Opinions on 120GB HDD, DVD writer and dual p3 motherboard

Old June 23rd 03, 08:50 AM
Alien Zord

Default Opinions on 120GB HDD, DVD writer and dual p3 motherboard

"Dr Joolz" wrote in message
Hi guys, I have an Asus CUSL2 motherboard and a 80GB HDD, and am

thinking of
getting a 120GB HDD as a 2nd drive in the system, first of all does

anyone
know if the CUSL2 will take 200GB of storage altogether (or 120GB in 1
channel)? And what make do I go for? I've heard that IBM's 180GXP is a

joke,
and WD Cavaliar (or something like that) is noisy. So that kind of

leaves me
with Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 I think, the 80GB I have right now is a

Maxtor
D740X and I'm happy with it, the previous 2 IBMs have both developed

bad
sectors in less than 2 years and I'm utterly disgusted with their

quality.
So I suppose Maxtor is the one to go for? Or are there other

suggestions?

I'm also looking to buy a DVD writer, I heard the Sony "write

everything" is
good as it does write every format, but they seem pricy... I have

about 150
quid to spend and I saw on ebay there are a lot of Pioneer DVR-105 for

sale,
are they any good? They say 15 mins a 4.7GB disc, surely sounds good!

But is
DVD-R going to be terminated in the future and will it play on normal

DVD
players?

Finally, I need a dual s370 motherboard to replace my D6VAA that died

weeks
ago, I've been recommended the VP6 and CUV4X-D (or DLS), but have

found
nothing on ebay. Does anyone know any other good boards? and where to

buy
them?

My old BX chipset based server has two 120GB IDE hard drives as well as
4 SCSI. I chose 5400 rpm Maxtors because the server is ON 24/7 and I was
worried about 7200 rpms lasting under those conditions.

I have the Sony DVD writer and so far its been perfect. Got it for 170
UKP from he
http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acata...Section__.html

For dual CPU mobos check he
http://www.2cpu.com/