"new" super 7 socket motherboards still in production?

Old February 19th 05, 07:50 PM
newbietuesday

Default "new" super 7 socket motherboards still in production?

I remember reading somewhere that (I'm thinking some asian company) is
still manufacturing boards for super 7 socket chips. They are new boards
that max out the capabilities of these old chips. Support max RAM,
highest FSB, etc. However, I can't find any info online. Any ideas?

Old February 20th 05, 06:19 AM
philo

"newbietuesday" wrote in message
lkaboutcomputing.com...
I remember reading somewhere that (I'm thinking some asian company) is
still manufacturing boards for super 7 socket chips. They are new boards
that max out the capabilities of these old chips. Support max RAM,
highest FSB, etc. However, I can't find any info online. Any ideas?

here is one link
but they look expensive

Old February 25th 05, 09:41 PM
kony

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 15:20:53 -0500, "newbietuesday"
wrote:

..but those are not in production anymore either!

Anyway, I still have an abundance of AMD-K6's and old DIMMs, and old video
cards lying about.

I hate to toss them, so I was going to make a testbench from a new mobo w/
decent BIOS, learn a thing or two about hardware tweaking.

Mebe make a linux learning lab too...

500, 550 Mhz is perfect for a lot of simple applications, including
surfing.

What makes you think a socket 7 board would have any
relevent "new" features or a decent bios? Mostly, if
anything, they'd simply have new components which for most
cases means nothing useful except those that age over time
like the battery and capacitors.

I'd also expect that they're premium priced... might be
worthwhile to check a few local computer shops as they might
have socket 7 boards practically free. (Super) Socket 7 was
picky about things like AGP video cards though, whether it
is a good testbed or likely to work well with other parts is
subject to trial and error. If nothing else a web search
should find old products, or there's always ebay.
Old February 25th 05, 10:21 PM
philo

"newbietuesday" wrote in message
lkaboutcomputing.com...
..but those are not in production anymore either!

Anyway, I still have an abundance of AMD-K6's and old DIMMs, and old video
cards lying about.

I hate to toss them, so I was going to make a testbench from a new mobo w/
decent BIOS, learn a thing or two about hardware tweaking.

Mebe make a linux learning lab too...

500, 550 Mhz is perfect for a lot of simple applications, including
surfing.

I'd steer clean of anything that;s PC Chips!!!
that's about the only brand of mobo that i;ve had real problems with.
however if you can pick up a super socket7 mobo cheap on ebay...go for it...

over the last few years i bet i've taken at least 40 or more 386 and 486's
and popped a super7 mobo in them
and made quite useful machines...(most were amd-333 to 450's but i kept an
amd-550
for myself which i built in an old gateway 486-33 tower)
since i do a lot of parts trading... the average cost was about $3.00 each
total
using all surplus parts...
i gave most of them away on freecycle
but some of the people paid me a few dollars...
so basically my "hobby" is costing me nothing