Old Inspiron 1200 replacement HD?

Old July 10th 09, 02:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

Default Old Inspiron 1200 replacement HD?

The Inspiron 1200 order sheet shows
1 341-2017 30GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive, forInspiron 1200 $0.00

I'd like to replace with something bigger, but what do I order?

Saving the old HD in case things don't work out.

Old July 10th 09, 03:01 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh[_2_]

Hi!

I'd like to replace with something bigger, but what do I order?

Use a 2.5" PATA hard drive. Capacities up to 320GB are available.
(However, I do not know if the Insp1200 might have a 48-bit LBA limit.
It shouldn't, but my LatD800 does.)

William
Old July 10th 09, 03:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
John Novicki Jr

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message
The Inspiron 1200 order sheet shows
1 341-2017 30GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive, forInspiron 1200
$0.00

I'd like to replace with something bigger, but what do I order?

Saving the old HD in case things don't work out.

That model would accept just about any PATA drive. 120GB and larger models
are cheap now, and I would probably stick to 120GB based on the age of the
system.

Old July 10th 09, 06:52 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
vbDavidC[_2_]

What OS are you using?

I posted a msg about my Dell D600 2 or 3 weeks ago if there were any
limitations. If you have Windows XP and I believe SP2 (could be SP1)
but not the original XP (without SP) they support larger drives. The
confusing part is that your BIOS may only see a certain portion of
your hard drive but if you have a recent version of XP or later you
should be in good shape.

If you are interested you should be able to find the post: max size
hard drive (or partition) for Latitude D600 (started June 8-2009)

I use Google groups which allows me to search.

I would think you could get an inexpensive PATA drive for $40-$70 from
Newegg.com for something from 160-500GB. I did not upgrade my hard
drive yet so maybe you should stick with a lower capacity drive that
has been mentioned.
Old July 26th 09, 03:00 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
vbDavidC[_2_]

I finally got a new 320GB PATA (IDE) drive and it all works great.

I installed Windows XP in my first partition (45GB), windows 7 in my
second partition (20GB), and a 200GB data partition). I could have
made any of the partitions any size but decided on those sizes just
based on leaving as much for my data partition as possible. I am also
using VirtualBox which works great with no problem. I copied my old
hard drive to my new hard drive with Acronis Home v10 (which is not
the latest) and it all worked and it saw the whole drive. I tried a
couple of other utilities (GParted, and BartPE) and they had no
problems.

David