UK laptop suggestions

Old June 23rd 03, 10:26 PM
Richard Hayden

Default UK laptop suggestions

Hi,

I have £1100 to spend on a laptop. I'm just wondering if anyone could
provide any suggestions; I'm looking for as high-end as I can afford with
the aforementioned budget, but am not so concerned with aspects such as the
video card, as it will not be used for games. A good processor (2+ GHz) and
512+ Mb RAM are required, with as large as possible screen size.

I'm currently looking at the Dell Outlet store, and have found some very
good offers on re-conditioned Dell Inspiron 8500s, with nice 15.4" screens.
Any comments on either Dell Outlet or that model? Any other suggestions of
models/manufacturers etc.?

Thanks,

--

Richard Hayden )

Webmaster: http://www.dx-dev.com

DXOS (My Operating System): http://dxos.dx-dev.com

"I know that I have no right to divide by zero; but there are so many other
values which the expression by which I am dividing might have that I will
assume that the Evil One has not thrown a zero in my denominator this time."

--Maxime Bôcher

---
Outgoing mail from Richard Hayden is certified Virus Free.

Old June 24th 03, 02:47 AM
Amethyst

Richard Hayden wrote:
Hi,

I have £1100 to spend on a laptop. I'm just wondering if anyone could
provide any suggestions; I'm looking for as high-end as I can afford with
the aforementioned budget, but am not so concerned with aspects such as

the
video card, as it will not be used for games. A good processor (2+ GHz)

and
512+ Mb RAM are required, with as large as possible screen size.

I'm currently looking at the Dell Outlet store, and have found some very
good offers on re-conditioned Dell Inspiron 8500s, with nice 15.4"

screens.
Any comments on either Dell Outlet or that model? Any other suggestions of
models/manufacturers etc.?

Thanks,

For computing hell, buy a Dell. After-sales and technical support is
non-existent. If it was me, I'd shop elsewhere.

--
Cassandra
Card carrying member of the Fresh Start Club 'The Undead Are People Too!'

Reply address is fake. Please send all praise, abuse, insults, bequests
of £1million to cassandra (at) craigy34 (dot) freeserve (dot) co (dot)
uk. Change the obvious to the obvious.
Private requests for assistance will not be acknowledged. Please post all
correspondence to the group so that all may benefit. Thank you.

Old June 24th 03, 10:29 AM
Alien Zord

"Richard Hayden" wrote in message
I have £1100 to spend on a laptop. I'm just wondering if anyone could
provide any suggestions; I'm looking for as high-end as I can afford

with
the aforementioned budget, but am not so concerned with aspects such

as the
video card, as it will not be used for games. A good processor (2+

GHz) and
512+ Mb RAM are required, with as large as possible screen size.

I'm currently looking at the Dell Outlet store, and have found some

very
good offers on re-conditioned Dell Inspiron 8500s, with nice 15.4"

screens.
Any comments on either Dell Outlet or that model? Any other

suggestions of
models/manufacturers etc.?

One of my clients, a software developer with a large number of Dell
notebooks has nothing but problems with them. And the biggest problem of
all is that Dell are failing to fix them. Out of warranty repair costs
are horrendous, a replacement keyboard is 100 UKP alone.

Currently our favoured replacement for the Dells is this one:
http://www6.tomshardware.com/mobile/20030528/index.html