Why wouldn't Windows XP have a default driver for the HP OJd145 printer?

Old September 18th 06, 09:29 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Sharon B.

Default Why wouldn't Windows XP have a default driver for the HP OJd145 printer?

Why wouldn't Windows XP have a default driver for the HP OJd145 printer?

In a previous post, I explained why I did not want to install the huge
array of Hewlett Packard (all useless) software that is forced upon me when
all I want to do is enable the HP OfficeJet D145 printer to print on my
Windows XP Service Pack 2 portable computer.

HP explicitly instructs users to install the software BEFORE hooking up the
USB printer (presumably to prevent us from installing the default Windows
XP drivers).

When I did try to install the default Windows XP drivers for the HP D145,
Windows failed to find the drivers, asking for the manufacturers' CDROM
instead.

I ended up installing scores of megabytes of useless HP software just so
that I could print a file to the printer via the USB port. I really wished
I could just install the single printer driver needed to print to the
printer from WinXP SP2.

Do you know how to install just the default Windows driver for the HP OJ
D145 all-in-one printer?

Sharon
Old September 18th 06, 10:54 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Chuck

Only if you can get a download driver update from HP.
More and more mfrs have install CD's that do not permit you to just install
the printer driver. You might check your CD's to see if this is really the
case.
There can be ways other than the default install process. You might also
try emailing HP support.

It is possible that windows will install just the drivers from the HP CD.
Then again, this method is not on the recommended list.

.. .

Old September 18th 06, 11:13 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Thomas Wendell

Sharon B. wrote:
[...]

There is NO Windows default driver for OJ D145....

A quick perusal of HP's home pages found this (watch the wrap):
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...tem=oj-11520-2

"The corporate driver software for the HP Officejet d Series All-In-One
printers consists of a print and TWAIN"/WIA scan driver for local
connections, and a print and web scan driver for network connections. This
software is primarily intended for corporate customers, and does NOT provide
full functionality. The software solution provided here contains Print and
Scan drivers only. All other functions of the Officejet d Series product
will need to be performed from the front panel when this software solution
is in use. "

Did you search?

--
Tumppi
=================================

Old September 18th 06, 11:34 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Jim Macklin

And this is Microsoft's fault? Just a guess, you're blonde.

.. .

Old September 18th 06, 12:45 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Roy G

"Sharon B." wrote in message
.. .
Why wouldn't Windows XP have a default driver for the HP OJd145 printer?

Sharon

Could it be because HP won't give one to Microsoft?

Just so they can force you to install their additional rubbish.

Roy G

Old September 18th 06, 03:56 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bob Headrick

"Sharon B." wrote in message
.. .
[excessive crossposting snipped]
Why wouldn't Windows XP have a default driver for the HP OJd145
printer?

[snip]
Do you know how to install just the default Windows driver for the HP
OJ
D145 all-in-one printer?

According to
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...reg_R1002_USEN
the DeskJet 855 driver is an alternative.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Old September 18th 06, 04:37 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Bruce Chambers

Sharon B. wrote:
Why wouldn't Windows XP have a default driver for the HP OJd145 printer?

Because HP declined to provide one for testing, certification, and
inclusion. (Microsoft doesn't make device drivers for other companies'
products; they do accept other companies' drivers for inclusion on the
installation CD, if those companies pay for testing, etc.)

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Old September 18th 06, 08:39 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Sharon B.

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 05:34:54 -0500, Jim Macklin wrote:

And this is Microsoft's fault?
Just a guess, you're blonde.

Hi Jim Macklin,
I don't think I said it was Microsoft's fault.
If anything, I would think it would be HP's fault if there wasn't a driver
for the Hewlett Packard OfficeJet D145 all-in-one printer (which appears to
be the case).

Apparently HP didn't provide the driver to Microsoft (preferring us to load
their branded HP software instead).
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...tem=oj-11520-2

I do see a helpful hint in this newsgroup that a safe equivalent driver
that Microsoft did receive from HP is to install the DeskJet 855 driver
native in Windows XP so I will try that.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...reg_R1002_USEN

As to your inference, I don't see why this is such a dumb question (do you
ask better questions yourself?). But to answer your question as to whether
or not I'm blond, see me in the Skype forum:
http://forum.skype.com/index.php?sho...l=contact+list
Where I have a profile:
http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showuser=113775
Which shows my pictu
http://forum.skype.com/uploads/av-113775.jpg

Sharon B. Endicott
Old September 18th 06, 08:43 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Sharon B.

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 05:54:34 -0400, Chuck wrote:

Only if you can get a download driver update from HP.
More and more mfrs have install CD's that do not permit you to just install
the printer driver. You might check your CD's to see if this is really the
case.

I DID get the latest CDROM from HP (who kindly sent it at my telephoned
request). Alas, the update CDROM is no different than the original HP
installation CDROM in that it insists on installing almost a hundred
megabytes of HP software just to get the printer driver working on my WinXP
computer.

I called HP support today to ask if I could just install the one teeny tiny
driver but the support person in India said there was no way that would
work.

I will try the other suggestions by this wonderful newsgroup, namely
installing just the driver from the "DeskJet 855" as the wonderful Bob
Headrick suggested at:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...reg_R1002_USEN

Maybe this will allow a teeny tiny driver to be installed instead of a
hundred megabytes of HP software just to get a d145 working.

Sharon B. Endicott
Old September 18th 06, 08:45 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Sharon B.

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 13:13:07 +0300, Thomas Wendell wrote:

There is NO Windows default driver for OJ D145....
Did you search?

Hi Thomas Wendell,
Oh my. Thank you very much for finding that URL stating what I empirically
found out to be true by trial and error (and by calling HP support).

I did run a search of the google groups and did not find that wonderful URL
you sent so I much appreciate your BETTER search (than mine).

I thank you on behalf of me and all HP users who wish to install a teeny
tiny prniter driver instead of more than a hundred megabytes of HP bloat
just to get our printers working.

Thank you very much for the URL!
Sharon B.