Need for Speed: Underground - catalyst 4.2

Old February 18th 04, 02:20 AM
Nathan

Default Need for Speed: Underground - catalyst 4.2

I have the 9600xt and ever since I updated my drivers to catalyst 4.2 my
screen would turn black if I turned on any of the display features such as
light trails or motion blur in NFS: Underground. I would see my tach,
speedometer, map of where the cars are and the place I'm in, but the main
display is black. I need to fiddle with the settings in order for me to
actually see the screen again.

On a good note, though, Medal of Honor doesn't lock up anymore when playing
multiplayer. ;-)

Old February 18th 04, 11:47 AM
+CrimsonLiar

On a 9800XT NFSU is certainly not slow, oh oh what eye-candy.

One point though, I cant use the auto-update it totally messes up my video
for some reason (yes i did turn of AV), where downloading the patch and
installing works fine.

CrimsonLiar

I've read a review the other day where the 4.2 were very slow in NFS
Underground if I remember that correctly. Maybe the 4.2 don't work so
well with that game.

Achim

Old February 18th 04, 06:58 PM
Asestar

May depend on system to system. On my new-built "aging" system, Duron 1300,
radeon8500le 64, pc133 512mb ram Cat4.2 were faster than both 3.10 and 3.7,
also omega 4.1. And that's on nfsu-.

"Joachim Trensz" wrote in message
+CrimsonLiar wrote:
On a 9800XT NFSU is certainly not slow, oh oh what eye-candy.

One point though, I cant use the auto-update it totally messes up my

video
for some reason (yes i did turn of AV), where downloading the patch and
installing works fine.

The 4.2 were relatively slow as compared to other CAT drivers (CAT 3.10
or 4.1 I think were the ones they compared them).

Achim

Old February 18th 04, 09:57 PM
+CrimsonLiar

Depends on whats considered slow, im running a 9800XT with an Athlon XP3200+
(400 FSB) with full eyecandy @ 1280x1024 2xFSAA and 8xAnistropic and
acording to FRAPS its coming in at around 70FPS. Fast nuff for me

CrimsonLiar

Old February 19th 04, 12:14 AM
Asestar

Yepp true there. In 3.xx series you get often high fps in games and most
benches, but the games were a bit coppy and not smooth.
While 4.2 never give very high peak fps(like 3.xx) but the average is much
better. Hence most games runs smoother. Good job ati.

Asestar wrote:
May depend on system to system. On my new-built "aging" system, Duron

1300,
radeon8500le 64, pc133 512mb ram Cat4.2 were faster than both 3.10 and

3.7,
also omega 4.1. And that's on nfsu-.

Interesting. For me, they were a tad slower in Lock On (Lomac) than the
3.10, but very smooth in high mountains where especially the 3.7 used to
produce some stutter despite higher _indicated_ fps.

Achim

Old February 19th 04, 12:34 PM
We Live For The One We Die For The One

Just slow as the 3.10, 4.2 sounds good

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 12:21:23 +0100, Joachim Trensz
wrote:

Asestar wrote:
May depend on system to system. On my new-built "aging" system, Duron 1300,
radeon8500le 64, pc133 512mb ram Cat4.2 were faster than both 3.10 and 3.7,
also omega 4.1. And that's on nfsu-.

That test bed system was based on an XP3000 AFAIR.

Achim