3 choices, only 1 is right for me

Old August 23rd 17, 05:50 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Paul[_28_]

Default 3 choices, only 1 is right for me

micky wrote:
Sorry this is so complicated but none of the amazon or ebay ads seem to
give total infomration. So the isssue is not about price but about
which will work with:HSPA/UMTS – 850/1900/2100 MHz (They all work with
win7.)

This one has the frequencies (bands) I want (Tri-band HSPA/UMTS –
850/1900/2100 MHz ), but it doesn't mention the Dell Latitude e4300, my
computer. It only says
"Compatibility: Dell Precision Mobile WorkStation M2400 M4400 M6400, and
M6500"
https://www.amazon.com/Gobi1000-Wire.../dp/B00LIRZ8KG

OTOH, this one says it fits my model the e4300, but it doesn't say what
frequenciese or bands it has. However it says it fits:
Dell Latitude E4200, E4300, whis mine, and 3 other Latitudes. and
Dell Precision Mobile WorkStation M2400, M4400, M6400 which are 3 of
the 4 computers above.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Wireles....c100005.m1851

So if the second one fits both mine and also 3 of the 4 computers that
the first one fits, does it follow that the first one will fit my
computer too and since it has the right frequencies, that's the one to
buy? Or no? Maybe the Latitude computers which came out in August 2008
didn't exist when th N2400,m4400 adn m6400 were released, which was...
also August 2008**, but maybe the documentation doesn't mention
Latitudes anyhow, eve though it fits them too? **Older than I thought,
but works quite well so far. She didn't have any other small ones
iirc.

The second one above is a Dell 5530, but it also an Ericson F3507G.
This page says Ericsson F3507G has UMTS frequency bands:850,1900,2100
http://www.3g-modem-wiki.com/page/Ericsson+F3507G

The 5530 below is new, is being shipped from the USA, and I would expect
it to have the same 5530 values as the others, but it says in the
Frequency Band 2.300 to 2.500 GHz
DOES THAT NOT MEAN IT WON'T have all three frequencies that I want
850/1900 and 2100 MHz?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unlocked-Del....c100005.m1851

If you can help me make sense of this muddle, it will be appreciated.

Part 2: What does "dashboard" mean here?

Dashboard
Since Ericsson supplies this card only as OEM-product, there's no
unbranded dashboard available. However an unbranded dashboard (at least
not branded by an operator) can be downloaded from Dell:
version 5.2.1045.43 A00 download here (the link is no good now.)

http://www.dell.com/downloads/ap/pro...table_sgmy.pdf

Mobile Broadband & GPS: Dell Wireless 5720 (EvDO & GPS) MobileBroadband mini card,
Dell Wireless 5530 (Tri-band HSDPA 7.2/HSUPA2.0 & GPS) Mini-Card

The installer enforces usage with a particular set of laptop models.
So when they say 5530 works with model list, they really mean it.
This individual hacks the installer, to do his bidding.

https://www.remkoweijnen.nl/blog/201...hspa-mini-pci/

The card is also for AT&T customers. Apparently there is a different
card for Vodaphone. You'd need to get a SIM card from AT&T ?

https://www.cnet.com/news/dell-adamo...ative-with-3g/

Would AT&T tech support be willing to help ?
Maybe their people know more about the "lockin" involved with this stuff.

The dashboard is just some sort of control panel with
connection info and other statistics.

*******

But surely you'd want 4G "Americas largest 4G Network"...
Good things come in large packages.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...l-pictures.jpg

Paul
Old August 23rd 17, 09:34 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
micky

In alt.windows7.general, on Wed, 23 Aug 2017 00:50:24 -0400, Paul
wrote:

micky wrote:
[...]

I can't find any cell phone provider that works in this band in 2G or 3G

Since it actually lists the 5530 in the pdf file you found, I guess I
will buy this, but maybe I can find one without the line just above that
limits the band to 2300 to 2500. Or maybe the line just above is
inaccurate.

DOES THAT NOT MEAN IT WON'T have all three frequencies that I want
850/1900 and 2100 MHz?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unlocked-Del....c100005.m1851

It says it works with my computer, but doesn't say it works with AT&T.

If you can help me make sense of this muddle, it will be appreciated.

http://www.dell.com/downloads/ap/pro...table_sgmy.pdf

Thank you for this. I'd found the owners manuals** but I didn't find
this brochure, the sort of thing they use to make you want to buy it, so
it also works to make me happy I bought it.

**(which FTR don't cover any of that optional hardware, the fingerprint
sensor, smart card sensor, ON quick email retrieval, which is okay since
I have no use for those anyhow.)

Mobile Broadband & GPS: Dell Wireless 5720 (EvDO & GPS) MobileBroadband mini card,
Dell Wireless 5530 (Tri-band HSDPA 7.2/HSUPA2.0 & GPS) Mini-Card

This is verrry good. It lists the 5530 and "tri-band" which I'm going
to assume refers to the same 3 frequencies the card listed first above
calls tri-band and itemizes as the 3 I want.

Also today I found the driver for the 5530, the "dashboard", and a
firmware update, though I doubt I would use that.

The installer enforces usage with a particular set of laptop models.
So when they say 5530 works with model list, they really mean it.

And when they say the Gobi1000 only works with those 3 models, you're
saying they really mean that too. So I can't buy that first one, which
lists the bands I want, but not the model computer I have. Okay.

I see what you mean, "The problem is that the installer checks if the
combination of the Mini PCI card and the laptop is authorized by Dell. "

This individual hacks the installer, to do his bidding.

https://www.remkoweijnen.nl/blog/201...hspa-mini-pci/

Hmmm. He also says, "The card was installed in a few minutes since the
antenna cables were present already and on my laptop I only needed to
remove the backcover with just one screw." I have to have antenna
cables? The WWAN is right next to the WLAN card and it has two wires
connected to it, but I don't see any for the WWAN. Maybe I should buy
the used card for $10, but it's coming from China.

They have sold 600 and still have 200. How do you think the Chinese
could come up with 800 identical used WWAN cards. Even in the US that
would be a lot, but surely they weren't all shipped from the US back to
China?

I found the page above before and even bookmarked it, but at the time I
attached no special significance to 5530. I think thhen I was looking
at cards that were only $5, but then noticed they were only CDMA. I
wanted GSM or better yet UMTS/HSPA (I'm not going to look for 4G. I
did find one but it was $48 plus shipping, and I doubt it would work.
Not designed for this laptop. )

I'm only a modest user. On my last trip when I wasn't at the room I
rented, my laptop had no cellular data, and the phone only had 2G
because I'd bought the wrong phone, so I would park outside a hotel,
bank, or cafe, and use its wifi just in one case to look up what time in
the morning something opened. That only required dl'ing one google
search and one or two pages. Or a satellite view of one small area,
which required just one download plus whatever data it took to position
the map the way it needed to be.

Or 90 minutes of a skype phone call (no video). I wonder how much data
that would take if I weren't stealing someone's wifi.

I just want this because it's cool.

The card is also for AT&T customers. Apparently there is a different
card for Vodaphone.

I've heard of Vodaphone but I don't know what it is. It sounds very
1950's, like Mixmaster or Ironrite.

You'd need to get a SIM card from AT&T ?

Yes, From AT&T or someone. there's a slot under the battery for the SIM
card.
Old August 23rd 17, 09:46 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
micky

wrote:

http://www.dell.com/downloads/ap/pro...table_sgmy.pdf

Mobile Broadband & GPS: Dell Wireless 5720 (EvDO & GPS) MobileBroadband mini card,
Dell Wireless 5530 (Tri-band HSDPA 7.2/HSUPA2.0 & GPS) Mini-Card

They sell WWAN antenna kits, probably with directions.

how to make a laptop wwan antenna
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...w=1680&bih=834

1 Pair Universal Laptop Mini PCI-E Wireless Wifi Internal Antenna ipx
ipex u.fl antenna Wlan WWAN EVDO HSDPA HSDPA GSM 3G Wimax. One pair for
only $2.80, Wires are about 27 inches.

How to Install a WWAN Antenna into a Panasonic Toughbook CF-30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ovVwOrpnSA
He takes the whole thing apart, back, keyboard, other stuff, so far 40
screwss. It takes him 16 minutes and he's going gangbusters. so for
me it's an hour but since I've never done it it's 2 or 3 hours.
Old August 23rd 17, 11:38 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Java Jive[_2_]

On Wed, 23 Aug 2017 00:50:24 -0400, Paul
wrote:

micky wrote:

Didn't respond to your posts as I didn't see them directly, perhaps
I've plonked you in the past. Be that as it may, as it happens I've
just been through all this with a used Dell Precision M4300, and FWIW
my advice is not to bother, and just get an appropriate 4G USB dongle
instead ...

First, was the laptop built for the UK, the US, or elsewhere, and are
you still in the same country? Don't buy a card built for a laptop
from another country - IME, just doesn't work.

Second, ensure you can get Dell drivers for it, that is genuine Dell
from the Dell site. Even though they are buying in external hardware
from OEM chip firms such as Sierra, Dell and some other manufacturers
implement their own hardware IDs, and other drivers, even from the OEM
manufacturer, may not work as expected.

Third, ensure that the PCB connector fitting is the same. The laptop
PCB probably expects a Mini PCI-E Express, while some modern cards
have M2 fittings - confusingly described as M.2 PCIe but this is not
the same, worse there are several variants in the M2 standard with the
number and positions of the gaps in the connectors being different.
Get it wrong, and you'll end up having to buy an adaptor cradle.

Fourth, ensure that the aerial connections are the same. This is an
equally confusing area, as the fittings are very small, and those that
I would call male and female respectively, based on their actual
shape, are often referred to by the opposite terms in much, perhaps
most, of the product technical literature. Even worse, there are at
least two different sizes in use, and the difference between them is
not obvious unless and until you see them side by side under a
magnifying glass, let alone from photos, and the actual fitting size
may not even be included in technical product data.

The aerials in the lid of a Precision M4300 are IPX U.FL while those
on, say, a Sierra EM73xx are MHF4.

The connections are so small that even if you are certain that you
have the right ones, I would advise wearing watchmaker-style
magnifying glasses to make the connections, otherwise you could end up
damaging one or other or both.

Even if you get all this right, it still may not work.

A minefield, stay clear.

As for your other questions, I disagree with other advice you have
received. While there is certainly merit in the attitude "If it ain't
broke, don't fix it", especially if starting out with a new build, as
far as hardware is concerned install the latest drivers from the
manufacturer's site. The likely problems a

! What order is best to install them - Dell's site commonly has
advice on that.

! Their site is not very good at displaying ALL the drivers that may
be required, even when you enter the Service Tag, you may still have
to search to find some of them.
Old August 25th 17, 03:16 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
micky

In alt.windows7.general, on Wed, 23 Aug 2017 11:38:50 +0100, Java Jive
wrote:

On Wed, 23 Aug 2017 00:50:24 -0400, Paul
wrote:

micky wrote:

Thanks for a great answer.

Didn't respond to your posts as I didn't see them directly, perhaps
I've plonked you in the past. Be that as it may, as it happens I've
just been through all this with a used Dell Precision M4300, and FWIW

That was one of the ones that both of the first two cards fit.

my advice is not to bother, and just get an appropriate 4G USB dongle
instead ...

You convinced me. I see that one says the internal antenna is enough
and another one of them in a question says it can take an external
antenna. Is that usually worth it?

One has a slot for an SD card, but it seems to me, everything can be
stored on the laptop, which also has an SD slot.

The rest is just fyi, since you've convinced me.

First, was the laptop built for the UK, the US, or elsewhere, and are
you still in the same country? Don't buy a card built for a laptop
from another country - IME, just doesn't work.

Laptop probably built in the US but I haven't looked. How they can have
eight hundred used 5530 cards in China, I don't know, but if they are r
really second-hand, I suspect none have ever been to the US.

Second, ensure you can get Dell drivers for it, that is genuine Dell
from the Dell site. Even though they are buying in external hardware
from OEM chip firms such as Sierra, Dell and some other manufacturers
implement their own hardware IDs, and other drivers, even from the OEM
manufacturer, may not work as expected.

I found Dell driver and dashboard for both the 5530 and 5600.

Third, ensure that the PCB connector fitting is the same. The laptop
PCB probably expects a Mini PCI-E Express, while some modern cards
have M2 fittings - confusingly described as M.2 PCIe but this is not
the same, worse there are several variants in the M2 standard with the
number and positions of the gaps in the connectors being different.
Get it wrong, and you'll end up having to buy an adaptor cradle.

I did notice that two similar cards did't have the same numbers of gold
fingers. I tried to count the positions in my sockets but I should have
more light and a pointer. Nonetheless, 5530's are said to be
compatible.

Fourth, ensure that the aerial connections are the same. This is an
equally confusing area, as the fittings are very small, and those that
I would call male and female respectively, based on their actual
shape, are often referred to by the opposite terms in much, perhaps
most, of the product technical literature. Even worse, there are at
least two different sizes in use, and the difference between them is
not obvious unless and until you see them side by side under a
magnifying glass, let alone from photos, and the actual fitting size
may not even be included in technical product data.

Wow.

The aerials in the lid of a Precision M4300 are IPX U.FL while those
on, say, a Sierra EM73xx are MHF4.

Wow. How could I ever know that without you.

The connections are so small that even if you are certain that you
have the right ones, I would advise wearing watchmaker-style
magnifying glasses to make the connections, otherwise you could end up
damaging one or other or both.

Wow.

Even if you get all this right, it still may not work.

LOL

A minefield, stay clear.

I'm convinced. And I can transfer it from one laptop to the next.

As for your other questions, I disagree with other advice you have
received. While there is certainly merit in the attitude "If it ain't
broke, don't fix it", especially if starting out with a new build, as
far as hardware is concerned install the latest drivers from the
manufacturer's site. The likely problems a

! What order is best to install them - Dell's site commonly has
advice on that.

I'll look. I haven't used the laptop much. Still have to install my
software. Maybe when I use it I'll find something lacking.

! Their site is not very good at displaying ALL the drivers that may
be required, even when you enter the Service Tag, you may still have
to search to find some of them.

I think I noticed that.

Thanks. I almost ordered one fo them today (yesterday. I was sick last
night) but was busy with other stuff. You've saved me.

New laptop, choices, choices Tom Scales Dell Computers 16 August 22nd 07 02:19 AM
A7v 333 CPU choices? HaGGar Asus Motherboards 3 April 13th 07 10:38 PM
CPU Choices ET Asus Motherboards 5 August 19th 06 07:55 PM
LCD choices for CAD Jimmy General 0 September 3rd 05 02:42 PM
Choices choices choices........ Rob G Ati Videocards 2 June 29th 05 04:35 AM