SD card problems

Old August 24th 18, 12:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Mike S

Default SD card problems

I bought a SanDisk Ultra 64GB microSDXC card for my Moto X4 phone so I
could have music on it. I have a SIIG USB 2.0 Multi Card Reader/Writer
that is several years old. The specs include: "Compliant with Universal
Serial Bus 2.0 Specification, Support up to 64GB memory card capacity,
Reads a variety of CF, xD, SD, SDHC, miniSD, microSD..."
One issue I found is when I first started saving files to the card
Windows 7 File Explorer reported that it was writing at 9.1MB/s, but I
notice that the speed steadily drops.
The next issue is that the card didn'preserve files beyond 7.16 GB,
twice it corrupted the files and Windows prompted me to Scan and Fix the
card when it was plugged into the card writer.
Also the write speed can vary now from about 3MB/s to 1 MB/s.
Does this sound like a bad card? It was only $15. Or could this be a bad
SIIG USB card writer?
I'm going to look around for a friend with a computer that has a built
in SD slot to see if I can rule out the SIIG.

Old August 24th 18, 01:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Thu, 23 Aug 2018 16:48:41 -0700, Mike S wrote:

[...]

My old T500 Vista era laptop is much faster when using the
built-in SD card reader - when compared with usb cable -
- to the dash cam or digital camera ..
- sorry - I'm not a techie to explain why .. or know if this helps.
John T.

Old August 24th 18, 03:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Mike S

On 8/23/2018 5:20 PM, wrote:
[...]

Thanks John,
I got access to an HP w7 and am formatting the SD card now, I'll try
writing the files with that, am guardedly optimistic after reading your
post. Thanks.
Mike

Old August 24th 18, 06:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Mike S

On 8/23/2018 7:27 PM, Mike S wrote:
On 8/23/2018 5:20 PM, wrote:
[...]

Â* My oldÂ* T500Â* Vista era Â* laptopÂ* is much faster when using the
built-in SD card readerÂ* -Â* when compared withÂ* usb cable -
- to theÂ* dash camÂ* orÂ* digital camera ..
- sorry -Â* I'm not a techieÂ* to explain why .. or know if this helps.
Â*Â* John T.

Thanks John,
I got access to an HP w7 and am formatting the SD card now, I'll try
writing the files with that, am guardedly optimistic after reading your
post. Thanks.
Mike

I copied files from my desktop to a USB powered external hdd (22.5 MB/s)
then copied from that to the SD card using an HP w7 laptop, the speed
decreased steadily until it leveled off around 4 MB/s copying 26.4 GB
4,138 files, these were the copy speeds:

9.10 MB/s at start
5.04 MB/s at 50%
4.21 MB/s at 75%
3.93 MB/s at 99%

When the copy operation was completed using dir /s *.mp3 the hard drive
showed total files listed as 3532 files (28,369,825,845 bytes) while the
SD card showed total files listed 1307 files (10,990,908,726 bytes) so I
think I have a bad SD card.

Is this kind of drop in write speeds for long write operations normal?
If so, is it a function of heat, so doing multiple smaller writes then
cooling the SD card might result in significant time savings?

Old August 24th 18, 07:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH[_2_]

Mike S wrote:

SanDisk Ultra 64GB microSDXC

https://www.sandisk.com/home/memory-...-microsd-48mbs

They only list the read speed (48 MB/s), not the write speed. All they
mention in the notes is "write speeds lower". Yeah, right, very vague.
They lie about the read speed by not mentioning burst mode became
available in USB 3.0 which your USB 2.0 controller doesn't support; see
http://www.techdesignforums.com/prac...e/use-usb-3-0/. So you
don't really know the read spec of that card when used with USB 2.0 and
they say NOTHING about its write spec. Many users focus only on the
capacity of the card, not its read and write speeds, so they end up with
a slow card. You are saving files to the card which means you are
writing to the card.

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2393486,00.asp

That author said he got 13.5 MB/s for write speed; however, he never
mentioned the size of the files (to determine if they were under the
burst mode size or larger) or if he use USB 2.0 or 3.0.

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/67...iew/index.html

That review is for the larger cards. However, note the change in read
and write speeds under the different test modes. Tiny files don't fare
as well for transfer speed on flash media. You didn't mention the size
of your music files, or how many files you were writing at a time.
https://crystalmark.info/en/software...k-main-window/
gives info on choosing number of test runs (for averaging their
results), test size, and a short description of each test type.

You did not mention how you were saving (writing) the files. Were you
using Windows Explorer, some music library software, or what? Was the
data bus quiescent, so the only data traffic was for the file copying?
You mention "SIIG USB 2.0 Multi Card Reader/Writer" for the card reader
but not its model number. I don't know if that comes with any software.
I remember a USB HDD docking station that came with speed-up software
that did just the opposite. Uninstalling the software got transfer
speeds more consistently higher. I didn't see any software downloads at
http://www.siig.com/download/search/...d=JU-MR0C12-S1 (if that is
your USB card reader).

You also did not mention if the card is formatting using FAT32, exFAT,
or NTFS. Generally NTFS results in faster transfer than FAT32, plus
NTFS doesn't have the 4GB max file size limit of FAT32.

https://www.flexense.com/fat32_exfat...omparison.html

exFAT beats NTFS for some tests; however, exFAT has no journaling to
help protect files from corruption.

You could go into Device Manager to look at the properties of the USB
drive when it is plugged in and recognized. Check the Policies tab to
see if Quick Removal is enabled (for safer handling of the drive) or if
Better Performance is selected (which means you *must* safely eject the
drive before physically disconnecting it; else, some data in the write
cache won't get written to the drive, so you lose data and possibly
corrupt the files). You never mentioned if you were safely ejecting
(which is just a disconnect, not physical ejection) the card before
removing it from the USB card reader or the USB card reader from your
PC's USB port.

You said you have a SIIG USB card reader. You did not mention if you
are using that on a PC or with your Moto X4 phone (don't know if it
could be used that way on the phone). I've not looked into USB transfer
speeds on PCs versus smartphones. My cursory reading of some online
articles has USB ports on smartphones being a lot slower than USB ports
(of the same version, like 2.0 or 3.0 for both) on PCs. OTG (on-the-go)
seems even slower. I only used an OTG drive once with my smartphone and
found it slow (until it died and Samsung replaced it afterwhich I didn't
rely on it anymore). Some phones have USB 3.0 ports while some still
only have USB 2.0. I have the LG V20 whose specs say USB 2.0 but
benchmarking by others shows it has USB 3.0
Old August 24th 18, 09:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

On 8/23/2018 5:20 PM, wrote:
[...]

It's a Class 10 card, which means it's supposed to write
at a minimum of 10MB/sec.

64GB is SDXC. 32GB is SDHC.

What happens when you plug a SDXC capacity device into an SDHC controller ? Dunno.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital

If the product came from Ebay, anything is possible
with regard to counterfeit.

Paul

Old August 24th 18, 11:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
MikeS[_2_]

On 24/08/2018 00:48, Mike S wrote:
[...]

I Googled "SIIG USB 2.0 Multi Card Reader/Writer" and the top hit was
their JU-MR0C12-S1 which I assume is their current model. The spec has a
long list of supported formats but not microSDXC or SDXC.
(CF, xD, SD, SDHC, miniSD, microSD (T-flash), MMC, RS-MMC, MS, MS Duo,
MS Pro Duo, M2)
As yours is several years old that might explain your lost or corrupted
files.

Old August 25th 18, 05:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Mike S

On 8/23/2018 5:20 PM, wrote:
[...]

Â*Â* Paul

Is Amazon better? What do you recommend as far as reputable SD card
sources? Thanks.
Old August 25th 18, 05:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Mike S

On 8/23/2018 11:21 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
Mike S wrote:

SanDisk Ultra 64GB microSDXC

snip
... You didn't mention the size
of your music files, or how many files you were writing at a time.

(Dekstop) I opened 2 Windows 7 File Explorer windows, highlighted and
copied all of the files from the music folder (in one window) from the
hdd and pasted them into the window with the SIIG sd card writer.
(Laptop) I used W7 File explorer in the same way when writing to the SD
card inserted into an SD card slot built into an HP laptop. I don't know
how many files are copied at the same time. The files are varying
quality and lengths, I know this isn't very meaningful but they average
8 MB.

[...]

Great points, the only thing happening on the computer was the file copy
operation, screen and hdd were set to always on in the power options, I
used exFAT for the first 3 write attempts, and NTFS for the latest write
attempt, as you said - it was faster, although there are still corrupt
files/folders after the NTFS copy so I don't know if that skews the
results.

exFAT
9.10 MB/s at start
--------- at 25%
5.04 MB/s at 50%
4.21 MB/s at 75%
3.93 MB/s at 99%

NTFS
7.8 MB/s at start
7.2 MB/s at 25%
5.7 MB/s at 50%
5.2 MB/s at 75%
5.0 MB/s at 99%

snip
I was definitely safely ejecting the drive before removal each time.

Thanks for the links and thoughts.
Mike

Old August 25th 18, 07:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH[_2_]

Did you yet try the CrystalDiskMark tool to see what it says for various
file sizes used in the different tests?

If you get the same behavior on your friend's PC, I'd say try another
$15 64GB SD card but perhaps something other than Sandisk. Team is
another brand I'd stay away from. The Samsung EVO costs more but I've
not had problems with them. Currently bestbuy.com is selling it at $25.
walmart.com (and I mean Walmart, not a storefront for some other seller
at walmart.com) has it for $20 where you can have it shipped free to a
local store and should there be a problem you can return it to a store.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Samsung-6...pter/701252739
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...?skuId=5785404

Those might be sale prices, so swing by your friend's house soon to test
your uSD card on his PC. Try CrystalDiskMark there, too.

Just in case the USB card reader might be the problem, you can get a new
uSD card with SD adapter and card reader for $20, like:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820239984
(but thats Adorama Camera operating a storefront at Newegg)