Western Digital or Maxtor?

Old July 1st 03, 07:00 PM
mbarbet

Default Western Digital or Maxtor?

Hi!

I am shopping for an 80GB hard drive but could not decide between Western
Digital WD800JB and Maxtor 6Y080P0. Both have 8MB cache and cost about the
same. Which one is quieter and cooler? Are there any other brands/models
should I consider to? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Old July 1st 03, 08:31 PM
WooduCoodu

neither is quiet. look for the new samsung SP0802N or SP0812N. it's still
pretty new so you may have trouble finding it for a little while yet. the
SP0812N is supposed to be the 8mb cache version.

Old July 1st 03, 10:26 PM
Papa

I prefer Western Digital because I've never had any problems with them in
over 12 years. I recently purchased the WD800JB (80 GB HD with 8 MB cache)
for $81.50 from Newegg. Free shipping, no tax.

Old July 1st 03, 10:31 PM
Papa

My WD800JB hard drive is VERY quiet. I cannot hear it even when running a
hard drive intensive program such as Defrag.

Old July 1st 03, 10:52 PM
Tony Scott

Just 'lost' a Maxtor 80Mb 8mb drive yesterday. Part of a 0/1 RAID array, so
no data loss (yet).
The drive causes the highpoint controller to 'chime' an error tone - anyone
know if it is specific to the error type being encountered? Three 'warbles'
like a phone ring.

I will rebuild the array when the replacement drive arrives later this week.
Life of the drive - 6 months.

thlink.net...

Old July 1st 03, 11:10 PM
Hoonoze

"mbarbet" wrote in message
Hi!

I am shopping for an 80GB hard drive but could not decide between

Western
Digital WD800JB and Maxtor 6Y080P0. Both have 8MB cache and cost

about the
same. Which one is quieter and cooler? Are there any other

brands/models
should I consider to? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I've had MANY more problems with Maxtors than Western
Digitals in the past, and will no longer use the former.

Old July 2nd 03, 01:43 AM
Kathy B.

"mbarbet" wrote in message
I am shopping for an 80GB hard drive but could not decide between Western
Digital WD800JB and Maxtor 6Y080P0. Both have 8MB cache and cost about

the
same. Which one is quieter and cooler? Are there any other brands/models
should I consider to? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Neither! Go with Seagate's Barracuda ATA IV (ST380021A). It is 80GB and
claims to have:

- Best combination of performance, acoustics and robustness
- 3D Defense System to protect users' data and increase reliability
- 2.4 bels idle acoustics- the industry's best
- DiscWizard software for easy installation
- Best-in-class nonoperating shock for excellent reliability

No, I don't work for Seagate. But I intend to buy one of those. If anyone
thinks why I shouldn't choose the Barracuda ATA IV, let me know WHY.

K.

Old July 2nd 03, 02:10 AM
WooduCoodu

doesn't mean anything without knowing what other potential noise makers you
may have in that system. if quiet is a big concern WD is not a good choice.

www.silentpcreview.com

thlink.net...

Old July 2nd 03, 02:11 AM
WooduCoodu

the barracuda IVs are quiet and reliable but they don't have very good
performance compared to other drives.

"Kathy B." wrote in message
et...

Old July 2nd 03, 02:13 AM
Papa

To be more specific, my system is quiet - period. If the WD was noisy, I'd
hear it.

On the other hand, if it IS noisy, but I don't hear it - I don't care. ;)

"WooduCoodu" wrote in message
doesn't mean anything without knowing what other potential noise makers

you
may have in that system. if quiet is a big concern WD is not a good

choice.

www.silentpcreview.com

thlink.net...

"mbarbet" wrote in message
Hi!

I am shopping for an 80GB hard drive but could not decide between

Western
Digital WD800JB and Maxtor 6Y080P0. Both have 8MB cache and cost

about
the
same. Which one is quieter and cooler? Are there any other

brands/models
should I consider to? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Western Digital WD2500JB problems Kev Sparrow General 3 July 26th 04 07:16 AM
Western Digital SATA WD800JD and Windows 98? Machine Messiah General 6 May 19th 04 05:04 AM
Western Digital 2000 BeeFarmer General 9 April 30th 04 08:58 PM
Adaptec vs. Western Digital. Who is DEGRADED? Who is FOS? Brian General 0 January 13th 04 05:16 PM
Western Digital, Maxtor or Seagate @drian General 25 October 20th 03 06:24 PM