Q: 3rd monitor on docking staton?

Old April 5th 18, 05:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
x13

Default Q: 3rd monitor on docking staton?

Hi all.

Before this thread goes cold, I'd still like to know :

Has anyone tried using the Kensington Universal Multi-Display Adapter (https://www.kensington.com/en/ae/452...isplay-adapter) on a USB3 port of the docking station itself to add a 3rd monitor ?

a) Would this even work?
(Kensington says in the docs that this is to add a *second* monitor)

b) Would the 3rd display be laggy?
(doesn't have to be blazing fast, this would be for Mail, Excel, Word, etc)

Anything I'm missing, or suggestions?
I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
x13
(please reply in thread)

Old April 5th 18, 07:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

x13 wrote:
Hi all.

Before this thread goes cold, I'd still like to know :

Has anyone tried using the Kensington Universal Multi-Display Adapter (https://www.kensington.com/en/ae/452...isplay-adapter) on a USB3 port of the docking station itself to add a 3rd monitor ?

a) Would this even work?
(Kensington says in the docs that this is to add a *second* monitor)

b) Would the 3rd display be laggy?
(doesn't have to be blazing fast, this would be for Mail, Excel, Word, etc)

Anything I'm missing, or suggestions?
I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
x13
(please reply in thread)

You have to sort through the reviews here carefully,
as five different devices are in the review entries.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kensington-...ws/B00B99FSUS/

But people seem to be happy with it. There was one report of mouse lag.
But generally not the kind of comments I was expecting
(the display adapters in the USB2 era, the
reviews were an earful). Note that RF emissions
from USB3 can affect Bluetooth and Wifi, and
sometimes a wireless mouse, has to be moved away
from the USB3 cabling.

The single biggest source of lag will be Windows. I've tested
with two video cards before (not SLI) and there was lag
between the monitors tied to the two different cards. I don't
think Windows makes the driver calls simultaneously.

There can be "thru-delay" on monitors. Some monitors have
a four frame delay between a byte on the input connector,
versus a pixel on the screen. And with a USB adapter,
there is compression delay. Which could be a bigger
contributor.

I wouldn't go into the purchase, assuming "gen-lock".

To get absolutely locked screens, you need either Eyefinity
type solutions (locking together at the crossbar), or
the usage of the Matrox type solution (which reclocks the
data to multiple output connectors, from what the video card
thinks of as one display). But once multiple devices
are involved, the OS/driver stuff just isn't going to
be synchronized all that well.

Someone measured the latency on a USB3 developer kit,
and got about 30uS. And because USB3 isn't polled, it
doesn't have nearly the issues that the 8KHz polling
rate of USB2 had. I don't expect a problem coming
from the USB3 part of this. But something in
the OS has to compress the pixmap, or compress
deltas to the pixmap, to be sent over the USB3 cable,
and that could be a longer delay. And for a given
one of these components, we don't know the details
of the compression method used, or whether
compression is even used any more (I fully expect
the compression to be "adaptive").

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...ncy-of-usb-3-0

You also have to consider whether there are any
bottlenecks in your particular hardware. The USB3
port on an Intel Southbridge is about the best, because
the hardware bus behind it isn't a bottleneck (effectively
DMI four-PCI-Express-lanes worth). USB3 chips added
to the computer motherboard separately from the
Southbridge, tend to be slower. Maybe you get
220MB/sec or so. For high bandwidth devices (like
the BlackMagic USB3 video recorder), the manufacturer
sometimes includes a measurement tool, to detect
whether you have a "good, better, best" USB3 port.
The BlackMagic product for video capture, needed
a really good port to avoid dropping frames.

You're driving more than one monitor in this case.
The drivers could change compression methods, if
they detect there isn't sufficient bandwidth. And
if one Kensington adapter decides to use a
different level of compression than the other,
that's definitely going to cause a preferential
lag.

Keep a positive attitude, but don't expect miracles.
Be pleasantly surprise, if it's totally seamless.

Paul