick out and always break off.

The ones that come in the form of a PCMCIA/PC Card/Cardbus format
dont stick out past the edge of the laptop so should be what you want.

It would be great if we could have a small RAM
drive that would plug where the hard drive plugs.

Thats done with a PCMCIA/PC Card/Cardbus format card instead for laptops.

It looks like samsung mentions something, but I haven't seen it.

Yes, it hasnt got to market yet.

We don't need a big drive. Actually, our 'bread-and-butter'
applications are DOS based. Has this been done?

Yes, but they arent designed for the low power you need.

The PCMCIA/PC Card/Cardbus format cards are.

Are they expen$ive?

Yes, because the mass market is with the USB 'thumb' drives.