Question about ATX

Old November 18th 04, 01:18 PM

Default Question about ATX

I have an ATX case/PSU and want to buy a MOBO for it.
I notice that some MOBOs specify 'ATX' form factor and some
specify 'Mini or Micro-ATX' form factor.
Will all these fit my case, or should I be careful here and do some
measuring against size specs, assuming there are any?

Thanks
Old November 18th 04, 02:13 PM

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 14:01:22 GMT, "
wrote:

I asked the same thing and people seem to say its pretty standard .
And the two micros I bought did fit in the cases I tried them on so it
seems like a relatively universal standard. I was worried that it
might not be a 100% universal standard and that maybe the cases I had
might not have the holes in the right place but they worked on the
cases I had so I assume its a pretty common thing.

The thing I dont like about micros are they generally have 3 slots.
Not that you need a whole lot nowadays since everyone builds
everything in and most people dont need THAT many but you might want
to think about it if you get a micro.

Modem
Firewire card/USB card
TV tuner
Sata card if you dont have sata

3 slots can produce limitations down the road. Good point!
Thanks

Old November 18th 04, 07:59 PM

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 19:10:10 GMT, kony wrote:

mATX mobos will fit in a full ATX case. Check whether your
power supply is ATX2.03 (has 4-pin 12V connector), as some
boards (most modern boards) require this.

It does

Thanks

Old November 19th 04, 03:35 AM

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:18:41 GMT, wrote:

I have an ATX case/PSU and want to buy a MOBO for it.
I notice that some MOBOs specify 'ATX' form factor and some
specify 'Mini or Micro-ATX' form factor.
Will all these fit my case, or should I be careful here and do some
measuring against size specs, assuming there are any?

Thanks

mATX mobos will fit in a full ATX case. Check whether your
power supply is ATX2.03 (has 4-pin 12V connector), as some
boards (most modern boards) require this.

Talking about cases --- maybe we are too sensitive about the new light
flimsy case trend. I keep reading reviews at Newegg and not one person
complained about the Antec 2600 I bought that I thought sucked big
time. And I see they have a 3700 out now and people are calling that
super robust and sturdy !! Frankly I wasnt that crazy about the whole
layout on that case but then it was mainly due to the basic small size
fo the case, lack of height.

Its like no one even notices theyve changed the way they make cases at
all since the 90s! I bring that up and its like HUHH ? What are you
talking about???? They drastically changed cases since the 90s ????

I have 3 of the older style beige boxes still around and they are like
bricks compared to even my relatively sturdy full tower Antec.When I
first bought the Antec 2600 I was actually shocked at how light and
thin the panels were right off the bat. Yet you dont see anyone
talking about it . And you see people calling the barely acceptable
Antecs as incredibly sturdy and strong ! Its like they were born in
2000-2003 or something.

Old November 19th 04, 06:59 AM
kony

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 03:35:41 GMT, "
wrote:

[...]

Well a lot of then might be kids that have never seen a
thick-walled, solid/sturdy case. I could stack two cases
atop each other and stand on them myself, but these days?
Pick one up too quickly and you can feel the thing sway
sideways a bit.

Then again, I also see reviews for really, really bad
equipment that couldn't possibly be viewed as good compared
to (anything, any possible alternative product) so I suspect
a lot of the praise is from either first-time buyers or
someone in the manufacturing-distribution chain who profits
from positive reviews.

Its like no one even notices theyve changed the way they make cases at
all since the 90s! I bring that up and its like HUHH ? What are you
talking about???? They drastically changed cases since the 90s ????

I have 3 of the older style beige boxes still around and they are like
bricks compared to even my relatively sturdy full tower Antec.When I
first bought the Antec 2600 I was actually shocked at how light and
thin the panels were right off the bat. Yet you dont see anyone
talking about it . And you see people calling the barely acceptable
Antecs as incredibly sturdy and strong ! Its like they were born in
2000-2003 or something.

Yep it's a shame. The real shame is that the era of thick
cases didn't overlap the start of ATX for longer than it
did, else I'd have kept a few dozen more cases than I did
(maybe that's good thing though, they sure take up a lot of
room?).

For example I have 3 versions of an Enlight 7270(?) here,
each manufacturered a few years apart. The first version
has an outer shell that comprises both side panels and the
top. The second version has removable side panels and a
fixed top. The third version is like the second except USB
in front and they made the metal thinner, dropped it down to
..8mm. I'll end up getting rid of the newest one before the
other two. Even so, the newer Enlight is really sturdy
compared to something like a Raidmax.

Old November 20th 04, 08:32 AM
larrymoencurly

kony wrote in message . ..

The real shame is that the era of thick cases didn't overlap
the start of ATX for longer than it did, else I'd have kept
a few dozen more cases than I did

I have an AT tower with two 0.5" diameter machined and threaded
chromed steel rods running from front to back for reinforcement. I've
never seen anything that expensive in an ATX case.

One nice thing about those heavier cases was that it was much harder
to strip screw holes. I've had to solder nuts with lock washers when
this has happened with newer cases.

Cable Modem Question Dan Rather General 1 October 10th 06 12:12 PM
Printer question! Alon Brodski General 3 May 10th 04 05:13 AM
newbie question about dvd-r/cd-r harrypotter General 11 January 11th 04 03:52 AM
Memory Question - outcome of exceeding the memory limits of a machine. John B. General 4 November 4th 03 12:25 PM
Question about LCD and CRT monitors (Samsung variety) Aaron Chan General 3 October 7th 03 02:04 PM