P4B533-E Date Problem

Old July 29th 05, 01:56 PM
Larry Roberts

Default P4B533-E Date Problem

Not sure if this is a MB problem or a WinXP problem, but I suspect the MB.
The problem is that when booting this system (on a 3-client LAN) on 28 July,
all kinds of problems were experienced--no Internet connection, couldn't
talk to the router, some programs would not work, and so on. I have
conducted 2 days of experimentation so far like replacing the boot drive,
restoring recent drive images, re-flashing the BIOS, re-installing LAN
"card" drivers, and probably a bunch of other troubleshooting procedures I
have since fogotten.

As long as the date on this system is set at greater than 27 July, it cannot
access the Internet through the router/DSL modem, and the other problems
mentioned above are experienced. Funny thing is that this system can
communicate with the other clients on the LAN. I completely redid the
router-client setup from scratch and that did not correct the problem with
this system. The other clients are working perfectly with Internet
connection and no problems.

The wierd thing is that if I change the system date in Windows or in the
BIOS setup back to 27 July or earlier, the system works fine. When I change
the date back to a date greater than 27 July, the problems return.

Appreciate any ideas, 'cause I'm about to replace the whole stinkin' system
and the router if I can't find the cause of this problem soon.

Thanks, Larry
================
Three client LAN
This particular system is:
ASUS P4B533-E MB (BIOS 1014e--latest non-beta BIOS)
2.4 GHz P4 CPU
1 GB memory
2 large HD's
On-board Intel PRO/100 VE Ethernet
LinkSys BEFSR41 Router (using embedded DHCP)
1.5 mbps DSL

Old July 29th 05, 02:01 PM
Larry Roberts

Forgot to mention that I checked the system with the latest (28 July) NAV
def files, and also with AntiVir--nothing found. Checked for spyware using
Pest Patrol and Ad-Aware. PP found one item called Actual Spy--removed that.
Ad-Aware found an item called WEBHANCER which I removed. This had no effect
on the problem.

nk.net...

Old August 1st 05, 12:01 PM
Larry Roberts

Here's the culprit. Wasn't a MB problem after all.

+++++++++++++++++

Java Runtime Environment expiration

Problem Summary

In order for PowerChute Business Edition to remain functional, users must
upgrade to any version of 7.x. Due to expiration of the Sun Java Runtime
Environment certificate, versions 6.x of PowerChute Business Edition will
cease to operate normally as of July 27, 2005. Failure to upgrade will
result in PowerChute Business Edition no longer providing monitoring and
graceful shutdown of your system.

Impact

Customers running PowerChute Business Edition 6.x after July 27, 2005 will
have the following experience: When a power event occurs, such as a power
failure, PowerChute Business Edition will perform a graceful shutdown. When
power is restored, the UPS will reboot and the Operating System will be
restored. At this juncture, the PowerChute Business Edition service will no
longer provide monitoring and graceful shutdown of your system. Users must
upgrade to PowerChute Business Edition 7.x.

Sound card problem Phileas General 10 May 9th 04 10:55 PM
PXE Problem auf ASUS P4B533 Robert Steichele Asus Motherboards 1 May 6th 04 11:26 AM
Problem with freezing mouse, Windows Explorer Jon Davis General 3 April 3rd 04 04:06 AM
* A7N8X bios/boot problem - Save & Exit death problem ? Jay Bittle Asus Motherboards 1 January 12th 04 08:16 AM
Ram problem on P4B533 marzio biella Asus Motherboards 5 December 9th 03 04:59 AM