AIW 9700Pro - apparently no video overlay

Old November 13th 03, 03:06 PM
David T. Metz

Default AIW 9700Pro - apparently no video overlay

I have a problem w. my newly acquired AIW 977Pro. It is impossible for me
to get video overlay from either the tv-tuner or the video in. The tuner
seems to work since it tunes to the existing channels and the sound is
passed through nicely to my sound card. Also the sound passes through on
the audio connections.

I tried to capture to file w. all installed codecs in turn, but no luck in
MMC - it wont capture anything, it does drop a file on 26 kB, though, no
matter how long the capture attempt is.

I have tried the card in two different computers with a variety of drivers
and a variety of Windows versions - including different versions of
DirectX - 8.1, 9.0, 9,0b, 9.0b with PAL fix (I'm in PAL land):

The drivers/programs I have tried:
Catalyst 3.1 (from the driver CD) and 3.9 + 3.9 w. OGL-fix(from ATI)
WDM's: 6.14.10.6224 (included in Cat 3.9), 6217, 6207, 6.14.01.6184 (on the
CD)
Ati MMC: 8.1, 8.7
OS: WinME, WinXP

On the intended machine I have Win XP sp1 (newly installed) w. the
following hardwa
Soltek 3401 (Barebone)
i856g (internal graphics disabled in BIOS, also disabled all USB-ports to
avoid irq-conflicts)
on-board Realtek sound
P4 2.8c (tried switching off HT)
1 GB Dual channel DDR
WD Raptor SATA

The old machine I tried the card on:
ASUS A7V
via-something chipset (no graphics or sound)
SB 512-card
AMD T-bird 900
256 MB Ram
WD ATA Hdd.

I tried asking in a danish newsgroup. Some had had problems almost similar,
but were able to get pictures during channel surf in the tv app. -
apparently channel surf does not use overlay(?) - but I had no such luck.

When I tried different driver versions I did a thorough de-install - using
the windows "system restore" or using thorough guides to clean old .inf
files and the registry.

I'm considering the card might be broken, but the symptoms are odd. It is
only the video overlay that does not work (i.e. no picture) - the window is
all black, but turns blue if I adjust the overlay settings in the ATI
control panel. A few times the window turns green on the lower half of it
when I e.g. resize from small to large or full screen but it doesn't always
do so. 2D and 3D graphics otherwise work fine.

Has anyone experienced something similar and perhaps found a fix? Or can
you spot an obvious error in the above?

David
--
Fix Outlook Express så det citerer ordentligt:
http://flash.to/oe-quotefix/