Suggestions on upgrading this PC

Old June 23rd 03, 04:56 PM
Joshua Klehm

Default Suggestions on upgrading this PC

You can upgrade to a K6/3 500 for about 30 bucks, upgrade the RAM for a
song, and add as much hard drive as you want.

--
I believe in having an open mind,
but not so open that my brains fall out.
"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
You have nothing to upgrade. If you have to ask what you can do with it ,
then you will spend more on old used parts than you can get some new stuff
for.

"Louie T Lizard" wrote in message
. ..
Yes, it's old, just want to see what I could do with it.

AIDA32 (c) 1995-2003 Unlimited Possibilities

Version AIDA32 v3.30
Author
Homepage

http://www.aida32.hu
Report Type Quick Report
Computer *****
Generator ****
Operating System Microsoft Windows

XP
Professional 5.1.2600
(WinXP Retail)
Date 2003-06-22
Time 15:39

Summary

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft

Windows
XP
Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 1
Computer Name *****
User Name ****
Logon Domain *****

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium

MMX,
233 MHz
Motherboard Name Procomp B583 (3
ISA, 4 PCI, 4 SIMM, 2
DIMM)
Motherboard Chipset Intel Triton

82430TX
System Memory 64 MB (PC100

SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award Modular
(06/12/97)
Communication Port Communications

Port
(COM1)
Communication Port Communications

Port
(COM2)
Communication Port Printer Port

(LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter 3dfx Voodoo3

(16
MB)
3D Accelerator 3Dfx Voodoo3
Monitor Default Monitor

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Creative Labs SB
PCI128 (Ensoniq ES5880)
Sound Card

Storage:
Floppy Drive Floppy disk

drive
Disk Drive WDC AC14300R
Optical Drive MAT****A CD-ROM
CR-583 (8x CD-ROM)

Partitions:
C: (FAT) 4094 MB (1743 MB
free)

Input:
Keyboard PC/AT Enhanced

PS/2
Keyboard
(101/102-Key)
Mouse Microsoft Serial
IntelliMouse

Network:
Network Adapter WAN (PPP/SLIP)
Interface
Modem HSP56 Micromodem

Old June 23rd 03, 09:30 PM
kony

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 10:56:33 -0500, "Joshua Klehm"
wrote:

You can upgrade to a K6/3 500 for about 30 bucks, upgrade the RAM for a
song, and add as much hard drive as you want.

Does his BIOS have specific support for a K6-3? If not, he may need
disable the L2 cache on the CPU, and if the bios doesn't allow for
individual caches being disabled, ALL cache might be, making the
system very slow.

"Many" of the TX boards I've seen will take a K6-3, but the K6-2 is
far more compatible on a non-Super 7, socket 7 board.

Dave
Old June 24th 03, 03:57 AM
Ralph Mowery

You can upgrade to a K6/3 500 for about 30 bucks, upgrade the RAM for a
song, and add as much hard drive as you want.

Toss out the motherboard and buy 1.4 ghz AMD system board with everything on
(vidio and audio) it for about $ 80 add ram and hard drive and ATX case.
It will run rings around the K6 System. I just did that about March. I
think the AMD is a special Duron that is soldered on the board. Did not
bother to really check it out, just installed it and ran it.
The upgrade from a 233 to a 500 AMD is not that great and not worth the
money now.

Old June 24th 03, 08:21 PM
Spajky

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 21:49:32 -0400, Stacey wrote:

Louie T Lizard wrote:
CPU Type Intel Pentium MMX,
233MHz

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP
Professional 5.1.2600
(WinXP Retail)

Oh and upgrade the OS to win98SE.. :-)

LOL, you forgot also www.litepc.com :-)

-- Regards, SPAJKY
- http://freeweb.siol.net/jerman55/HP/Spajky.htm
Celly-III OC-ed "Tualatin on BX-Slot1-MoBo!"
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##