Problem saving screen profile file.

Old August 9th 15, 05:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Eric Stevens

Default Problem saving screen profile file.

I have a Dell XPS 8300 fitted with an i7. I am running Windows 7/64
bit which as far as I know is fully updated. Certainly it is service
pack 1. My major use of the machine is processing photographic images.

For may years I have been keeping my screen profiles calibrated using
the DataColor Spyder. I used the Spyder 4 Pro quite succesfully for a
long time, until about mid June this year I found that every time I
tried to save the profile after a new calibration I received the
single-line message

"SaveProfileUsingCM.DeleteFile failed
[C:Windows\System32\Spool\drivers\color\name.icm"

Where name is the chosen name of the profile.

About a month ago I installed a Spyder 5 Pro, and I still have the
same problem. I have been in touch with DataColor but so far they have
not been able to come up with anything that helps.

Today I have spent several hours experimenting with all kinds of
possible variables but none of my trials have enabled me to save a
profile. I always end up with the failure message. About all I have
not done is invoke the command "net user administrator /active:yes"

Changing the name of the profile has no effect. I have tried some
ridiculous names and it is not likely that they all are under use by
other software so a conflict or trying to delete a file that is
already in use does not seem to be the explanation.

I have disabled the relevant parts of my McAfee anti-virus software.

I have explored file permissions and changed those of my original
profile to include me as administrator.

I have followed the Datacolor instructions for completely deleting all
traces of Spyder, including removing all profiles associated with my
monitors from the Windows color manager. I then reinstalled Spyder.

I have installed and run Spyder 5 Pro immediately after creating an
entirely new user with administrator privileges and virtually no
startup software.

None of these things have had any effect.

I first encountered this problem in mid June whhen I was still using
Spyder 4 Pro. The problem has continued with Spyder 5 Pro. This
suggests that it arises from a body of code which is common to both
Spyder 4 and Spyder 5. Unfortunately I don't know enough to suggest
what it might be.

I have used Spyder products for many years without any problems,
including Spyder 4. It is likely that the problem arises from a change
made by other software. I have all sorts of software which updates
itself automatically and it is possible that the problem arises from
one of these. The only software I have which might want to take over
part of the color management is iTunes, Adobe CC and Windows.

It is possible that iTunes may have updated in the month before the
problem started, but I don't really know. I don't think it will be
Adobe CC as, as far as I can remember, there had been no updates for
some months until the arrival of CC 2015 about a week ago. Finally,
there is Windows. Windows updates almost very Thursday and sometimes
on days in between. If any outside software is likely to have
triggered this problem, Windows would be my chief suspect.

Finally, there is the Microsoft Community post at
http://tinyurl.com/nsrqlaa. This suggests that I am not alone with
this problem. I was interested to note that the writer was using a
Dell XPS laptop. I am using a Dell XPS 8300 desk top. Is this a
coincidence? I've had no changes or updates as far as I know.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old August 9th 15, 06:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Savageduck

On 2015-08-09 04:46:37 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

[...]

I am not going to stick my nose into this tent, as you know I am not
running Windows, so my advice would probably be questionable at best.
I have not experienced any issues saving profiles generated using my
now discontinued Pantone hueyPro which still works just fine with the
X-Rite software and OSX 10.10.4. When that fails I might consider a
replacement colorimeter.
--
Regards,

Savageduck

Old August 9th 15, 06:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Savageduck

On 2015-08-09 04:46:37 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

[...]

There is no reason for iTunes to access color management. I cannot
speak for how Windows executes profiles for monitor/display color
management.
Adobe is going to be dependant on your OS profile setting.

It is possible that iTunes may have updated in the month before the
problem started, but I don't really know. I don't think it will be
Adobe CC as, as far as I can remember, there had been no updates for
some months until the arrival of CC 2015 about a week ago.

The CC 2015 update was on July 31. Since then there were multiple
issues with PS CC 2015 which were addressed by another fix update on
August 5. Check and see if you have that update installed.

Old August 9th 15, 10:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 8 Aug 2015 22:07:20 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

I am not going to stick my nose into this tent, as you know I am not
running Windows, so my advice would probably be questionable at best.
I have not experienced any issues saving profiles generated using my
now discontinued Pantone hueyPro which still works just fine with the
X-Rite software and OSX 10.10.4. When that fails I might consider a
replacement colorimeter.

I don't think the problem is anything to do with the colorimeter.
Something new has clashed with the software.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old August 9th 15, 10:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 8 Aug 2015 22:42:19 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

There is no reason for iTunes to access color management. I cannot
speak for how Windows executes profiles for monitor/display color
management.

Dammit. I meant Quicktime.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old August 9th 15, 10:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Savageduck

wrote:

There is no reason for iTunes to access color management. I cannot
speak for how Windows executes profiles for monitor/display color
management.

Dammit. I meant Quicktime.

Why would QT need to access color management? The OS, be it Win or OSX
is going to handle that for QT.

Have you installed any fresh printer drivers?

....and after the July 31 PS update, did you install the PS CC 2015 fix
made available on August 5?

--
Regards,

Savageduck

Old August 9th 15, 12:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

Maybe some service has it open. Try in safe mode,
just to limit what starts up.

Old August 9th 15, 12:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

Ron Hardin wrote:

Maybe some service has it open. Try in safe mode,
just to limit what starts up.

Also Process Explorer I think can tell you who has a file open.

Old August 9th 15, 01:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Alan Browne

On 2015-08-09 05:26, Eric Stevens wrote:

I don't think the problem is anything to do with the colorimeter.
Something new has clashed with the software.

Some people often have problems with clashing colours, so no surprise.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/w...ement-settings

Can't find a Win 10 guide, but the above may lead you into the
appropriate rabbit hole.

Obligatory snide and superior Mac comment follows. If you MS users
don't feel like being humiliated (again) you may stop reading here.

On a Mac you would just open SysPrefs - display - color and select the
profile of interest (or calibrate from there). You could also use your
colour calibration widget and its s/w would save the new profile which
in turn would be accessible as above (or set it itself).

Old August 9th 15, 02:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Mayayana

SaveProfileUsingICM
It doesn't help if you spell the function name wrong.

I'm not an expert on this, but for what it's worth:

1) It seems to be trying to delete an old copy
and running into a bug in the software.
Maybe a dummy file of the same name would
satisfy that.

2) Could the ICM file be saved elsewhere and then
just copied into the folder?

3) Presumably you have a 64-bit version of the
software? 32-bit that's 64-bit-unaware might
try to save to System32 and fail. (Against all
common sense, System32 is the 64-bit folder
on Win64.)

4) If you think permissions are the issue you can
"take ownership" of the folder and then give
yourself permission. And/or start the program
with elevated permissions. (right click option)

"net user administrator /active:yes" only makes
the real admin account visible at boot. You would
then need to log in with that account to be a real
admin.
I quickly got fed up with that convoluted nonsense
when I started to work with Win7 and ended up
writing a simple program to *really* free up any
file/folder:
http://www.jsware.net/jsware/nt6fix.php5#restfix

It's free. You're welcome to it. If you're queasy about
3rd-party software look up CACLS and Takeown. Those
are command line options that can do the same thing
my software does -- just with more work. I *think*
the same can be done manually but the restrictions
mess is so convoluted I've never been able to quite
figure that out for certain.

I wonder about permissions if the software used to
work. On the other hand, if you're enabling Windows
Update without carefully checking exactly what each
patch is doing then all bets are off.

It seems very odd that the people writing the software
have no ideas, but that may be a case for a 3rd-party
factor. Those things can be very hard to track down
because they're unexpected by nature. Though I suppose
you could try killing any process related to Adobe, printer,
etc before you do the operation. That wouldn't hurt.

Ron Hardin's idea of Process Explorer (sysinternals.com)
is good in general, though if you're trying to write a
file that doesn't exist it can hardly be locked by another
process.

Saving files to CD and retaining original file dates Dolphin~Smile Cdr 5 November 22nd 07 05:38 PM
Saving Overscan and Screen Adjustments between Resolution changes. Paul Mathews Nvidia Videocards 0 November 18th 06 10:04 PM
Saving Overscan and Screen Positions how ? Home Theatre Guy Nvidia Videocards 0 June 8th 06 04:42 PM
Saving a Bios file EB Dell Computers 1 January 11th 05 10:57 PM
Gateway Profile 2 screen JW Gateway Computers 1 October 25th 04 09:18 PM