"Socket A" vs "Socket 478" (Amd vs Intel)

Old March 26th 04, 04:39 PM
Minstro

I've just read this from tomshardware, september last year:

"Buyers enticed by dual channel DRAM should note one crucial thing: in
theory, a dual-channel memory link does not bring any benefits since the
data rate is limited by the FSB bus's bandwidth. It's fixed at a maximum 200
MHz (Athlon XP 3200+) to give a bandwidth of 3.2 GB/s. Even using fast dual
DDR400 memory with an access time of 6.4 GB/s has no effect on the Front
Side Bus bottleneck of 3.2 GB/s. With that in mind, it's really not so
inappropriate to question dual-channel memory technology on the Socket A
platform."

should i suppose ain't worth paying for dual channel DDR? seems so...

Old March 26th 04, 05:26 PM
S.Heenan

Minstro wrote:
I've just read this from tomshardware, september last year:

"Buyers enticed by dual channel DRAM should note one crucial
thing: in theory, a dual-channel memory link does not bring any
benefits since the data rate is limited by the FSB bus's bandwidth.
It's fixed at a maximum 200 MHz (Athlon XP 3200+) to give a bandwidth
of 3.2 GB/s. Even using fast dual DDR400 memory with an access time
of 6.4 GB/s has no effect on the Front Side Bus bottleneck of 3.2
GB/s. With that in mind, it's really not so inappropriate to question
dual-channel memory technology on the Socket A platform."

should i suppose ain't worth paying for dual channel DDR? seems
so...

Given a Nforce2 Ultra 400 based motherboard, using 2x256MB modules compared
to 1x512MB module gives a memory bandwidth improvement of 2%. This is not a
good reason to choose the Nforce2 chipset. Overclocking is the main reason I
prefer the NF2. Stability is another. This is not to say VIA or SiS chipsets
for Socket A are a poor choice. Asrock produces economical motherboards
based on VIA and SiS chipsets which offer good overall performance. These
are certainly worth a look.

Old March 26th 04, 11:47 PM
~misfit~

Minstro wrote:
What about QDI Kudoz 7X series for a motherboard?

AMD nForce2 ULTRA AN7 (uGuru) costs ................. 120 euros.
AMD VIAKT400A KUDOZ 7X/400A-6AL costs ...... 66 euros.
AMD VIAKT400A KUDOZ 7X/600A-6AL costs ...... 69 euros.

Is it worth paying the double?

I wouldn't use a Via board if you gave it to me. That isn't blind prejudice,
it's from years of experience and having used a few. (Although, must admit,
I haven't used a recent chipset one. Why would I? I've had nothing but
trouble with them in the past and, if I've got them stable then I find they
are slow).

I use and strongly recommend the Soltek SL-75FRN2-L nForce2 Ultra 400 mobo.
No fancy SATA, firewire or RAID, just a cheap, fast, very reliable and
overclocker-friendly motherboard. I've built five systems using this board
and haven't a had a problem yet. Plus, it runs my XP1800+ at 200Mhz x 10.5
for 2.1Ghz, dual channel for that extra 3-5% memory bandwidth. And that's
not using fancy dual channel kits, just two modules of inexpensive PC3200
RAM of the same brand bought at the same time.

My 2c.
--
~misfit~

"S.Heenan" escribió en el mensaje
I suggested the 2600+ retail model in the interest of economy. A
motherboard using the Nforce2 Ultra400 chipset will maximize
performance. Abit, Asus, and Gigabyte all make fine boards.

Old March 26th 04, 11:59 PM
~misfit~

Minstro wrote:
Must confess i'm a bit confused; sure i think i'll take the
Athlon XP 2600+ option, but, how many cores are available besides
Barton for that model? why should i take Barton core? which are it's
advantages? (up to now, i hadn't worried about cores; mean don't know
nothing about them).

Thanks for all the answers, they've been of great help.

There have been four XP2600+ core Athlon XPs made. (To the best of my
knowledge) The first ran on a 133Mhz FSB and was only produced in limited
numbers, the second ran on a 166Mhz FSB. These were both Tbred B core CPUs
with 256KB L2 cache and were multipier-unlocked. Now there is the Barton
2600+ with 512KB L2 cache and the Thornton 2600+ with 256KB L2 cache. Both
are multiplier-locked although there may have been a few early Bartons that
weren't.

I wouldn't buy any of them, unless I had a board that was limited to 133Mhz
FSB and could get my hands on a 133 model (next to impossible). I would get
an XP2500+ and put it in an nForce board with PC3200 RAM and run it at
200Mhz FSB for XP3200+ speed. The extra L2 cache is equivalent to another
200Mhz speed as far as performance goes. (In my opinion/experience,
depending on use). The 2500 model has a far greater chance of running on a
200Mhz FSB, virtually guaranteed, whereas, with the 2600 with it's higher
multiplier, there is a chance it won't do it. If you're not OC'ing then go
with whatever is the fastest Barton you can afford.
--
~misfit~