Windows REinstallation failed because of drive failure. Drive's diagnostic is fine!

Old August 17th 04, 11:40 PM
Mathieu Leplatre

Default Windows REinstallation failed because of drive failure. Drive's diagnostic is fine!

While I was surfing on the Internet, I was suddenly confronted with a
blue-screen...approximately saying that I had to reboot and execute
the 'CHKDSK /F' command...
While rebooting, the computer froze on another blue-screen...fatal
this time, because I couldn't even do anything except reboot.

I tried to reinstall Windows XP (with the same original microsoft CD
as the previous installation...). It claimed that it wasn't able to
format the partition, saying the drive may be damaged.

I downloaded the Maxtor tool "Powermax" (the hard drive's brand is
Maxtor) and ran all tests available. They all said
"Congratulations!Your drive is certified error free."
I tried to format the partition with my other Linux PC, without
getting any errors.

I also did a low level format (still with the Powermax tool). Then,
during Windows installation, same error !

the partition format still failed!

I formatted the partition with NTFS file system from an other PC. Then
I tried an installation without

formatting. The Windows files were copied successfully, but after the
first installation reboot, I was stuck in

front of a black screen...couldn't do anything!

This is driving me crazy ! The PC had worked very very well for 7
months...had always been protected against

viruses (I think so...). And I definitely have to install Windows XP
(my parents are unfortunately used to it

)

Please share your ideas or suggestions, I really need help !

Mathieu
Old August 18th 04, 12:24 AM
Malke

Mathieu Leplatre wrote:

[...]

Since you know your hard drive is fine, do a RAM test. I like Memtest86
from www.memtest86.com. Let the test run for a long time, unless you
get errors right away. If you get errors, replace the RAM.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers
Old August 19th 04, 01:08 AM
Mathieu Leplatre

Malke wrote in message ...

Since you know your hard drive is fine, do a RAM test. I like Memtest86
from www.memtest86.com. Let the test run for a long time, unless you
get errors right away. If you get errors, replace the RAM.

Malke

I performed a 7 hours Memory test (Memtest-86 3.1), 27 passes, without
getting any errors...
Is this test reliable or can still my memory be weakening ?
That's a pity, I don't have any other RAM to install with (the slots
aren't compatible)
Have you already heard of that kind of problems ?

Old August 19th 04, 02:25 AM
Eric Gisin

Try Microsoft's memory tester, I found errors that memtest didn't.
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

"Mathieu Leplatre" wrote in message
om...

Old August 19th 04, 01:46 PM
Mathieu Leplatre

"Eric Gisin" wrote in message ...
Try Microsoft's memory tester, I found errors that memtest didn't.
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Thanks,
I launched this Windows Memory Diagnostic. The 6 standard tests were
performed 4 times and the 11 extended tests 3 times. No errors have
been found.

I don't know what to do ! Something definitely went wrong, because 7
months ago I could easily install it...and I haven't done any changes
on hardware. No scratches on installation CD neither.

Still any ideas ?

Greetings