Mobile Intel chip height

Old December 8th 15, 09:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Rodney Pont[_5_]

Default Mobile Intel chip height

Does anyone know of somewhere that shows the physical dimensions of
intel cpus? I've done a lot of searching and Intels ark site does show
a lot of information about the chips but not the dimensions (that I can
find anyway).

My Samsung NP550P5C laptop has an i5-3210M in it and I recently bought
an i7-3630QM. This worked for a couple of days but then the lcd panel
display started jumping so that the display wasn't readable. I plugged
an external monitor in the vga port and both displays started working
perfectly. I put the i5 cpu back in and everything is fine so the i7
has to go back.

I chose the i7-3630QM because it was the only quad core I could find
that the NP550P5C used but I'm wondering about an i7-3840QM but that
has a sort of tin can cover on the chip which looks to be a lot higher
than the ones I've tried and I don't think my cooler will fit. This is
a laptop so changing the cooler isn't an option.

--
Faster, cheaper, quieter than HS2
and built in 5 years;

Old December 8th 15, 10:46 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

Rodney Pont wrote:
[...]

On the Ark page, there is a web link to the page with the datasheets.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...resources.html

For a given tech, typical docs are

Datasheet Volume 1
Datasheet Volume 2
Specification Update
Thermal and Mechanical guidelines

Now, you would probably assume that you need

3rd Generation Intel Core Processor Family
Mobile
Thermal and Mechanical guidelines

While it isn't stated there, this information is likely
to be under NDA. If you skim the list, I don't think any
mobile entry has Thermal and Mechanical.

Good luck in your search,
Paul
Old December 8th 15, 05:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Rodney Pont[_5_]

On Tue, 08 Dec 2015 04:46:10 -0500, Paul wrote:

On the Ark page, there is a web link to the page with the datasheets.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...resources.html

For a given tech, typical docs are

Datasheet Volume 1
Datasheet Volume 2
Specification Update
Thermal and Mechanical guidelines

Now, you would probably assume that you need

3rd Generation Intel Core Processor Family
Mobile
Thermal and Mechanical guidelines

While it isn't stated there, this information is likely
to be under NDA. If you skim the list, I don't think any
mobile entry has Thermal and Mechanical.

Good luck in your search,

Thanks, a lot of reading but now I think the 'canned' intel i7-3840qm
I've seen on Amazon is a generic desktop picture rather than the mobile
processor. Datasheet Volume 1 does have mechanical drawings in it for
the mobile gen3 processors so you are spot on!