vga to displayport adapter

Old February 16th 17, 04:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
micky

Default vga to displayport adapter

I have use of a v. nice Mac monitor with a display port connection. To
use with my pc laptop.

So went looking for a vga to displayport adapter and google brought up
Staples, Gearbest, and Amazon, and provided search pages for each of
them, and even though I was searching for

vga to displayport adapter

every hit was for the opposite, displayport to vga.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...KLH 99UU82MWX

Am I looking for something that doesn't exist?

But this page
http://smallbusiness.chron.com/apple...-pc-70386.html says
"DisplayPort and Mini Display Port
Apple monitors that use the DisplayPort connection standard are
fully-compatible with PCs. The DisplayPort standard was designed to
compliment the HDMI standard and has similar performance over a smaller
port. According to PCWorld, DisplayPort is intended for use with
computer monitors while HDMI is intended for consumer devices. PCs that
have built-in DisplayPort connections can use Apple's DisplayPort
monitors without the need for an adapter. However, VGA-, DVI- and
HDMI-supporting PCs can use adapters to connect to DisplayPort monitors.

=== It says just above that there are adapters but I can't find one.

The VGA standard requires a digital-to-analog conversion and
consequently features a larger adapter. DisplayPort and MiniDisplay
ports can be interchanged with adapters as well."

This alternative question seems harder to answer, and I might be able to
find out the model number or at least the "name" of the monitor in
question, but... Alternatively you could if you want check out this
Mac monitor, but you probably don't have to answer the questions below,
at B).

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-...rame/5712657.p
and then click on the 4th picture and it has inputs for displayport,
hdmi, vga, and some round thing I don't recognize.

B) But the point is that it has VGA. Is that "standard"? Or is it
standard for Samsung. Or do most monitors not have VGA?

This series is still for sale, but there was one that looked similar**,
was separate from the computer and had a similar stand, a few years
ago, that's only for sale used now, None of the pictures show the
back. Would VGA have been standard on that too. Or at least on some of
them?

It's really not worth your time to look at this, because someone will
answer my questions without looking, but I'm including it anyhow.
The monitors that look the one in my picture are found after these
descriptions, which are in chronological order.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/ma...ictures-24596/
28 June 2004: 30 inches or bust Apple calls its 30in Cinema Display “the
largest high resolution display ever created.
And
30 November 2012: Skinny Macs We love the way that the iMac has evolved
every few years, the most recent update made the desktop Mac even
slimmer. There is no more beautiful computer.

30 November 2012: Skinny Macs

I'm working from a photograph that includes the monitor, and when I
looked through
Old February 16th 17, 05:57 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

micky wrote:
[...]

Here is a VGA to HDMI.

"Portable VGA to HDMI Converter 1080P at 60HZ" --- 1920x1080

http://www.primecables.com/p-331692-...FQMHaQodyHQPBg

Here is an HDMI to DisplayPort

https://www.startech.com/ca/AV/Conve...erter-4k~HD2DP

I think really, it's just a matter of "keep looking" :-)
Those are the first hits I could find, to cobble
together a solution.

No, I don't think finding one will be easy.

If you expect an all-in-one solution, the box is liable
to be larger than those converters.

I would not stop searching, until I found one,
as the cobbling might not be as seamless as you would
want. But at least I can find two separate functions
to get from A to B.

Also remember that VGA ports had around a 400MHz bandwidth
limit, and maybe 2048x2048 is about as big a picture as they
could produce. That means 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 might
be theoretically possible, but the image quality doing
high res might not be that good. VGA is analog, the 15 pin
connector is not the best connector for the job, and so
maybe 1600x1200 is a reasonable limit for VGA. You need to
compare that to the "native" of the Mac monitor.

This is what the VGA connector *should* have looked like.
The 13W3 is a better solution to transmitting analog signals.
It was the standard connector on Sun computers. The three
coaxial connectors could be set up to match the coaxial
cable they were connected to. By comparison, the transmission
qualities of the DB15 VGA are not as good (reflections off
the pins).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DB13W3

*******

It helps to know:

1) Whether the laptop has any output limits on its VGA.
Only a really old laptop would have that problem.
2) The native resolution of the Mac monitor.
3) Whether the laptop has enough USB ports to be
providing power for the conversion. A 5V wall wart
with USB connectors for output, could be used to
power the adapters, rather than abuse the laptop :-)

*******

The round connector could be a mini-DIN for S-video. That's
the connector on the back of your VCR. Four pins would be
used, luminance and chrominance, and two ground signals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Video

"a signaling standard for standard definition video,
typically 480i or 576i. By separating the black-and-white
and coloring signals, it achieves better image quality than
composite video, but has lower color resolution than
component video."

The miniDIN has also been used by ATI and NVidia, on their video
cards. The two companies do not use the same pinout. The mini-DIN
can have 7 pins or 9 pins. The connector can be used for "Output"
or for "VIVO". When used for Output, it can do YPbPr, otherwise
known as Component Video. There are some nice projection displays
that use Component Video, with excellent output.

But due to the lack of standardization, when we randomly see
a miniDIN on a piece of equipment (like a VCR), it's natural
to assume S-Video, and that's all that you're getting.
Naturally, 480i sucks. And due to DC restoration problems,
very few video card miniDIN outputs look good if used
directly on a TV set. I "launder" mine here, by running the
S-Video through a channel 3 RF converter, then connecting to
the antenna terminal on the TV set. It almost looks presentable
then. Without the RF converter, the picture looks like ****.
You would think such a conversion would degrade the picture,
but the picture actually looks better. I run a DVD player through
that converter right now (as running the computer through it
was just for testing whether I could fix the DC restoration
problem or not).

If you have a large screen TV, it may have three coax connectors
on the back, with the YPbPr labeling. They stopped making video
cards to drive that, maybe ten years ago. Providing such
outputs, allows "pirates to copy movies" etc. Terrible.
Naughty pirates. Naughty pirates also prevent us from having
all the "toys" we might want, like an infinitely capable
converter box for Micky. "DMCA". Nuff said.

This cable, shows a passive conversion from an NVidia card,
to S-video and others. The left hand end plugs into the video
card. The right hand end and the miniDIN on that end, would
be suited for a VCR etc. The left hand end, has a different
number of pins than the right hand end.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:V...tter_cable.jpg

You can see the video card flavors, here. There should be
a picture of the seven pin flavor around somewhere. What should
happen with these, is the four S-video pins should occupy the
same locations on all of the connector flavors. That should
be the only "standard"... The other pins, being non-standard,
are free to "float around" when they design a connector. Don't
lose the adapter that came with your video card.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...-9_Diagram.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:M...-9_Diagram.svg

One of the reasons I bought the video card that is on
this computer, is it still has the miniDIN on it. I don't
have any equipment to connect it to, but at least I
own one :-) Mine appears to be the seven pin type.
The cable in the box, is seven-pin to YPbPr and that's
all. Unfortunately, I don't own anything with YPbPr input,
to test the goodness of YPbPr (which is miles better than
S-Video).

Paul
Old February 16th 17, 07:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

micky wrote:
I have use of a v. nice Mac monitor with a display port connection. To
use with my pc laptop.

So went looking for a vga to displayport adapter and google brought up
Staples, Gearbest, and Amazon, and provided search pages for each of
them, and even though I was searching for

vga to displayport adapter

every hit was for the opposite, displayport to vga.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...KLH 99UU82MWX

Am I looking for something that doesn't exist?

The advantage of the Startech products, is they list the
chip used.

https://www.startech.com/AV/Converte...-1080p~VGA2HDU

One reviewer here, mentions that an attempt to output at 720p,
the chip output 1080p instead.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16815158397

The MS9282 is the chip in the adapter. And it's not clear whether
it is actually passing through the DDC EDID information or not.
Or for that matter, how it interacts with the monitor resolution info.

http://en.macrosilicon.com/info.asp?...d=2&third_id=3

Paul
Old February 16th 17, 05:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Adrian Caspersz

On 16/02/17 04:19, micky wrote:
I have use of a v. nice Mac monitor with a display port connection. To
use with my pc laptop.

So went looking for a vga to displayport adapter and google brought up
Staples, Gearbest, and Amazon, and provided search pages for each of
them, and even though I was searching for

Does your laptop have HDMI?

Alternatively, if your pc laptop has USB 3.0 you could use an external
graphics adaptor to drive DisplayPort. Some of them are quite capable
for web & office graphics, but not gaming.

StarTech.com Slim USB 3.0 to DisplayPort Adapter - External Video Card
for Multi-monitor DP - 2048 x 1152 and 1080p
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-.../dp/B0144NRTQQ

--
Adrian C
Old February 17th 17, 07:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
micky

In alt.comp.hardware, on Thu, 16 Feb 2017 17:06:17 +0000, Adrian
Caspersz wrote:

On 16/02/17 04:19, micky wrote:
I have use of a v. nice Mac monitor with a display port connection. To
use with my pc laptop.

So went looking for a vga to displayport adapter and google brought up
Staples, Gearbest, and Amazon, and provided search pages for each of
them, and even though I was searching for

Does your laptop have HDMI?

No.

Alternatively, if your pc laptop has USB 3.0 you could use an external

Nope.

graphics adaptor to drive DisplayPort. Some of them are quite capable
for web & office graphics, but not gaming.

StarTech.com Slim USB 3.0 to DisplayPort Adapter - External Video Card
for Multi-monitor DP - 2048 x 1152 and 1080p
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-.../dp/B0144NRTQQ

Thanks anyhow.

Paul, thanks to you too. I might spend $20 to do this using the
adapter you found, but of course that only gets me to HDMI. Then the
thing you found to go to Displayport is 90 more dollars!! For 110, I
could buy a whole monitor, maybe even a new one.

The video card does't put out high def but wouldnt' two conversions
still degrade the picture?