Using an external monitor with HP Pavilion dv6t-3100 Select EditionEntertainment laptop

Old August 24th 17, 04:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Default Using an external monitor with HP Pavilion dv6t-3100 Select EditionEntertainment laptop

On 8/13/2017 7:43 PM, Paul wrote:

Hi Paul,

Your response did not come through. Perhaps, my news-server did not get it.

Your insightful advice is always appreciated and is welcome.
Old August 24th 17, 04:57 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

t wrote:
On 8/13/2017 7:43 PM, Paul wrote:

Hi Paul,

Your response did not come through. Perhaps, my news-server did not get it.

Your insightful advice is always appreciated and is welcome.

That group is actually archived on GG. Whereas Win7 and Win10 groups
happen not to be archived.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...re/tBsVqjndo2M

*******

When you have two GPUs in a laptop

NVidia GPU + Intel GPU = NVIDIA Optimus (Bumblebee on Linux)

( https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/bumblebee )

( https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PRIME )

ATI/AMD just doesn't seem quite as interested in this approach.
Perhaps it's a patent issue (Nvidia has patent?).

https://superuser.com/questions/7289...s-in-windows-7

And my comment remains the same. It appears driver updates
of one sort or another, are most likely to fix it.

At least on the NVidia side, the solution is "spooky". Only
one chip drives the graphics ports. When the other chip is enabled,
it DMA transfers the frame buffer info, into the frame buffer of
the other chip. The chip driving the I/O. So rather than taking
two display signals and installing a "mux" to select one or another,
the dual GPU design is memory-space based. One chip is always
driving the panel, and either it displays stuff placed in the
buffer by itself, or the other driver DMA transfers the frame
contents into the port-owning chip.

Now, how does the ATI/AMD one work ? Dunno.

I got a name here for the ATI one. ATI/AMD Switchable Graphics.

https://community.amd.com/docs/DOC-1...s_T echnology

You need to probe this hardware somehow, to see if the display
"ports" are declared anywhere. Like in Xrandr, I could discover
my other machine called itself "CRT1", even though it was using
a VGA port on a 6450 AMD card. If the Intel GPU has multiple
ports, and it's the proxy for display driving, then getting a
good driver into it may be all that's needed. To support
either GPU to work under Switchable Graphics.

Note that, in terms of how GPUs work, they can have HDMI, DVI,
VGA ports. But they also have parallel busses, and external
display driver chips run off those busses (Silicon Image DVI chip).
The panel in a laptop could be LVDS and running off a digital bus,
rather than a conventional connector. I would expect Xrandr
to have some kinda funky name for that. I don't know what
a proper name would be.

I saw one comment that claims AMD doesn't do it that way any more.
No idea what they would have replaced that with.

There was a time when the number of ports on a mobile device
were limited. But the limit should start at "two", not "one".
And some can do "two of three" now, but how would you use that ?

On a laptop, typically the panel is one port, the external connector
covers the second head. If the Intel chip is "the boss", the driver
should make both ports work, and the "F key trick" should cycle
through the display options.

Paul