Epson C84 Problem

Old August 1st 06, 04:14 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

Default Epson C84 Problem

So I buy ink for my printer and what happens?

Black and magenta don't print. I've tried test prints, and the only
thing that appears on the paper is the Windows logo represented in only
cyan and yellow and faint cyan lines. And yes, I have removed the tape.

I've tried the maintenance options on the CP to no avail. What is wrong?

Old August 1st 06, 11:09 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

Please email me describing the problem and the printer, and I will email
you a copy of my Epson cleaning manual free of charge. No spamming, no
sales, just a free service.

Art

e-printerhelp(at)mvps(dot)org

(at) = @
(dot) = .

Old August 1st 06, 11:47 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Jan Alter

or

wrote:

So I buy ink for my printer and what happens?

Black and magenta don't print. I've tried test prints, and the only
thing that appears on the paper is the Windows logo represented in only
cyan and yellow and faint cyan lines. And yes, I have removed the tape.

I've tried the maintenance options on the CP to no avail. What is wrong?

This is a reprint from another fellow I sent under "C86 ink
problems -7/30/2006".
I think that it's ironic that within the last 3 days 3 people are posting
about the same problem. I can only imagine it's really happening to hundreds
of folks all the time with these printers. It would be helpful to know if
the suggestion below is helpful.

Try this, as I've read of several other folks lately using a C series
printer having the same problem after changing a cartridge for new one and
not getting ink to print from the new cartridge. One fellow, only a couple
of weeks ago wrote back that the procedure worked.
It appears that the valve mechanism on the cartridge may be sluggish and
not really be releasing ink when the spike enters through the broken plastic
membrane to allow ink to flow.
With the printer on, get the printhead to move into cartridge change
position by pushing the droplet button for about a second. Remove the black
and magenta
cartridges and take a straightened out paperclip and push it back and forth
in the open orifice of the cartridge two or three times for each while
holding the
cartridges over some newspaper so as not to get any ink on your furniture.
Replace the cartridges and give it another try.

--
Jan Alter

Old August 4th 06, 02:40 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Jan Alter

"Arthur Entlich" wrote in message
Hi Jan,

One of the suggested procedures in my guide is to place a few drops of the
cleaning solution on the ink nipple and into the ink outlet of the
cartridge. This has several potential benefits. If the ink has gummed up
and become too viscous, this can help dilute it somewhat to get it flowing
again. It also helps to prevent an airlock from developing, and it may
well also do what you are discussing, to help loosen up the spring valve.
The ink nipple should cause the spring valve to open when the cartridge is
installed, under normal circumstances, which should exercise the valve
somewhat. You raise a fair point, however.

Art

wrote:

[...]

Hi Art,

What you prescribe is an excellent point. Although three folks with C
series printers have posted about changing cartridges recently and then not
been able to get ink flow. I'm just considering if an additional or first
problem with these printers might be the spring design that doesn't actuate
the valve to allow new ink to flow when a new cartridge is placed in the
printer, in addition to the Dura-brite ink concoction .

--
Jan

or

Old August 6th 06, 06:22 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

In the majority of cases where the new ink cartridge doesn't work (from
the hundreds of people I have worked with on this problem, mainly with
Durabrite inks) there rae a couple of scenarios that crop up:

1) The ink nipple (that's the spike that punctures the cartridge and
receives the ink from it) surface filter is almost clogged and the time
it takes to replace the cartridge is enough to clog it up, especially if
there is some air ahead of it from the cartridge exchange process.

2) The new cartridge wasn't shaken up enough and there was some pigment
residue in the ink outlet that was enough to finish off the clog.

3) The cleaning station isn't working correctly, so the purge process
doesn't do its job.

Due to:

a) dried ink on the head bottom or surrounding the ink station rubber
seal, not allowing the proper sealing process to occur between the head
surface and the cleaning station.

b) The cleaning station nipple (that's a different nipple... it is the
one that the drainage tube attaches to to bring the waste ink away. It
is the same tube that is used to apply vacuum to the head during
purging) to the drainage/vacuum tube or the tube itself is clogged not
allowing the vacuum to build.

c) The drain/vacuum tube has popped off the nipple on the bottom of the
cleaning station so no vacuum is applied (the tube usually pops off as a
result of a clogged nipple or tube to begin with).

Art