Seagate and AMD demo 6 Gbps SATA

Old March 9th 09, 07:42 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Yousuf Khan

Default Seagate and AMD demo 6 Gbps SATA

Informational posting, looks like the next generation of SATA is around
the corner.

DailyTech - Seagate Demos 6Gb/sec SATA with AMD

Yousuf Khan
Old March 10th 09, 01:38 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Timothy Daniels[_3_]

"Yousuf Khan" wrote:
Informational posting, looks like the next generation of SATA
is around the corner.

DailyTech - Seagate Demos 6Gb/sec SATA with AMD

Yousuf Khan

What use is a faster interface if disk rotational speed remains
the same?

*TimDaniels*

Old March 10th 09, 06:16 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
YKhan

On Mar 9, 9:38*pm, "Timothy Daniels" wrote:
"Yousuf Khan" wrote:
Informational posting, looks like the next generation of SATA
is around the corner.

DailyTech - Seagate Demos 6Gb/sec SATA with AMD

Yousuf Khan

* * What use is a faster interface if disk rotational speed remains
the same?

I'm still waiting for a SATA chipset that doesn't corrupt data when
more than one SATA drive is put on it. :-)

Yousuf Khan
Old March 10th 09, 09:40 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Andrew Hamilton

"Yousuf Khan" wrote:
Informational posting, looks like the next generation of SATA
is around the corner.

DailyTech - Seagate Demos 6Gb/sec SATA with AMD

Yousuf Khan

* * What use is a faster interface if disk rotational speed remains
the same?

I'm still waiting for a SATA chipset that doesn't corrupt data when
more than one SATA drive is put on it. :-)

Can you elaborate. I just rebuilt the OS on my system, with four SATA
drives. I just added a 1 TB drive so I was re-organizing the
directories. I was copying from several to the 1 TB drive when WHAMMO
!! BSOD 1D if I remember correctly.

Is this what you are talking about?

Which chips? Which SATA controller (vendors)?

Thanks.

Yousuf Khan

Old March 10th 09, 02:02 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Michael Cecil

On Mon, 9 Mar 2009 18:38:32 -0700, "Timothy Daniels"
wrote:

"Yousuf Khan" wrote:
Informational posting, looks like the next generation of SATA
is around the corner.

DailyTech - Seagate Demos 6Gb/sec SATA with AMD

Yousuf Khan

What use is a faster interface if disk rotational speed remains
the same?

Marketing. They want to stick fancy new big labels on their stuff.
--
Michael Cecil
http://home.roadrunner.com/~macecil/
Old March 10th 09, 03:04 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Igor Batinic

Hi!

YKhan wrote:
On Mar 9, 9:38 pm, "Timothy Daniels" wrote:

What use is a faster interface if disk rotational speed remains
the same?

I'm still waiting for a SATA chipset that doesn't corrupt data when
more than one SATA drive is put on it. :-)

Can you elaborate this? I've never seen such a thing, on the various
systems from 2 to 180 disks. )

Best regards,

Iggy
Old March 10th 09, 06:58 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno[_3_]

wrote:

"Yousuf Khan" wrote:
Informational posting, looks like the next generation of SATA
is around the corner.

DailyTech - Seagate Demos 6Gb/sec SATA with AMD

Yousuf Khan

What use is a faster interface if disk rotational speed remains
the same?

Marketing. They want to stick fancy new big labels on their stuff.

Very likely. There are too many people out there that buy
the product with the highest number and have no understanding
whatsoever what the number means. Just look at all the people
that have asked here why their SATA disk does not give them
3Mbps or think it is defective because it does not....

Arno
Old March 10th 09, 11:44 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Timothy Daniels[_3_]

"Arno" wrote:
Michael Cecil pronounced:
Marketing. They want to stick fancy new big labels on their stuff.

Very likely. There are too many people out there that buy
the product with the highest number and have no understanding
whatsoever what the number means. Just look at all the people
that have asked here why their SATA disk does not give them
3Mbps or think it is defective because it does not....

Arno

I wonder if Monster Cable makes a SATA cable using only high
bandwidth copper isotopes.

*TimDaniels*

Old March 12th 09, 07:30 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
YKhan

On Mar 10, 5:40*am, Andrew Hamilton wrote:
I'm still waiting for a SATA chipset that doesn't corrupt data when
more than one SATA drive is put on it. :-)

Can you elaborate. *I just rebuilt the OS on my system, with four SATA
drives. *I just added a 1 TB drive so I was re-organizing the
directories. *I was copying from several to the 1 TB drive when WHAMMO
!! *BSOD 1D if I remember correctly.

Sorry, it was just a little joke about something from another thread
in here that I was making. If you look at the thread entitled, "SATA
drives acting up, is Nforce to blame?", you'll see what I was talking
about.

Basically, the joke was specifically about Nvidia Nforce chipsets,
which have a nasty reputation for corrupting SATA hard disks. Not just
corrupting their data, but corrupting their electronics to the point
of not being able to use them anymore even in any other system. In my
case, it seems to happen when there were more than 1 SATA disk
installed, when the problems start. If you had just one SATA, it was
fine.

Is this what you are talking about? *

Which chips? *Which SATA controller (vendors)?

Since you had 4 SATA drives installed, then it seems likely that you
may have been affected. Do you have an Nvidia chipset in your machine?
It doesn't seem to matter if you have an AMD or an Intel processor,
the common factor seems to be the Nvidia chipset.

Yousuf Khan